Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting married in Peru and other questions!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Getting married in Peru and other questions!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am currently living and teaching in Mexico City. My fiance is Peruvian and we are planning on getting married this year. I have heard two different stories about marriage in Peru from various people. The first one go's like this: It's a nightmare, takes a long time, the paperwork is horrendous, and it's not cheap. The other story is this:(In Lima at least) It's quite easy, only cost about $100US, and all you need is a passport. I'm an American and we both have Mexican work visas.

I would like to not have any headaches or surprises. Also, I have heard that it takes two years to get Peruvian citizenship, would I need to be living in Peru for those two years?

How is the job market in Peru?

And finally, what about crime? I have heard from several people(Peruvians) that Lima and Peru are more dangerous than Mexico, what do you think?

Thanks!!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, The Ultimate Peru List and lots of answers, including about getting married. It has the step you have to go through as well as links.

The first one is correct, it-s a nightmare. Took me four months, and I was expecting it to take six.

As far as Peruvian citizenship, once you have residency, which is another nightmare, takes at least a month, often more, mine took two, but the school hired someone to do all my paperwork. So after you have residency for two consecutive years.

Job market is good, average around 500 USD a month, depending on where you go and experience you have.

Crime, I don-t understand why Peru gets such a bad rap, it-s not bad. Lima is just like any other city, if you-re street smart, 99% of the time you will be fine.

If you have more qs, PM me.
vin1127

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Crime, I don-t understand why Peru gets such a bad rap, it-s not bad. Lima is just like any other city, if you-re street smart, 99% of the time you will be fine.

Naturegirl,

Not sure how long you've lived in Lima, but crime is definetly on the rise. I am from NYC and i'd have to say Lima is much worst in regards to crime. Of course most are property crimes, but i have heard many scary stories. Even in the upscale areas, many friends have been robbed at gunpoint in taxis. I had 2 cellphones robbed in less than a 3 month period. Here in Arequipa it feels much safer, but i always have my guard up.

So like you said, if you have street smarts, and keep your guard up always especially at night we should be able to avoid many bad stuations.

Cuidate,
Vin
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vin1127 wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Naturegirl,
Not sure how long you've lived in Lima, but crime is definetly on the rise. I am from NYC and i'd have to say Lima is much worst in regards to crime. Of course most are property crimes, but i have heard many scary stories. Even in the upscale areas, many friends have been robbed at gunpoint in taxis. I had 2 cellphones robbed in less than a 3 month period. Here in Arequipa it feels much safer, but i always have my guard up.

So like you said, if you have street smarts, and keep your guard up always especially at night we should be able to avoid many bad stuations.
Cuidate,
Vin

Been here six months. Guess it also depends where you live, the transport you take and what you do on the weekends. My husband feels the same way and would like for us to move to Trujillo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: