Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peru- Trujillo and Monterrico?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanisay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Peru- Trujillo and Monterrico? Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me anything about Trujillo and Monterrico in Peru? I'm looking at schools in both places, but can't seem to find much info on the area. Monterrico appears to be a district of Lima- is it far away from the city? How big is Trujillo- is there much to do there, a nightlife, etc.? Thanks a lot.
orly_porly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: peru Reply with quote

I know your message is quite old, but if you are still thinking of going, this might help you a little.

I was in Peru last year and visited Trujillo. It was very hot when I was there (April) and there didn't seem to be much night life. There is a beach "resort" area not too far from Trujillo city called Mancora. It attracts a lot of travellers and surfers. In January and February there are a lot of vacationers from Chile and Argentina. Mancora is a very small town, and I didn't find it especially nice. I wouldn't imagine there would be many English teaching jobs there.

Lima would have more to offer in terms of teaching English. It is a huge city with a lot of poverty and petty crime. Mugging is common, and you have to be on your guard, especially if you look like a tourist. I met an American guy who had been living and teaching in Lima for 2 years. He loved it and had great things to report, except that he was attacked on two separate occasions. He was working at a University in Lima and was getting paid quite well, especially for SA. I believe it was $2000US/month.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Asians fare in Peru? I have this fear that Latinos think us Chinos have money. A Korean-Brazilian told me he loves Brazil but is afraid of kidnappings -- two of his Korean-Brazilian friends were kidnapped and held for ransom.
orly_porly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few asians in Peru, and I didn't notice any ill-treatment. I wouldn't know how they were treated in reality, but there was no obvious signs of hatred.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_porly wrote:
There are quite a few asians in Peru, and I didn't notice any ill-treatment. I wouldn't know how they were treated in reality, but there was no obvious signs of hatred.

I would think since it once elected an ethnic Asian as president (I know, he turned out to be a freakin' crook later), the image of asianos would be good.

I also wonder what teaching opportunities there would be for Asian native speakers in Peru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: