Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QU questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toughcookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

Sorry, Celtababe, can't help you with that. Perhaps someone else has this info? Good luck!
TC
celtababe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TC for your input so far.
toughcookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

You're most welcome!
TC
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: QU questions Reply with quote

toughcookie wrote:
Unfortunately YES! And I believe that BD will back me on this...
TC

Heh... When CELTABABE said she had driven in the UAE for 3 years, I chuckled. Driving in Doha is an order of magnitude more challenging. It sometimes feels like we're in one of those Road Warrior movies. You have to be willing to take your reflexes to a higher level. Drive by intuition. Do the Jedi thing where you close your eyes and let The Force guide you. The Zen of driving.
celtababe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next question was going to be about transferring my driver's license..TAXI!!!!!
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celtababe wrote:
My next question was going to be about transferring my driver's license..TAXI!!!!!

Let's see... how does that work? They aren't too picky about whether your driver's license matches your passport. I showed my UAE license when I applied here, and my wife, who is not American, showed an American license. Neither of us had a problem getting a Qatar license. Just go to the license place (on Khalifa / Luqta near al-Gharaffa) after you get your residence visa. The eye test will make you laugh.

Oh, yeah: Forget the taxis. It can take two hours to get one, provided that they aren't already "fully booked".
celtababe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! I won't have to take a test then.

Any thoughts on schools anyone?
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celtababe wrote:
Whew! I won't have to take a test then.

Any thoughts on schools anyone?

Schools: Okay.

There are a handful of schools that offer the British curriculum. Google them. Are any of them significantly better or worse than the others? Probably not. You know how teachers and administrators select the jobs that they apply for, you know how they are hired, and you know what the results are. You also know that schools with better reputations charge more and are more difficult to get into, so you can use fees as a rough guide to how desirable the various schools are perceived by parents.

In Doha, just about every school has a waiting list. You need to get your children's names in yesterday for the more popular schools.
celtababe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bin Dun. Still waiting for a response so that I can get the ball rolling.
celtababe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlesticks!
Thanks for all your help on here but I got a "NO" so will have to try again next year I suppose.................
toughcookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Celtababe. One good thing: universities in this area are always hiring, so better luck next year! All the best,
TC
thursday12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee whiz - too bad Celtababe. Maybe next year. Like I said the moolah is good and place is really gettin better. Even more moolah if you work summer school. Them's the breaks. Gotta be a team player. That's the name of the game. But it's worth it. Better luck next time.
Atassi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday12,

I sent you a PM. Thanks for providing everyone with info on QU over the last few months.

Regards,

Atassi
squareandfair

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does being a 'team player' mean? It is an ambiguous term-can be both + and - . The term is usually used by corporate mentality types. My friend was asked if he was a 'team player' at his interview. Does it mean a person who works well with other members of staff and is supportive and cooperative? Or does it mean a brown noser -somebody who sucks up to management? It is confusing.
Atassi

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squareandfair wrote:
What does being a 'team player' mean?

To me it means being helpful to others for the good of everyone, and not making it difficult on others by being unhelpful. It doesn't mean doing more than others, and it doesn't mean one has to suck up to management (although getting along with management is not a bad idea).

Atassi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: