Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good sites for job hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Good sites for job hunting Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie on this part of the page. I've been in Japan for a bit too long now and i'm looking for a break. Had an amazing trip to Singapore this new year and i'm thinking of moving there. I've travelled all over asia but never found somewhere I want to live in so much for many different reasons.
I have a question which may have been done before but do you know any good websites to start my search for a job? I dont have a PGCE or any such a certificate but so i'll have to look for work in a language school rather than the state system which is what i've been doing in Japan for a long time.
Any information would be great.
Thanks
PlasticPill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm wrong, but from what I gathered, Singapore does not have many language schools like other asian countries. This is because the official language is English. (English, Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil) but English is already extensively used, thus the need is not as great as in Japan.

More importantly, Singapore is more strict on qualifications. A masters/doctorate would certainly find SOME type of work....but a bachelors ( 4 year degree equivalent) might struggle in finding work. Things are not cheap in Singapore, though coming from Japan this shouldn't be anything new.

Perhaps a teacher already in Singapore could post more. I'm only sharing what I've found to be true. Teaching in Singapore seems to be a "hush-hush" topic to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Goos sites for job hunting Reply with quote

What ever you do keep a keen look out for violations of Singapore's Workplace Laws by scum bag "Language Schools." One pertainment part follows:

To all teachers currently engaged in employment at language schools and prospective teachers who are contemplating work at schools on the Island of Singapore.

As a precursor to employment as a teacher in Singapore, you should make yourself conversant with terms and conditions of contracts which breach Singapore�s Employment Legislation. Also be knowledgeable of Singapore�s Labour Act and its Laws!

A portion of quotation from the Ministry of Manpower follows:

Quote: ----------------- that as your Employment Contract provides different length of notice required to be served for termination of contract by you and your ex-employer, ----------------------------------------, such clause is deemed invalid, null and void. Under such circumstance, Section 10 of the Employment Act (EA) shall apply:

� Section 10 of EA
Either party to a contract of service may at any time give to the other party notice of his intention to terminate the contract of service.

The length of such notice shall be the same for both employer and employee and shall be determined by any provision for the notice in the terms of the contract of service, or, in the absence of such provision, shall be in accordance with the following provision:

(a) one day's notice if he has been so employed for less than 26 weeks;
(b) one week's notice if he has been so employed for 26 weeks or more but less than 2 years;
(c) 2 weeks' notice if he has been so employed for 2 years or more but less than 5 years; and
(d) 4 weeks' notice if he has been so employed for 5 years or more.� END of quote.

Further to the above you may find yourself working six days a week with a cheque paid on the due day of the month. However, your cheque may take up to seven days to clear which means you are actually paid (have access to your money) late.

Remember that there are more than 28 days in a month so the days numbered 29, 30 and 31 which you work may not infact be paid for.

Or, if you do your home work, you may be dismayed at the actual hourly rate offered to you when the extra days are taken into account over the whole year! Work things out for your self!

Also, you may be required to have a mobile phone so the Language School can call you on a moments notice and for you to go in to do an evaluation of a prospective student hours prior to your normal start time. Time will not be your own.

As an EX teacher from that City State, my personal experience requires me to warn prospective teachers of the traps involved with pursuing employment in Singapore.

If you require further details PM me and I will get back to you.

Caveat Emptor.

Krakatoa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: