Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching on a tourist visa is that bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
upchuckles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I came over on a tourist visa and am now working. I got my residency papers without issue the day I arrived and my tourist visa has been converted to a business visa since my stay is less than 6 months

You're not very clever are you? You underwent NO RESIDENCE FORMALITY, your visa was converted to a business type visa for six months.. Thats not the same as residency or working visa.. You dont have the same rights as teachers who have a z visa.
cj750

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You underwent NO RESIDENCE FORMALITY

didnt the poster say he had his RP....what is a residence formality

if he registared at a local PSB..then he has covered his basic requirements...as to a residency permit..I know of teachers on Fs that have the RPs..

Quote:
You dont have the same rights as teachers who have a z visa

such as the rights to pay tax..what rights are you talking bout..
upchuckles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says that he was processed for RP, but then says he was given a six month F visa.. Thats not a residence permit.. Its a visa..
FuzzX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, getting an exchange worker visa is fairly simple.... it�ll supposedly run you about 35 bucks a month to renew it... My friend just came back from teaching in China and says its fairly easy but he says its a good idea to have a TESOL cert handy or a fake degree just in case..
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzX wrote:
As I understand it, getting an exchange worker visa is fairly simple.... it�ll supposedly run you about 35 bucks a month to renew it... My friend just came back from teaching in China and says its fairly easy but he says its a good idea to have a TESOL cert handy or a fake degree just in case..

How do you get an exchange visa?
A'Moo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING----- I was arreseted by a PSB official on the weekend. He told me that I was not in possession of a working visa, therefore, I was in the country illegally and would be regarded as an illegal alien. I let him know, in no uncertain terms, that I was not to be subjected to such an utterly racist remark, and let him know that, the proper term was "undocumented worker". He then proceeded to ask me what I taught, at which I proudly retorted "English"...He then snickered, punched his fellow officer in the ribs, and said "English? English is the language of the ghetto. Teach Fukienese-the language of prosperity". I've had enough of this. I am organizing a rally in Revolutionary Martyrs square this weekend, where we will have the crossed flags of Betsy Ross and The five yellow stars on red, all the time protesting the building of the fence along the South China sea, looking to keep friendly, hard-working caucasian members of society out of the country.....
englishgibson

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo are you serious Confused

Quote:
I came over on a tourist visa and am now working. I got my residency papers without issue the day I arrived and my tourist visa has been converted to a business visa since my stay is less than 6 months. I have been to the PSB a total of three times. Once to the local PSB to get the residency papers and then to the Tianjin City PSB twice to get registered for the business visa conversion.
In Nanning, Guanxi I had to provide a certificate of ownership of the appartement where I live as well as the management's office of the building aproval there. I can't imagine how many FTs might have a problem providing such a document, since landlords are quite "shy". This is apparently a new regulation for foreigners' residency permits and it's due to the government's crackdown on real estate owners and their frauds. Wink
Anyway, that permit takes a few days to get in Nanning now.
But China is a country with two systems that have multiplied to 1.3 billion systems around Laughing ...Tianjin might give it easily Wink
Quote:
I have not had any problems at all with this and have already started working and making money. Ill advised for some? Maybe. But I will probably be doing it again unless I decide to get a full time work visa for this fall.
Making money with your F visa Smile ..not advisable, but possible in this country with so many systems ...keep not only doing it but also you eyes wide open Wink

peace to one country with two systems
and
cheers and beers to all hard working FTs in those systems Very Happy

FuzzX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Working on a Tourist Visa is illegal in any country

And done in every country. Keep your head down, don't walk the streets announcing that you are employable and set yourself up with a bunch of private classes. Teaching with a tourist visa is an excellent experience in learning to sell yourself. Don't sweat it.
Mary Ann Davis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: L and Z visa, 10/07 Reply with quote

I decided to return to China to teach, but universities are hesitant to actually send the Z visa paperwork now it's already Oct. They want me to come in on an L visa, then say they'll change it.

I'm not financially fit enough to get shafted once I reach China (it's happened before) so ask your advice. Do you think it's safe to enter China, go to the university and then trust them to send me to Hong Kong to change my visa? I couldn't pay for the trip myself. One university said they'd send the Z visa stuff, then it never arrived! Thanks. Mary Ann
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
southern bluefin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Getting around the legal barriers to freelancing... Reply with quote

I'm planning to come to China next week with my fiancee who is a Chinese expat.

How does the following concept sound:

- I arrive and introduce myself to directors of local immigration companies with my fiancee's help
- I offer to provide English tuition for free, but that the immigration company may charge their clients. They may put an ad in the paper for my classes
- My Chinese mother-in-law-to-be is paid a "fee" by the immigration companies or company that has me tutor their clients. The company may take a slice of the action, but the fee could be based on X dollars per person in attendance. E.g., 15 students @ RMB40 per 45 minute session = RMB600, of which I get at least half as a gift from the mother-in-law-to-be.

It's really a gratuity for my time rather than a wage" as such - although it doesn't have to be linked at all with the teaching work.

Can anyone pick through that and find a reason I'd get caught - thanks.
Does it hold water?

Also, what resources should I bring - IELTS's prep stuff? Any suggestions?
Teatime of Soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of visa do you plan to use to stay in China?

Suppose after a year or so, you and girlfriend/wife have a baby. Chinese mother in law LOVES the baby. She will gladly spend time sitting the baby.

Then you are busted as an illegal and deported with a minimum five year no reentry. Grandma gonna be unhappy.

And of course when your "employer" decides that it's going to be a 90/10 split since you are an illegal with no rights, what will you do?

If you plan to receive wages for work in China, then you should have a proper work visa.
jeffinflorida

Location: "I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester, The Addams Family season two

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Getting around the legal barriers to freelancing... Reply with quote

southern bluefin wrote:
I'm planning to come to China next week with my fiancee who is a Chinese expat.

How does the following concept sound:

- I arrive and introduce myself to directors of local immigration companies with my fiancee's help
- I offer to provide English tuition for free, but that the immigration company may charge their clients. They may put an ad in the paper for my classes
- My Chinese mother-in-law-to-be is paid a "fee" by the immigration companies or company that has me tutor their clients. The company may take a slice of the action, but the fee could be based on X dollars per person in attendance. E.g., 15 students @ RMB40 per 45 minute session = RMB600, of which I get at least half as a gift from the mother-in-law-to-be.

It's really a gratuity for my time rather than a wage" as such - although it doesn't have to be linked at all with the teaching work.

Can anyone pick through that and find a reason I'd get caught - thanks.
Does it hold water?

Also, what resources should I bring - IELTS's prep stuff? Any suggestions?

Too complicated... Just come here on an F visa, work, and hope you don't get busted or worse get cheated...
jwbhomer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an "immigration company"?
jeffinflorida

Location: "I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester, The Addams Family season two

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwbhomer wrote:

Homer J, I think it's those people who cram 100 chinese into a shipping container and then bring it from china to the Port of Los Angeles...

Then the fun begins...
tw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwbhomer wrote:

AKA immigration representation or consulting company. They handle immigration applications on behalf of their clients.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: