Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK EFL wages - what's about average?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnzacGal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: UK EFL wages - what's about average? Reply with quote

Hi. I am a newly CELTA qualified person and I'm looking at working in the UK. Just wanted to know what the average hourly rate would be (roughly) for a newbie teacher either in London or elsewhere in the UK. What's a decent rate?
Sheikh Inal Ovar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all accounts it goes something like this ...

.. take the government weekly figure for a breadline existence ... deduct your rent and transport expenses from this ... and then divide by 30 classroom hours ...
Golightly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is, not worth the candle, mate. As you're newly qualified, you won't get work in the Further Education sector; Private language schools typically pay �11 - �14 per hour (no prep time paid), but I have heard of teachers being paid as low as �7 per hour!
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Golightly]" I have heard of teachers being paid as low as �7 per hour![/quote]
Yes, I was one of them. 7 pounds 80 to be precise, meaning i had to work 12 hour days to make ends meet. Nice school though, and great experience but you can't live thinking twice about buying Tesco sandwiches because you might not be able to pay the rent.
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLWH - it's a bit rude to ask, but why did you accept that pay - presumably for the experience? I did a very short stint of private school work after my CELTA, and when he stated �11 an hour (outside London) I suggested I was looking for a bit more and he increased it without demur to �12.

I find teaching enjoyable but tiring, so presume those 12 hour day's weren't contact time!Smile After my blessed redundancy from IT I certainly took jobs paying �7.80 an hour but ones where I could leave work and switch off.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: pay Reply with quote

The pay is just about enough to sustain life. Certainly not enough if you have dependants.

Come on over to the Middle East 1 Lots of jobs here that pay a reasonable wage !
lolwhites

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK private sector you might earn enough to exist on, but not enough to live on. If you ever work in a private language school in Britain, you'll notice that the only teachers who don't turn up for work every day in the same clothes are those who have a partner with a well-paid job.

Either do a PGCE or emigrate.
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
TLWH - it's a bit rude to ask, but why did you accept that pay - presumably for the experience? I did a very short stint of private school work after my CELTA, and when he stated �11 an hour (outside London) I suggested I was looking for a bit more and he increased it without demur to �12.

I find teaching enjoyable but tiring, so presume those 12 hour day's weren't contact time!Smile After my blessed redundancy from IT I certainly took jobs paying �7.80 an hour but ones where I could leave work and switch off.

No, not rude at all! I did take it for the experience. I was fresh off the CELTA. The pay was the only bad thing. The school was great, the students wonderful and I met some amazing characters working there. I think by the time I left I was on 8.20 an hour. The 12 hour days were pretty much all contact time. 9-12, 12-3, 3-6 and 6-9 with a half hour break in each time slot, if you could get away from students!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: