Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Procedures of getting work visa? (before entering country?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerohaha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Procedures of getting work visa? (before entering country?) Reply with quote

I'm not from an EU country but I hold a passport that allows me a 2 or 3-month visa-free stay/entry to MANY countries in Europe (imagine it to ALL countries for my following questions). If I have already got a job offer, what are the usual steps of getting a work visa IF:

(1) Question IF the school is in a EU country?

(2) Question IF the school is in a non-EU country?

In both cases, do/should employers usually help the overseas applicant (i.e. me) get some sort of document to show to the customs? (Is the contract the ONLY work document I will get before arrival?) Or do employers usually just help the teachers AFTER they've arrived at the school (i.e. the teacher has to enter using a tourist visa which will be later changed to work visa?)

(3) Question My THIRD question: Will people at the customs check not allow me into the country if I only have a ONE-WAY plane ticket and can't provide any employment document?

I have never been to an EU country. Any detailed explanation will be appreciated!

Thank you very much. Smile

Carol
Rhialto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't said whgat your country actually is. And you are asking about 20 or so different countries, each of which will have slightly different procedures. I don't think yo could have made yo8ur question much vaguer. Be more specific if you want a helpful answer that will contain useable information.

The EU is not monolithic. Neither is the "not-EU".

In practical terms, your best bet is to ask at the embassy of the relevant country.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some countries, both non-EU and EU allow people to enter with one way tickets. If you are a USA citizen, go to travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html

I entered China with a one way ticket and a six month visa, no questions, were asked.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be mistaking an entry visa and a work permit.
They are two different documents.

There are 15 EU countries at the moment and they each have slightly different rules and regulations. As of May 2004 ther will be another 10 EU countries.
BUT
You cannot obtain a work permit when you are in the country.

You can only obtain a work permit when you are in your own country.
So generally you come across to EU country "A"
Find a job
Go home to your own country
Obtain a work permit from the country "A" Embassy in your own country.

Go back to country "A" and start working.

Simple isn't it ?
kerohaha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: What are the documents teachers should get before arrival? Reply with quote

Thank you for all the information

rogan wrote:

You cannot obtain a work permit when you are in the country.

Do schools usually arrange the work permit documents and send them across before the teacher comes to the country? sounds unrealistic eh?

So I imagine Idea , the general hiring process is like the overseas teacher and the school both sign a contract before they arrive at the country. The teacher will enter the country with tourist visa, then the school will help the teacher deal with all the paperwork to apply for a work permit (somehow they can do it in the country), am I right?

rogan wrote:
You can only obtain a work permit when you are in your own country.........

I'm from Hong Kong and am interested in working in Romania. However, there's no Romanian embassy here! so WHERE can I apply for the work permit?

Thank you!
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my situation.

My husband and I applied for jobs in Poland. We were accepted and the school sent us formal Letters of Intent along with contracts. Once we returned the signed contracts, along with scans of our passports and diplomas, the school went to the local government and applied for our work permits.

We received the work permits last week. My husband flew to the US today to get our work visas--which we couldn't get without the work permits. And we couldn't get the work permits without a solid job offer.

Quote:
So I imagine, the general hiring process is like the overseas teacher and the school both sign a contract before they arrive at the country. The teacher will enter the country with tourist visa, then the school will help the teacher deal with all the paperwork to apply for a work permit (somehow they can do it in the country), am I right?

This, I imagine, depends entirely on the country's laws and the school you wish to work at. For example, I entered Hungary under a tourist visa, and when I got a full-time job, I had to leave Hungary and go to the Hungarian Embassy in Vienna to change my visa status. Now, however, that's not possible, and Hungary now says you must return to your home country to get your visa.

Your best bet would be to check the Romanian Embassy's website for your home country. Most Embassy websites have visa information.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something for Romania.
http://www.sol.org.uk

I too am interested in teaching over there. Please, Let me know if you find any other information about it. BTW, Romania's not joining in 2005
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do schools usually arrange the work permit documents and send them across before the teacher comes to the country? sounds unrealistic eh?

Romania MAY be a candidate country for EU entry in 2007

"Sounds unreasonable eh" - no. Just ridiculous when there are thousands o Irish, Brits, Scots and Welch who don't need to jump through these hoops.
lajzar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds unreasonable eh" - no. Just ridiculous when there are thousands o Irish, Brits, Scots and Welch who don't need to jump through these hoops.

Its called reciprocity. All EU member states must have reciprocal freedom of movement for work purposes. I imagine any day now a reciprocal agreement will be made between Romania and the USA, enabling you to achieve your lifelong ambition of working there. And probably depopulating Romania in the process Twisted Evil
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: