Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle schools in Oz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aphid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Middle schools in Oz? Reply with quote

Are there such things as middle school in Oz (ages 9-13 ish)? I am a UK teachers and I would like to explore opportunities to teach ICT in an Ozzie school if there is such a thing. Any pointers would be appreciated.

It also seems that there are difficulties recruiting teachers particularly for remote areas...? Is this true? If so, is it a geographical thing or are students more difficult to teach....?

Aphid
eslstudies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Middle School concept exists, though students are generally split into Primary [5-13] and High [14-18]. "Middle School" here means Year Levels 6-9.
Yes, ICT is in demand, and vacancies are more common in rural areas. Smaller communities tend to have R-12 schools as well.
Contact the personnel departments of the various state and territory education departments. They all have websites with vacancies advertised online. Usually its contract work, though hard to fill positions may be permanent, or at least tenured. You'd need to get teacher registration, which I think is automatic for UK teachers.
aphid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to discover that primary schools actually go up to the age of 13 - Primary [5- 13] - unless I am misunderstanding what 5-13 means. At least now I know that this area is something open to me to pursue further.

Are particular parts of Australia likely to be more fruitful, do you think?

Are you UK or Oz...?
eslstudies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Oz. Kids start at 5 usually, then spend 8 years in primary then 5 in secondary.
Regional and remote areas have more trouble attracting teachers. "Tough" urban areas have a high burnout rate!
aphid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your reply. Being an OZ at least means you are speaking from experience. ; - )

"Regional and remote areas have more trouble attracting teachers."

Why is that...? I can understand the situation in urban schools but I would appreciate clarifiaction about regional and remote areas. Is it that teachers just don't like being away from city life...?

Aphid
eslstudies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it! Remote communities can be physically harsh: heat, drought, lack of facilities. Usually, young teachers are sent to these locations with a guarantee of a return to the city after 3-4 years.
However, as one who spent 10 years in country locations, they have a lot going for them. Community spirit, lots of sporting and social life, some towns have good facilities, schools tend to have young, energetic staff............
In fact, if you're reasonably young and adventurous, I'd recommend the life.
State systems tend to advertise on their own websites, for eg:

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/recruit/pages/teachinSA/

which is my own state. In fact, following the links you'll find that larger regional centres employ-and always need-permanent relieving [supply] teachers. This would be a good entry level position. Once your foot is in the door, finding a job of choice is much easier. Private and Catholic schools generally advertise through the press, much of which can be found online at:

www.careerone.com.au

Bear in mind that the school year is only 2 months old, so there won't be a lot of vacancies around yet.
Fire away with any more questions please!
aphid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Living and working in a more remote location wouldn't, in principle, bother me at all although I would not be looking for a supply post of any sort...even to get my foot in the door. Over here in the UK supply teachers are poorly treated by students and I guess its the same in Oz.

I have over 20 years of teaching experience, different schools and different responsibilities, and I am currently an ICT adviser for the local authority - sort of teaching teachers. Would my age - nearly 48 - be a barrier...?
eslstudies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aphid wrote:

"Regional and remote areas have more trouble attracting teachers."

Why is that...?

Have you ever looked at a map of Australia? Smile
smuvkat25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: good post Reply with quote

eslstudies wrote:
You've got it! Remote communities can be physically harsh: heat, drought, lack of facilities. Usually, young teachers are sent to these locations with a guarantee of a return to the city after 3-4 years.
However, as one who spent 10 years in country locations, they have a lot going for them. Community spirit, lots of sporting and social life, some towns have good facilities, schools tend to have young, energetic staff............
In fact, if you're reasonably young and adventurous, I'd recommend the life.
State systems tend to advertise on their own websites, for eg:

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/recruit/pages/teachinSA/

which is my own state. In fact, following the links you'll find that larger regional centres employ-and always need-permanent relieving [supply] teachers. This would be a good entry level position. Once your foot is in the door, finding a job of choice is much easier. Private and Catholic schools generally advertise through the press, much of which can be found online at:

www.careerone.com.au

Bear in mind that the school year is only 2 months old, so there won't be a lot of vacancies around yet.
Fire away with any more questions please!

ESL Studies,

Good post. I would be more than willing to hang out in the bush for a number of years to get my feet wet. I am still waiting to hear from the powers-to-be that can tell me what my credentials are like (and tell me about my M.Ed. in TESOL). I'll keep you informed.

So, how was your overall experience when you taught in a rural area? Can you give me any details? That sounds so exciting. You said that young kids are usually sent out there because they are built for that kinda lifestyle (not married and lots of energy). Me? I'm a young 33 year old. Single, in great physical condition and positive mindset. I think that I would fit the bill. We shall see.

Any how, I'll be in touch. Thanks again for all of your help.

Nick Pacione
Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A.
Def

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslstudies wrote:
The Middle School concept exists, though students are generally split into Primary [5-13] and High [14-18]. "Middle School" here means Year Levels 6-9.

I'm Oz. Kids start at 5 usually, then spend 8 years in primary then 5 in secondary.

That all actually depends where in Aust you're talking about. In W.A., Primary School goes up to grade 7, then you have High School, which is broken into two parts: Lower School which is 8 - 10, and Senior School which is 11 & 12.

In Vic, Primary School is from prep to grade 6 (so 7 years), and High School is from year 7 to 12 (6 years, not 5). Years 7 and 8 are junior secondary, 9 and 10 are middle school, and 11 and 12 are senior school.

But really, as eslstudies said, the 'middle school' thing is just a concept, and more of a way for schools to divide students into groups for in-school things, than anything else. You're either qualified to teach Primary School, or High School. Or both, I guess.
eslstudies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def, I think if you Google "Middle Schooling", you'll get an idea of this international concept, which roughly encompasses 10-15 year olds.
I'd assumed this was what the OP had in mind, but I've been wrong before.

And Smuvkat, it might be worth contacting the Northern Territory Education Dept [again, Google].
They advertise and recruit aggressively here in Oz, and many of their positions involve isolated indigenous communities. They may be more receptive to your CV than the southern states too.
smuvkat25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Thanks guys/gals Reply with quote

Def & eslstudies,

you guys have been great! thanks for all of your advice. i'll definitely check into the northern territory of OZ to see about teaching positions. I'd much prefer teaching than having to go and get a doctorate degree to further my chances.

Again, I cannot thank you enough. You have been great.

Respectfully,

Nick
Def

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslstudies wrote:
Def, I think if you Google "Middle Schooling", you'll get an idea of this international concept, which roughly encompasses 10-15 year olds.
I'd assumed this was what the OP had in mind, but I've been wrong before.

Ah, yeah, possibly. I was really just clarifying the age groups vary from state to state, and we don't have 'middle school teachers' here, per se. It's either Primary or High School.

Didn't want people to think all of Australia has a middle school range of years 6-9, or even 9 - 10, or whatever. If you rocked up in Vic thinking you'd teach grade 6 as a 'middle school teacher', you'd be wrong.

I think the important thing for people to realise when asking about Aust, is although the education system is basically the same nation-wide, it is run on a state-by-state basis... so you will get differences from one part of Aust to another.

But y'know, that's just how I interpreted it. All good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: