Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QU questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squareandfair wrote:
What does being a 'team player' mean?

It means somebody who does all the work and lets somebody else take the credit; someone who can do what he/she is told; someone whose favorite expression is "Yesboss!".
pencilead

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: teamplayer Reply with quote

a team player is someone who agrees with the status quo.
dmb

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
I agree

You know what's your problem is, Dmb? You are not a team player! Laughing

YesBoss, berry, berry good! Laughing
pencilead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: fruitpolisher Reply with quote

Team players are people who will always agree, nod vigorously and polish, polish, polish!
redsoxman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: U of Q vs HCT Reply with quote

I am considering an offer from U of Q as well as HCT. Has anyone had experience of both places? Which place is better?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had direct experience with HCT, but even with its warts, I'd say that I would definitely choose it over QU. I think QU's problems are probably overblown here as commonly happens, but HCT is more predictable as to its pros and cons... and life in the Emirates is much better than Doha.

JMHO

VS
redsoxman

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read you VS. The UAE sounds like a more ineresting place so I'll opt for that. Sounds like there's a lot to do in the UAE from what I read about it. I guess I'll try this wadi-bashing thing. Sounds exciting.

The thing that really turned me off U of Q was Celtababe's rejection.
The lady asked some questions that were relevant to her personal situ & for her honesty she got turned down. I was wondering about the so-called spying system that keeps being referred to. That's one thing that bugs me a lot. Did they match Celtababe's application to her questions? Her rejection makes me wonder. Anyway, your input made me go in the direction I was heading towards. I hope Celtababe found something that suits her. I hope HCT suits me. Hope it's not a cesspool.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a cesspool at all, but it also isn't a paradise spa. Cool

VS
redsoxman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]MOD EDIT
[/b]

Now I know I have made the right decision to go to HCT.

Turtles
Turtles
Turtles all the way down

There certainly seems to be some truth in that.

" I first read the phrase "Turtles All the Way Down" in a book by Stephen Hawking. According to the story, a bigname scientist was giving a lecture on astronomy. After the lecture, an elderly lady came up and told the scientist that he had it all wrong. 'The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist asked "And what is the turtle standing on?"
To which the lady triumphantly replied: "You're very clever, young man, but it's no use -- it's turtles all the way down."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've asked several people what they think this story means, and everyone seems to have a slightly different take on it.

To me, it is a reminder that most scientific fact is really hypothesis that has not been disproven, and there is always the possibility that maybe the old lady is right.

Here are some web pages that have very little in common except that they include the phrase "Turtles all the way down."

Symbolic Modeling
A Gateway to Jungian Psychology
O'Donnell Lecture
The Scheme Underground Web System
A Quarter-Century of Methodist Theology
Cretinism or Evilution
Review of A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME.
The Biblical Creation Society
Hypertext '96 notes
Glenn Vanderburg's Quotes
Past Lives, Constructivism, and Quantum Theory
Learning Organizations
Annotations to Terry Pratchett's SMALL GODS
Cognitive Linguistics
A Way to Describe and Evaluate Thought Experiments
Reality Ain't What It Used To Be
Slow Threats
Developing Your Personal Genius "Demon"
Ontological P*tons
Quarks -- It's Turtles All The Way Down
Our Picture of the Universe - by Stephen Hawking
Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa
Space, The Final Frontier

Home

[img][/img]
bje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely hope you're not destined for my branch of the HCT. We have enough complete nutters already...
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think all the nutters should be in Saudi ? Qatar should take its fair share too !
bje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You think all the nutters should be in Saudi ? Qatar should take its fair share too !

No, I said nothing about Saudi. I'm located in the UAE, and I don't really want too many more of them where I work...
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the Gulf States should take a proportionate share of nutters and loonies

In the interests of proportional redistribution we are sending some surplus teachers to Qatar, UAE and Oman.
squareandfair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bje - You've clearly missed something. I gather you're not the curious interested type. The 'Turtles' quote was threaded on another topic which was sent into cyberspace for reasons unknown or best known to the people in charge. redsoxman asked what 'Turtles' meant and someone told him to look it up. He did. I, probably like many others, found it very interesting. I take it you don't have a philosophical bent. The best teachers tend to be philosophic and perceptive. I don't know redsoxman but from what he's written, I don't think he's a nutter. Having worked at HCT, I've met my share of nutters - some are actually very nice people- I am sure they are out there everywhere - even at U of Q - there's one bad egg that I know of - maybe they have their nutters too. Nutters run rampant in ESL institutions. So just because someone is a deep and wants to know things, you don't have to call him a nutter. People who have enquiring minds make good teachers. Or perhaps you call people like that nutters, too?

Good luck to redsoxman - he's probably made the right decision to work at HCT. It's not a bad place, as well you know, and the UAE is a fabulous country with some amazing places. Why don't you check out some of the turtles sites, bje? Might make you a little less dogmatic and judgmental.
People have to make decisions they can live with. I decided not to pursue my application at U of Q for personal reasons. So redsoxman's chosen HCT. Good for him. If you meet him, you might find you like him. He's sounds like a perceptive type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: