Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Think I Found a Good Contract in Shanghai, Enough $$$?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eglayzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: I Think I Found a Good Contract in Shanghai, Enough $$$? Reply with quote

I think I found a contract that I like but they are unwilling to raise the monthly pay and it does not include an apartment.... Is this a good contract for the money or should I look else where?

Thanks again and I apologize for posting so many contracts. I think this will be the last one!

The remuneration for the fulltime teacher is as follows:
1) Monthly salary of RMB11,000 (before tax) for a weekly teaching load of 26 periods of
classes (15 hours of teaching), salary increases in proportion to the increase of teaching
load;
2) Reimbursement of two-way economy-class airfare between the teacher�s home country
and Shanghai for one-year-long contract;
3) Reimbursement of the teacher�s tourist visa (one-entry for coming to Shanghai), work
permit in China which allows the teacher to leave/re-enter the country multiple times, and
one medical examination in Shanghai;
4) Foreign Expert Certificate (the only official document which legally authorizes a foreigner
to be a qualified teacher in China);
5) Comprehensive Accident Insurance for the teacher under the age of 60 for the entire
contract period, which covers major expenses for hospitalization;
6) Monthly commute allowance of RMB150;
7) Paid sick leave and paid statutory holidays in China;
Cool Performance-based bonus at the end of every semester (maximum RMB3,000 for each
semester);
9) Completion bonus at the end of the contract;
10) Free airport pickup;
11) Free temporary residence (up to one week) when the teacher arrives in Shanghai for the
first time;
12) Parties, get-togethers and tourist trips in- and outside of Shanghai.

COMMENTS

Pacican does not provide accommodations in central downtown Shanghai. A furnished one-
bedroom apartment (including refrigerator, air-conditioner, washing machine, stove, table/
chairs, bed/mattress, and bathroom) costs RMB2,000 - 3,000 as a monthly rent on average
(downtown Shanghai only!). As regarding the tax rate in China, a teacher with a monthly
gross income of RMB11,000 (26 periods of classes per week) will pay RMB865 as tax, an
income of RMB14,385 (34 periods of classes per week) will incur RMB1,524 as tax.

An example of the monthly income and living costs of a typical full-time English teacher at
Pacican:
Income(+)
RMB12,692
30 periods of classes per week
Commute allowance(+)
Tax(-)
Rent(-)
one-bedroom apartment
Food/Grocery(-)
Utilities(-)
350 water, gas, electricity
High-speed internet(-)
Cellular phone(-)

Miscellaneous(-)
Savings at the month-end
RMB5,039
@US$1.00=RMB6.82
US$738.86

The average monthly income per capita in Shanghai is RMB3,292 (US$484) in 2008 as per the
State Statistics Bureau of China. The Chinese currency RMB is still appreciating at this time.
In other words, the teacher will save more while maintaining the same living standard.

Some illustrations of purchasing power of RMB in China:
A standard lunch-box with vegetables, meat and rice: RMB5.00 � 8.00
equivalent of US$0.73 � 1.17
A can of Tsing-Tao beer:
RMB4.00 � 4.50
equivalent of US$0.58 � 0.66
A pack of Marlboro cigarettes (20 pieces):
RMB7.00 � 15.00
equivalent of US$1.03 � 2.20
(No sales tax applies in China)
rottenflesh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) How do the 26 periods translate into 15 hours? Are there any office hours expected?
2) Does the school help in arranging accommodation? 2-3k for a foreigner isn't easy, unless you live far away from the city center.
3) Are you teaching at one school or multiple schools?
4) So you are expected to come on a tourist visa and they'll convert it to a FEC? Why can't they issue you the legal Z-visa?
eglayzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the answers I received over the phone.

1) Each class is only 35-40 minutes long.

2) The school provides a support person who is available to help with anything I need throughout the year. Find an apartment, setting up bank account, hand phone, ect..

3) I will be teaching at two schools. Some teachers teach at two schools each day while others teach at one school half the week and then alternate.

4) I don't understand the Visa issue either but they assured me it was legal. Although, it was slightly complicated so I can't remember exactly what the reasoning was.

Does this sound like a raw deal? They were very polite over the phone and sounded nice.
rottenflesh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) One hour class usually last 45-50minutes anyway - so make sure that those 26 periods aren't actually around 45minutes each. Get your exact teaching hours and duration on the contract, because it's still a little vague. I've seen contracts which state 20 periods - but then refer to teaching hours as only 15 (even though, it should actually count 20 hours EVEN if your classes are 45 minutes each).

2) I would probably ask for pictures of apartments within those price ranges or if you could talk to any current foreign teachers working with them (so you can ask them about the apartment situation directly). I still doubt you can get a decent place in a decent location in Shanghai for under 3k.

3) How far are those schools apart? Do you know what your schedule is like (e.g. are you teaching half/half week or one full week and then alternate?). 150 rmb is decent enough.

4) Maybe press on this issue? Is it because you're not in your home country or something? Do they need someone over asap, so they don't want to deal with the processing time? Is their some other foreigner you can talk to who is currently working there? Are there any online reviews of the school which suggest they have been able to convert tourist visas to FEC?

To be honest, it's not a bad offer, but it isn't great either. I'm still wary of the 26 "periods", coming on a tourist visa, and getting your own apartment. Salary, performance bonuses, monthly commute allowance, etc is all good. Apartments are not cheap in Shanghai and I strongly suggest you do some prior research (on these forums, google search, shanghaiexpat, craigslist) to look at prices for a decent apartment. Plus, from your past posts it seems you have 2 years of work experience - which makes you eligible for better jobs (similar salary with apartment included) and getting your visa easily. For someone trying to get started in the ESL world, this is an "alright" offer.

On the other hand, you can ask if they can offer you this opportunity for 6 months instead of a year - and you can test it out? Are you applying anywhere else with any success?

Cheers,
RF
Lobster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacican is one of the largest employers of FTs in Shanghai. As long as your qualifications are as indicated on your CV, they can and will be able to convert your visa. This outfit pays in full and on time. Only 3 notes of caution.

They are contract sticklers, so make sure you agree to what you sign.

Your chances of finding decent single accommodations in central Shanghai for 2k/month are slim to nil. I'd say 2.5 - 3.5. You may choose to go with shared accommodations to cut costs if you can find a compatible roomie.

Because you'll be teaching at 2 schools, be prepared to do some serious commuting and running around every day. Your best bet is to either find a place close to the school you'll teach at most, or pick a place equidistant from both.

Because you'll be a first-time teacher in a large organization, you won't merit much consideration. If you choose to hang around after the first year, things will improve.

BTW, you will probably teach every Saturday, so don't be surprised.

All in all, a secure gig for the first timer.

RED
mgafunnell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there for four years and I have no plans on leaving anytime soon. Go for it.
eglayzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Seems like a solid school with reasonable wages. I am currently located in Seoul, Korea. Maybe thats why I can't get the Z visa right away? I am going to go ahead and move forward with this application and see where it leads.

Thanks for all the help, I will try and update this thread as the application process unfolds.
rottenflesh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun bro, I love Shanghai!!
AussieAtLarge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Those wages are really low for Shanghai Reply with quote

11,000 RMB before taxes in Shanghai? I would pass. I worked in Shanghai in 2008 and was making 22,000 RMB before taxes plus housing and Z visa being fully paid for. If you live in Shanghai you have got to earn enough money to function and have a life and save for a rainy day too. It is expensive in Shanghai. Watch out for the "bonus" scam since they will find 101 reasons for not paying it to you in whole or in part. That happens to many FT's in China. Take a higher straight salary and forget the bonus since you won't see it anyway 9 times out of 10. I just signed with a company in Shanghai for August of this year and the contract wage is 30,000 RMB per month before taxes, plus housing, paid Z visa, and other perks. Depending on your qualifications in China and the city that you are in, wages change drastically. In my case I will have a 40-hour work week Monday-Friday 9-5 PM. You can do much better in Shanghai than 11,000 RMB if you are a licensed teacher, experienced, and have at least a BA.
Zero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Those wages are really low for Shanghai Reply with quote

AussieAtLarge wrote:
11,000 RMB before taxes in Shanghai? I would pass. I worked in Shanghai in 2008 and was making 22,000 RMB before taxes plus housing and Z visa being fully paid for. If you live in Shanghai you have got to earn enough money to function and have a life and save for a rainy day too. It is expensive in Shanghai. Watch out for the "bonus" scam since they will find 101 reasons for not paying it to you in whole or in part. That happens to many FT's in China. Take a higher straight salary and forget the bonus since you won't see it anyway 9 times out of 10. I just signed with a company in Shanghai for August of this year and the contract wage is 30,000 RMB per month before taxes, plus housing, paid Z visa, and other perks. Depending on your qualifications in China and the city that you are in, wages change drastically. In my case I will have a 40-hour work week Monday-Friday 9-5 PM. You can do much better in Shanghai than 11,000 RMB if you are a licensed teacher, experienced, and have at least a BA.

Is this teaching English, or some other type of work?
MADAMELEACH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: shanghai dumps Reply with quote

I agree, about 20,000 rmb is about right. It can be done. Just look around adn negotiate a bit harder. ANd, correct, RMB 2k WILL GIVE YOU A DUMP IN SHANGHAI.
Zero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Those wages are really low for Shanghai Reply with quote

AussieAtLarge wrote:

Curious what type of work you do in Shanghai? You mentioned high wages, with housing provided. Are you in an international school? I have been looking for opportunities in that pay range for a while, because I would like to take my family back to China and live for an indefinite period. I am in journalism, primarily, and the best I have located is an editing position for 25,000/month before taxes, no housing provided. Not bad for a single person, but tough with a family. I am not a certified teacher, so that makes it tough to earn that high if I go the teaching route. Wonder if you have ideas as to a good niche to pursue, either in teaching or other fields.
AussieAtLarge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: High Wages Reply with quote

Hi, I am certified and I will be in an education sector related position, but not in an international school. In Shanghai, depending on where one lives, a nice apartment will run 4000 RMB per month on up. International schools pay more if you are certified. Some pay up to about 550,000 Yuan per year before taxes and provide visas, airfare, housing etc. If you are in China make sure you get paid well because the Chinese sure are. Stop funding someone else s BMW payments and work on getting your own. China milks foreigners for their talent under the guise of being a supposed developing nation. If you want low wages and a bad situation, stay home and try Wal-Mart or Burger King. I came to China to earn money not to absorb the dwindling old world culture. A friend of mine is pulling in over 1,000,000 Yuan per year before taxes as a comptroller in Shanghai. If you are not getting a good wage you are in the wrong business or the wrong country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: