Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Settling In

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanicman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Pre-Settling In Reply with quote

I'm almost in Saudi but got detoured by red tape. I need some help with settling in:

(1) Is it OK to get a local driver's license with a US or Korean driver's license? How long does it take?

(2) Do local ATMs accept Canadian Interac ATM bank cards? Could I easily withdraw money (in an emergency) from a Saudi ATM using my Canadian ATM bank card (uses Interac, Plus systems)?

(3) How can foreigners working at one school to visit other compounds? Do they need to be invited by a resident of that compound?

(4) Would bringing into Saudi western vitamin pills, Aspirin, or medical lotions (e.g., unprescribed antibiotic lotion) be OK? What about bringing in medical pills or lotions stuff that's written in Korean?

Thanks. Titanicman
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) With a US licence you should be able to drive here. You will have to have your licence plates translated into Arabic if you hope to bring your own car.

2) ATMs accept most foreign cards. If not, you should be issued with a local card once you get a bank account.

3) These days, security is very tight in most compounds. Yes, you will have to be invited (by name) by a resident of that compound.

4) You really don't need to bring a load of medical stuff into KSA, unless you have specific needs. Eveerything is available here - usually over the counter - and is generally cheaper than in most countries. However, if you really do want to load your bags with vitimin pills, etc. then you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Baggage searches tend not to be too strict these days - I've heard they're considerably worse in Jeddah than in Riyadh. That said, if the customs man does decide to search your bags, and if he did discover your stash, you might have a lot of explaining to do. As I say, it's a small - but unneccesary - risk.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: ksa today Reply with quote

What you need in the way of pharmaceuticals you will be able to get in KSA. I would not bring things with me.

ATM system in KSA is sophisticated. Cards from outside KSA can be used. Sometimes slow. Most expatriates now have a Saudi bank account with ATM card. I use the RiyadhBank for the simple reason that my employer banks with them.

Other banks are
Saudi-American (Citibank)
Saudi_British (HSBC)
Saudi-Fransi
Saudi-Hollandi
National Commercial
Al-Rajhi
and there are others.

Visiting compounds can be a hassle. Arrange in advance. Carry ID. Best is the IGAMA which is theSaudi National ID card for foreigners. You should have this with you at all times in any case. If you don't you could be in trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: