Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible move to Bahrain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
constantblue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Possible move to Bahrain Reply with quote

I'm after feedback on the advisability of a move from Al Ain, UAE to the University of Bahrain. At present I'm a Faculty member of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at UAEU. I got my PhD in 2000 and I've been here in the UAE for most of the time since then. For reasons I won't go into right now, I've just about had it with life here and am looking to move on. I've had a serious expression of interest from the University of Bahrain, and am giving the matter serious thought right now.

Does anyone have any views on the advisability/desirability of an Al Ain to Bahrain relocation? What sort of salary would be considered good at a late Assistant/early Associate Professor level? What is life like in Bahrain? What are the Bahrainis like? How does Bahrain compare to Al Ain if you're out in the Gulf with a family? What is the cost of living like and how does B compare to AA?

I realize that Bahrain isn't the best paid location in the Gulf, but I'm hoping it will give me an opportunity to renegotiate my salary (one of the issues I have with UAEU). I'm hoping to fly out to Bahrain in the next couple of weeks to discuss these matters, so any feedback I could get before that would be most valuable.

I'm also hoping that Bahrain is a less segmented, more humane and "organic" society, that expatriate professional expertise is still valued there, and that the society isn't so dependent on servants and servility (63% of of the population of Bahrain are Bahraini nationals, where as the "local" population of the UAE is about 20%). Any views on this?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the replies so far, you will see that not many TEFLers in Bahrain post here. Most of the TEFLers in Bahrain are people from Saudi who are propping up the bar in one of the hundreds of watering holes on this arid island.

Salaries are low and costs are high in Bahrain. Stay where you are.
nathan_lomax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Bahrain for 6 months and it's fine. I hear UAE is much more expensive. With a university salary you will live comfortably. The people are very warm and friendly and there is an almost 'village' like atmosphere. I would say it's a good place for kids. The schools may be expensive if you have to pay for them - if the university meets this expense you are laughing. I manage to feed a family of 5 on 1150 BD with 350 taken out for housing.

Anyway, good luck.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'manage' must be seen as the operative word here Nathan old boy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: