Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good idea to AVOID Hui Hua college in Shijiazhuang...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlD26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Good idea to AVOID Hui Hua college in Shijiazhuang... Reply with quote

A few basic details: This is a franchise school in Hebei province. They charge students 10,000 RMB a year and Hui Hua pays a fee each year (half of the total money they receive from the 10,000 students) to Hebei Normal University, so they can attach the HNU name to the Hui Hua name. Other than a few part time HNU teachers working at Hui Hua for extra cash, there is no other association between the schools. Hui Hua is literally right outside of Shijiazhuang, maybe by less than 500 meters, in a very under developed region of the province/"city". This is a school where students who really messed up on the guo kuo and other entrance exams go to study. However, I feel the students were the strong point of this place. They seemed like people who were making the most of their opportunity, at the very least. Though I am honestly not sure the degree they will get is worth the paper it was printed on.

I had many problems at this school, but I will tell the story of my last week or two, and let that one story speak for itself, as I feel the actions (or lack of actions) are an abomination. The school is currently struggling to find teachers and my story seems to be one reason why.

I had to end my last semester at this school prematurely because I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's (cancer). I am sad to say I received NO support from the school administration during the end of my stay when I was diagnosed with cancer. My interaction with any of the "leaders" were limited to a few brief and indirect conversations (my Chinese gf helped with translation) and they were merely a few of the lower level "leaders." There was NO interaction with the president or vice president:

1. Upon hearing that I was diagnosed with cancer, this is what "Cooper" (boss of the foreign liaison (FAO)) said, and keep in mind this was his FIRST reaction: "We won't pay your October salary because of breach of contract." First of all: 1. Is this man human? He never said "sorry about the bad news" or "hope you get better." No, the first and only thing he mentioned was breach of contract, no comforting words, at all. Now I am pretty sure that even in China, illness, especially a serious one like cancer, is NOT considered a breach of contract. My gf argued this point, as expected.

2. So he asked to see the medical form. However, he did not understand the medical form we gave him, even though it stated, in clear and plain Chinese, that what I had was Hodgkin's. Though it did not say cancer, Hodgkin's is obviously cancer, any adult knows that. Rather than admit his glaring and obvious ignorance, he said that without any proof from me (a stamped note from the doctor), it would justify a breach of contract, and thus a garnishment of my last months salary. Just because he doesn't get what Hodgkins is. My gf and I told him we would call the hospital and he could have a talk with the doctor who wrote the form about the form and what it meant. Rather than lose face (and further make himself look like a jerk) in the foreign affairs office, he instead suggested we go out of our way, to the other side of the city. Because of his ignorance, we needed a doctors note and stamp from the hospital, as if cancer is something someone would lie about. Come on man. Plus, one of the symptoms of cancer is frequent fatigue, so he also showed a complete lack of understanding for my situation and illness. Even with all the money, effort and amazing research towards cancer, it is still a serious thing even today, 2011.

3. Also, this man expressed annoyance in the fact that I did not warn him sooner, because "many students would be without an oral English teacher." His words! "

SORRY MY CANCER GOT IN THE WAY OF YOUR SCHOOLS OPERATION!" is all I could think and what I would have said in Chinese, had it been better. Once I was diagnosed with cancer, everything moved quickly and I purchased a ticket to go back home just one week in advance (from the diagnosis in Beijing). I notified the school the next day, six days notice. How much advanced notice did he expect? It is cancer. I struggled to even tell my mom for crying out loud! Realistically, I told him as soon as I could, but it sounds like he is not very realistic. The only thing he seemed to care about were a few Freshmen Non English major classes that would not have oral English for one semester. Never did he express any worry, sympathy or empathy for my situation, or attempt to even fake any of these feelings. This has nothing to do with culture differences and everything to do with simply being human. He failed terribly in that respect.

They also refused to pay my plane ticket home. Normally I would expect this if I was simply quitting, but my situation is unique and the school could have (and probably should have) responded in a more positive way regarding my trip home, especially since I had already completed one full year contract and gotten a high approval rating from the students, for what that is worth (likely not much to the school). I offered my best effort for a long time at this school, and met with a very unfortunate situation, and think they could have handled this better. I decided to let this issue rest quickly however, and decided to just get the heck out.

What can I say about the higher ups, like the president and vice president of Hui Hua? THEY WERE NON EXISTENT! I never even saw them during my last week at Hui Hua, or, for that matter, ever during my stay. They never came forward and offered their support or comfort, or wished me well in my final week. Overall, in my opinion, they failed as leaders. Not even a letter or email, just totally invisible! So don't expect gratitude, even in extreme cases, is the point I want to make here. Sometimes a little "pick me up" was the best thing about work back home in America, and every boss I had back home would sometimes compliment me on a job well done. Everyone likes the occasional compliment, right?

I also find it funny that I never had a chance to talk to any of the Chinese English teachers. This is common at many schools in China, I know. But there is something seriously wrong with that picture if there is no dialogue between Chinese English teachers and the visiting native English speakers.

Anyway, if the leaders do not care about one of their employees being diagnosed with cancer, what exactly do they care about, other than themselves? Again, this has NOTHING to do with culture difference and everything to do with being human and showing empathy - Reaching out to those who worked for you. How could the leaders not make an appearance?

I feel I must mention one unrelated thing as well, as it caused me a lot of stress and certainly did not help me as far as health is concerned: The school also failed miserably in hiring a foreign liaison in the foreign affairs office. Her name was Catherine. Unless pushed by someone else on this site to go into more detail, I won't get into too much detail, as I don't need to revisit those stressful times with my current health the way it is. Stress should be avoided. But she was one of the most impatient, rude, irresponsible, unprofessional, lazy, petty, childish, incompetent "adults" I have ever had the mis-pleasure of dealing with anywhere in the world. She failed in fulfilling numerous duties, including giving me important paper work. She yelled at me simply for "asking too many questions" about my contract or other things related to the school and yelled at me for doing things that other foreigners did freely. For example, I was yelled at because of the way I dressed. But other foreign teachers admitted I dressed fine, and even better than them. But she never said anything to them. Sadly, now she is in charge of Junior English major students, she is their tutor. I feel bad for the students and many have expressed displeasure in having to deal with her already. Many students confide in me and they dislike and even hate her. She is the future of Hui Hua? If so, scary!

Moving on ... despite working at the FAO, key word in that acronym being FOREIGN, she showed no interest in bridging the cultural gap and expected me to do all the changing (She told my gf "I (as in CD26) need to change"). Last I checked, when people of two cultural background are interacting, usually it is a 50/50 MUTUAL effort, both people attempt to change, it is an equal exchange. Never did she mention anything about making changes for herself.

This FL was the second abomination at Hui Hua and I don't feel I need to mention any of the other problems I experienced at this school, as these two problems can speak for themselves. If she was human, upon hearing of my situation (as she likely will) she would send an email to sincerely apologize for how poorly she treated me, but I believe that is expecting to much out of her, as I don't think she is a self aware person. In fairness, I must say the first FL I dealt with, Lavender, was good, in my opinion, and did not try to pick fights or start issues like Cat. In fact she was not a FL for long and was promoted very quickly. Now that Catherine is a tutor, Bian is doing her job (much better) and is far superior because she is more responsible, despite the fact that her English is at a lower level.

In closing, how can we take a school seriously if they can't even hire a FL who is capable of communicating with foreigners in a mature way? More importantly, if the leaders do not care about you, even if you are very sick or hurt, why would they care about you under normal circumstances? DON'T GO, unless you like apathetic leaders and uncaring, emotionally stunted staff.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is all about money.

Sorry to hear this, but I am not surprised.

I would let talk shows back at home know this. Let as many people back at home know this when you get home. People need to know what China is about before they jump in.

I wish you well.
xi.gua

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks man. Sorry to hear about this. I'm not really surprised either. My school treats me well and i'm happy here, but I know that my President and Vice president are completely worthless. Schools in China are a business and the head honchos never care about anything except the "business" aspect of school.

Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and just get home to be with your family and try to get yourself the proper care and treatment. Hope everything turns out ok.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awful but tallies with two other instances I know about. One in PRC and another in Taiwan.
As other posters have said get home and into some decent care.
Best
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the school president talk to you? Also, I've never heard of Hodgkins. I don't know why you would expect some Chinese guy to know what it is, either.
CarlD26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to those who offered their condolences and advice.

You can't be serious, you don't know what HODGKIN'S LYMPHOMA is? Are you a native English speaker? It is very common in the west. The point is, it is a form of cancer. You are the first western person I have met who did not know what it was.

By the way, it is not like the form was in English and said "Hodgkins." In case you did not know, the form was in Chinese, obviously. My gf knew exactly what it was. I had no clue someone did not know what Hodgkins is. It is like saying you don't know what a colonoscopy is or something.

Why would the president speak to me? Gee, I don't know, maybe because I worked at his school for nearly two years, did a good job (according to the large majority of my students) and came into a very tough situation. Isn't it nice to KNOW YOUR EMPLOYEES?? Especially when something shitty happens.. Usually that is what LEADERS do. I don't understand why you would even ask such a question. Please offer some useful advice or analysis, okay?

Hodgkins = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodgkin's_lymphoma
CarlD26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL, yes, to test for colon cancer and other unexplained changes and problems (like a hemorrhage). Many men dread it, if not all (I would think), but it is a good thing, to make sure things are okay and avoid future problems.
flyingscotsman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the op - you assume with 1.3 billion people that the Chinese care about another fellow human being - especially a foreigner? Why should they pay your plane ticket home? Out of compassion? You are talking about a business that is about making money, not The Red Cross. ( side note the Red Cross is also about making money but they do occasionally help people.) They look at what you can do for them, that's it. And now you are sick, so your value has become a liability to them, therefore they have no interest in you or your well being.

That would be the same even if you worked at that school for 5 years - you are not a vested investment to them, just a worker with a specific skill and a worker that can be replaced easily.

Why would you expect help from another foreigner? Most DOS types have their own agenda - make as much money as they can while doing as little work as they can - at anyone's expense. So now if you leave he or she may have to take your classes until they find a replacement - and maybe they will save the salary and just have the other teachers do more work.

So you are sick, it happens, why should your school care, seriously, why? You are in a country where the people just stand around and gawk at an injured person and no one will help or dial 911, so why should they care about you?
flyingscotsman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS for you to slam your school in a post when they have really done little wrong is misleading.

You should have the pay issue fixed indeed but I think your thread title is way off.
CarlD26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you are sick, it happens

Wait wait wait, flyingscotmen, "so I am sick?" THAT is your attitude? Yah, cancer, lad de da.. just like a cold right? No big deal?? I am amazed at how ignorant people actually are about the illness now that I have it. Cancer is more than being sick, and trust me, you do not want to exp. it, nor would I wish it even on my worst enemy. I DO NOT appreciate your tone one single bit. Why the heck do you think so much money is STILL being donated to fighting cancer! IT IS SERIOUS! One of the leading killers world wide!! Yah, cancer, "it happens." You sir, make me sick. Disgusting. Absolutely abhorrent! It doesn't merely "happen" rather IT TURNS YOUR LIFE UPSIDE DOWN and people who have beaten this beast are often, some of the strongest, bravest people I know!

They should have paid my plane ticket home because it was IN THE CONTRACT, but as I stated towards the end, I am over that, and just got out of the situation asap, so CURRENTLY, I expect nothing. Please don't assume that I do.

I fail to understand the connection between size of a country and compassion of its people. Poor logic, and unfair to the many amazing people within the country who have done more for me than anyone I know in my own country while expecting little in return. To say that Chinese people don't care about others is really ignorant. What a bleak out look you have on life. My gf was probably even more emotional than I was about the diagnosis and has been with me every step of the way, moreso than anyone else I know, including in the west. And that is just one example of many. One of my best friends in the city cried when he found out about the diagnosis. Please don't making sweeping generalizations about an entire country or what I should expect out of them. Especially if they are totally incorrect. We, as people, should expect nothing of the best if we are honest in our ways, ideally. And if not, we have every right to complain and warn others. This post was made to warn others, simple as that. At this point, I don't expect anything and don't think I wrote in a way that would make anyone reading think that I expected anything.

In response to your second post:

I have cancer flyingscotsmen, I have every damn right to slam the school for how they treated me (or failed to act) and every person who actually saw the exp. first hand (my colleagues) agreed with me. It is soooooo easy to sit on the sidelines and say I have no right to complain. HOW DARE YOU! To have the gall to say that. I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO SLAM THE SCHOOL because apathy and greed is NOT OKAY. So, your logic is "Meh, whatever man, you are sick, that is how Chinese people are, just deal with it." What a poor example to set. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, especially when sick.

There are just so many things wrong with your post...just wow, not sure if there is an "ignore" function on these forums. I just have no interest in dealing with such negativity or such a bleak outlook on people and life.
CarlD26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terribly sorry, seemed to have double posted.

PS: I am not interested in any negativity.
clownshow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, when you post, you invite response by implication. Not everyone views tragic occurrences in a personal light as some will receive the information with an administrative acceptance. While tact might have been lacking, as a temp worker, the obligation of the employing agency is limited in scope and responsibility. I believe you alluded to additional problems with the school and perhaps this tainted the reaction you experienced.
CarlD26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mature response even though I disagree, at least it was worded better.

I find it funny that he seems to have missed this little portion in my OP:

Quote:
I had many problems at this school, but I will tell the story of my last week or two, and let that one story speak for itself, as I feel the actions (or lack of actions) are an abomination.

Meaning I have even more to complain about, but don't feel like writing a book and have chosen in my opinion what is the most egregious transgression to highlight the schools overall problem. Yes, I could have taken dozens of other smaller problems, but figured, for the sake of the reader, just one, which happens to be the most severe and largest problem, would suffice. I have every right to make this post and am still insulted that someone would even think otherwise.

But overall, if scotman honestly thinks that is a normal reaction, on the schools part, maybe he is the one who lacks compassion and should self reflect instead of accusing an entire nation of people of lacking it. Because, no, their reaction is not normal and thus this post is 100% justified. No condolences...Not one.

Edit: By the way, what do you consider to be a temporary (I assume that is what you mean by temp) worker? Because nearly 2 years must be more than that, right?

Last edited by CarlD26 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Normal' for China? or
'Normal' for just about anywhere else?
CarlD26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, honestly, fundamentally, I really do think people aren't that different in the end. Just overall, anywhere, really.

Some of the most emotional outbursts I have seen, of sorrow, anger, sadness etc. have been by Chinese, actually. My gf is a very caring, emotional girl, as I have stated, as well as a few of my very good friends. I had an outpouring of very heartfelt emails and QQ messages from many of my students when they learned of my illness. Did they need to send all these messages? NO, of course not, I was already gone. But they did. And continue to check up on me.

However, I understand that business regardless of country tends to attract cold hearted people and there are just as many..well...sociopaths in positions of power, both in business, politics, military, etc in America as there are in China. But to single out China is totally unfair.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: