Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QU questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Things never change without a revolution???? Reply with quote

Things are improving huh???? Thanks to people like us who let the chicken out the bag, otherwise QU would be a deep well/cemetery for teachers.

As far as I am concerned, things improved slightly, that's all! The working environment is still hostile and relationships between teachers are really turbulent.

Go & see! Interview teachers and decide!

Good luck!

Last edited by letitslidedude on Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thursday. Housing is something I need to put at top of list with 2 boys in tow!
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how long it takes to drive in from Waab to campus?
Thanks
WhoToldYou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by improvement? Are you saying that the management in changing? As I have read, all the problems are coming from your managers... I think the lady has been VERY LUCKEY to get interviewed by QU, some HIGHLY QUALIFIED teachers were rejected, why? They worked in UGRU. I still don't know what is going on between good teachers at UGRU and the QU. some difficult teachers from UGRU were hired at QU, but good ones are turned away. Still,,,,,,,,,, it is a big question for me, WHY? Question
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhoToldYou wrote:
What do you mean by improvement? Are you saying that the management in changing? As I have read, all the problems are coming from your managers... I think the lady has been VERY LUCKEY to get interviewed by QU, some HIGHLY QUALIFIED teachers were rejected, why? They worked in UGRU. I still don't know what is going on between good teachers at UGRU and the QU. some difficult teachers from UGRU were hired at QU, but good ones are turned away. Still,,,,,,,,,, it is a big question for me, WHY? Question

It is clear WhoToldYou! Someone who is in the management (QU) and worked for UGRU had hard time and let go! Now, he wants to revenge. Unfortunately, he/she shouldn't be doing this kind of hiring malpractice. By the way, he was at TESOL Arabia and one member of the interview team.

Too bad! As far as I am concerned, teachers at UGRU are highly qualified and deserve more.
thursday12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Celtababe

How ya doin? To answer your Q - on a good day takes about 20 mins to campus - bad day 60 mins or more from Al Waab. Like I said, Gharffa's got better villas & closer to campus but Al Waab is near the high schools - kids could almost walk there if they had to!!!! But ask for a villa - the apartments are really smelly - I mean smelly like food smelly and pipe smelly. The villas in Al Waab are more or less OK.

Checked around - no problem so sponsor hubbie - heard there are coupla ladies doin just that - so don't worry - get hitched and bring your man along. Listen lady, do what you think is best for you & kids - the place is not too bad - I mean a 3 day work week - what more could a single mom ask for? Some weird stuff goin on and some weird people - like I said, keep your nose clean. Keep away from the weirdos and the upstarts. Lot of people doin self-promotin.

Good vacations too. Long summer vac. If I was a single mom (no chance of that, lady) I'd go for it. Moolah is good and I hear they pay most of your school fees. Why don't you contact them? I mean they gotta answers your questions. Doha is really small but lots of action for kids - malls, clubs, Garveys (sorry not for kids...)

So listen lady -check it out. I bin gripin a lot but things were bad bad bad but now they're on the up & up so I feel up. Ya know what I mean?

Check it out, Celtababe.
celtababe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thursday for taking the time to pass on this info. Much appreciated. Good to hear that some of the kinks are being smoothed out. Hope it gets even better! And more to the point, I hope QU contacts me soon on a positive note..............
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hit the nail! Reply with quote

letitslidedude wrote:
3) Kids: 10 & 15! Qatar is NOT A GOOD place for your kids. Qatar is Doha and Doha is Qatar!

Beg to differ. Doha is fine for kids, and much nicer for families than for singles.
toughcookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

Hi Celtababe,

I agree with Thursday 12 that things have improved at QU. Of course, the beginning was so bad that it could only go up!

All in all, atmosphere at work is good and admin is not overwhelming.
It seems that most problems associated with Doha are no longer related to the university.

Here are some pros and cons for you:
- pros: good money; reduced work week (16 hrs); good work environment.
- cons: housing sucks in Al Waab (Compound management's idea of public lighting is blinding Iron Curtain style flood lights); the commute to the univ is really long and dangerous; traffic in Doha really sucks.

About getting a villa. In Al Waab, you can only have a villa if you have 4 or more children. There are villas in the Garrafa district, but I am not sure if you would get a choice of housing. Wasta abunds...

The university definitely sponsors husbands/spouses. If he is not your husband at the time that he comes, then don't mention that and have him come on a tourist visa (American, Canadian, EU passport holders get 1 month at the airport upon arrival against QR100.)

I hope this helps,
TC
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: QU questions Reply with quote

toughcookie wrote:
...the commute to the univ is really long and dangerous; traffic in Doha really sucks.

Yes, the traffic in Doha is the most hazardous I've ever seen. You do get used to it, and more skilled, as time goes on; but you never know when somebody is going to nail you. And the cops are virtually worthless.
celtababe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pointers guys....thanks a lot!
Haven't got time to whip out a set of twins Sad
I drove in the UAE for 3 years so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect on the road thank goodness. I actually had trouble adapting to driving on the left in the UK as I had never driven here before! As for roundabouts........I think I still approach them from a Sharjah perspective........CHARGE!!!! Twisted Evil
toughcookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

I'm glad you have R/A "experience". I too once drove in the UAE and thought they were crazy drivers, but here they are completely demented! It was a shock.
TC
celtababe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're telling me they are WORSE????
toughcookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

Unfortunately YES! And I believe that BD will back me on this...
TC
celtababe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give me the run down on schools??
Brit Curriculum for years 6 and 11.

How difficult is it to get kids into Doha College or would you recommend other schools?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: