Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$1000, enough to start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadicalRyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: $1000, enough to start? Reply with quote

I have a Cambodian wife 6 months pregnant, and I'm American. She lives in Phnom Penh. Unfortunately, I'm in Korea teaching English to support her and save money. I'm finding work and life in Korea to be almost unbearable. I would go back to Cambodia in a heartbeat if only I knew the amount of money I was bringing were safe to start.

Would it be reasonable to arrive in Cambodia the second week of April, with between between $1000 and $1400? With each extra month I work in Korea, I can add about $800 to that amount, but I would rather not stay a single day longer than I have to. When is it safe to go?

Her monthly expenses are about $310, not including food. Having the baby in July will cost about $200-$300. I have a B.S. degree, TEFL certificate, and about 2 years of ESL experience. Should I just go?
saint57

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just one question. How the heck can you be married to a Cambodian woman and not know the answer to this?
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint57 wrote:
I have just one question. How the heck can you be married to a Cambodian woman and not know the answer to this?

I agree.

Still you have a couple more months before the baby is born, make as much as possible now, you won't in Cambodia. You should be able to save far more than $800/month in Korea, work your butt off. Taking care of a baby is a lot more work than teaching in Korea or anywhere for that matter (I have 3 young ones myself).
mlomker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: $1000, enough to start? Reply with quote

Considering the earnings difference, you'd be nuts to not stay for a bit. You'll undoubtedly want to be home for the birth, but until then make some money.

Gordon, he said he was supporting her and saving money. If he were just saving then he would be able to save a lot more, I'd imagine.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: $1000, enough to start? Reply with quote

RadicalRyan wrote:
I have a ...

Rolling Eyes
joesped

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: south korea?? Reply with quote

if you dont mind, please tell me why you dont like working in south korea, and what city?
I am talking to people there now, and wonder about it???

thank you, Joe
Keithbrooks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: $1000, enough to start? Reply with quote

RadicalRyan wrote:

Would it be reasonable to arrive in Cambodia the second week of April, with between between $1000 and $1400? With each extra month I work in Korea, I can add about $800 to that amount, but I would rather not stay a single day longer than I have to. When is it safe to go?

I wouldn't come here with less than 5,000 US. You can live ok for 1,500 when you get here, but it depends on your spending habits. Remember you have to take care of a family and that means they want you to spend money on them.

Save as much as you can and go here, get a job BEFORE you spend any money you don't need to.

Calculate 10-11 weeks after December 6 for the new school year. Come a few days before the school year and you will get a job guaranteed.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: