Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

satellite TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drlubanski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: satellite TV Reply with quote

i'm thinking of getting satellite TV. what are the options in KSA? (eg, companies, channels, costs). any recommendations or warnings?
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the main choices are Orbit or FirstNet. I use Orbit, which is OK, but as with all Satellite channels, a lot of the stuff is dross and there are loads and loads of repeats. I have about 200 channels, the majority of which are in Arabic, but there's also quite a few English language movie channels, news channels, history channel and so on.

You pay about 200 rials deposit (returnable) on the decoder, and the subscription works out at about 250 rials a month. Not terribly cheap if you're living alone, but then again, we Saudi ex-pats need all the entertainment you can get.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: The MTV effect Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
Just as a related aside, would you agree that the introduction of satellite TV and the Net is causing significant social changes ( for better AND for worse ) in the Kingdom, especially among the youth? I thought I could definitetly notice many differences among those I taught back in the 80s and the post-Gulf War I generation.
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

You raise a very interesting point.

Since my KSA experience is only limited to the past few years, I have nothing to compare it to. I know that many people are saying that the net and satellinte TV have or will cause many changes but to be honest, sometimes I wonder. Often I think we overestimate the power of Western culture to change things - but maybe I'm wrong?

When you say you've seen "changes" what exactly are you referring to? Better knowledge of foreign lifestyles? Rejection of their own? I'd be very interested to hear what you think, as it is a fascinating subject.

BTW, do you think that the changes you have noticed post Gulf WAr are only down to better communications, or to the general shake up that many said happened in the Kingdom around that time?

Regards,
Cleopatra
drlubanski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John, i'm a big fan of yours and all but this hijacking of my thread is testing my patience! Could you make a new post about the sociological implications of satellite TV and allow me to persue my more prosaic concerns?
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one satellite system worth getting and that is Mnet or sometimes called multi choice.
IT comes from S Africa and it has all the international sport live, 4 movie channels and BBC prime plus a lot more.
It is expensive but you need it in Saudi.
Talk to the antennae people in your area they will organise it for you .
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Going into Orbit Reply with quote

Dear drlubanski,
Whoops - sorry for the Hi Jack. I didn't realize it'd cause a problem. My figuring is that every thread is theoretically infinite, so the more replies that are registered - even those more or less off-topic - the more likely it is that some relevant ones will also appear. Speaking of which, everyone I knew in Riyadh had Orbit ( though I didn't, not havng a TV there ). I'd never even heard of that " Mnet " that Mark100 mentioned, but seeing as I wasn't into the TV options, perhaps that's not surprising. Most of the people who had Orbit seemed fairly satisifed with it, although, as Cleopatra noted, no matter what system you get, there's sure to be mostly junk on most of the channels ( which is why I never bothered ). Once again, sorry for changing the subject - I'll PM Cleopatra with my thoughts on the other topic.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had ORBIT in Jeddah. No complaints.
drlubanski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry about the hijacking John. i'm just kidding. mock indignation.
give me another year or 2 here before i become a cantankerous prig!

i might be "inheriting" Mnet (+ all cons) from a departing colleague. i don't like the price tag (SAR200+ per month) but. . . what's a man to do?
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JOhn,

No TV?!?

And you lived in exciting Riyadh?

I'm not a huge TV fan myself but I would go mad without it in this town. I need all the diversions I can find!
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: TVless in Riyadh Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
Well, I did cheat a little - used to go downstairs to a colleague's apartment every Thursday night to watch a ( taped ) NFL game during the season or a ( taped ) movie when football wasn't on. But I never had a problem with boredom; in fact, my main difficulty was not having enough time for everything. Homework - making and grading quizzes/tests, etc. - took up a lot of my off hours and then there was reading ( I used to bring about 70 0r 80 books with me every year, plus the ones I could borrow from friends or buy in Jarir ) and that blessing, the Net. I can't recall ever feeling like, " Ho-hum, whatever am I going to do with myself today? ", but I can remember wishing there were more than 24 hours in each day.
That's another reason I didn't have a TV; I had no time to waste on it.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: