Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

back to classes !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: back to classes ! Reply with quote

As I wait to go into class again I wonder why at my advanced age I am doing this here in the KofSA.

Then I remember the harsh economics of it. I am here for that paycheque at the end of the month. Any other way of looking at it is WRONG !
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot,
You are overly negative. While financial motives are of course important here, I for one do NOT think it is healthy to put your life on hold waiting for your monthly pay cheque. I certainly don't think you can say that any way of thinking other than your own is WRONG!

Plenty of people here do manage to make a life for themselves and quite enjoy their time in Saudi Arabia. I don't think you should begrudge them this. If you ask me, spending years of your life just wantching yuor bank account grow is plain WRONG!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: whay am I here ? Reply with quote

Well Cleo, I try to have some kind of life in Saudi. Since my family is not here, I feel I am missing out on a lot so I have to concentrate on positives.

Maybe for some going to the Mall or getting to Friday Prayers is their reason for being here.

As for me, just keep those paycheques coming !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is as much doing what we have to do too, isn't it --- I don't think Scot was trying to speak for anyone but himself (at the moment anyway).

Cleo's being younger and single does make it harder to relate. (I'm assuming here - just my guess from reading her messages) Actually never having the responsibility of kids, neither can I completely. Smile But, things do look different when you get on the high side of 50.

The way I see it, Saudi offers Scot47 the possibility of both supporting his family back home and still saving a tidy sum. Another advantage is that it is a short flight from his home and offers generous leave time. He is with one of the better employers and the students are pretty good.

As long as there are good books and the internet, it is certainly do-able - right Scot? Not perfect, but you get that nice monthly reminder.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your unveiled sentiments hit the spot !
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points taken.

When I read Scot saying that "any other way of looking at it is WRONG" I was assuming that he was making a general statement, one which I disagreee with.

BTW. I'm out of here in a few weeks, so it's not as though I have a great life here in KSA! However, I do know some people who have managed o build a life for themselves here - yes, including some young (ish!) single women like myself!

I think you have to be prepared to get out there, hustle and sell yourself (not in any seedy fashion, though God knows, that goes on too!), if you want a social life. Nobody is going to come to you. As for me, it's not in my character to go out hustling for contacts, and the compound scene isnt' my cup of tea anyway, so life has been dull for me, although fascinating in one sense.

Now it's back to uni and then - insh'allah - the UAE!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Reply with quote

Being here without my family means I have a different lifestyle and different goals to some people who come to KSA.

My priority is to accumulate some savings so I can leave and have something approaching a "normal" life back home.

Let's not foregt the economics of the equation that brought most of us to the ME !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Cleo, exactly what you said about your life there is why I never went to KSA. I had an offer at one time, considered it just for the experience (and I would have been working with friends who could have helped smooth my way) but I decided to take another job instead even though for less money. It wasn't a good choice either --- but that is another story. Sad

And you must watch that Scot fellow -- he does tend to generalize sometimes, but then so do we all I guess. Cool

I'm glad to hear that you are soon out of there. Do you already have a job lined up in the UAE? Good Luck and be sure to keep us all informed.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: The money and more Reply with quote

What kept me going for my 19 years in the Kingdom was not only the money ( which was, admittedly, a BIG factor ) but also the fact that I liked my job, and, even at the very end, actually looked forward to going to work each morning. Economics and curiosity brought me to the Kingdom, but enjoying my work is why I kept going back. The economic incentive itself wouldn't have been enough; money can somethimes cost too much.
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Veiled sentiments,

No, unfortunately I don't have a job lined up in the UAE. My plan is to do my Masters in Applied Linguistics - starting this Oct - and later start scouting around for a job. I'm hoping to get one the following academic year though I realise that may not be possible as many places will wnat to wait until I actually have the piece of paper as opposed to having finished the Masters course. No doubt I will be bugging you and others over the coming months to extract every possible piece of info!

Like John, I too loved my job during my first year here in KSA: my ss were great and I learned far more from them than vice versa. I've never been a party girl so the lack of clubs, pubs etc didn't bother me. However, wha has got me down more and more is the lack of freedom to do 'normal' things like have male guests round for dinner or to sit in a pavment cafe. I think if you talk to 10 female ex-pats in KSA, they would agree that they miss the "little" things rather than being bothered about wearing the abaya and not driving. But little things become big things after a while...

I will miss the place though. Odd though it may sound, the sheer 'weirdness' of life here can be intriguing, though even that palls after a while. I wouldn't rule out coming back, but not to Riyadh. That said, jobs for women teachers here are getting harder to find. Good old Saudiization!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: getting through the semester Reply with quote

As I knew without asking, it is not so bad. Once you launch into teaching things are better.

Get your head down, concentrate on the task in hand and hold out little treats for yourself. "After class I am going to have Turkish Coffee !"
"Tonight I will go and pick up a weekly magazine" "On Wednesday I will go and get rat-arsed on Sidiki."

Whatever !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: