Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most useful Masters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jademonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Most useful Masters Reply with quote

If one was to study a Masters for a long-term career in Japan, would one study it in ESL, Education, English, Linguistics or something else?
AndyH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Master's, but if I was going to try to earn one for a career in Japan, I would probably try for a degree in Education, in order to be able to have options other than teaching English.
jademonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyH wrote:
I don't have a Master's, but if I was going to try to earn one for a career in Japan, I would probably try for a degree in Education, in order to be able to have options other than teaching English.

There is that, yeah. But I can't think of too many other subjects I could teach because I'm not fluent in Japanese.
AndyH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with most Education programs that I'm familiar with, the student has a field of concentration, in which they are certified to teach. Usually it is related to the undergraduate degree.
You don't need to speak Japanese if you teach at an international school.
jademonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyH wrote:
Well, with most Education programs that I'm familiar with, the student has a field of concentration, in which they are certified to teach. Usually it is related to the undergraduate degree.
You don't need to speak Japanese if you teach at an international school.

Ah, gotcha. I majored in English & Philosophy, and am doing a postgrad teaching certificate in English & ESL.
User N. Ame

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Most useful Masters Reply with quote

jademonkey wrote:
If one was to study a Masters for a long-term career in Japan, would one study it in ESL, Education, English, Linguistics or something else?

MA in ikebana.

or

MA in geology plus your onsen technician certification (levels I, II and III).

The rest are all rather useless.

Good luck.
Chris21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean by your long-term plans. If it's at an Intl School, then a degree in Education might be most useful. However, if you'd like to teach at a uni, then an MA in TESOL, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, or Communication might be best. I'm a full-time prof now at a uni, having finished my Masters almost two years ago, and I don't think my undergrad degree had any bearing on me getting hired (however, it may be relevant at an Intl School).

EDIT: The place where you get your Masters is almost as important. The right school, especially one with either a good rep and/or lots of grads teaching in Japan, can make your job hunt a lot easier.
bearcat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MA that focuses on teaching rather than research would be your best bet: TESOL/TEFL/TESL or Education with a practicum and or internship.

Japanese universities are moving away from research based linguistics MA holders.
Precise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineering, IT, Biology, Archaeology, Rocket-scientology.
Gypsy Rose Kim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also recommend corporate training or training and development if you wanted to work in companies. A woman I used to work with did this (I thought she went to NYU but I can't be sure) and she's easily the richest English teacher I've met in Asia. Of course, she's also really smart and beautiful. But, she started out as Nova teacher eight years ago, so there's always hope...
jademonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate training, eh? I'll have to have a look at that too.
bearcat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or any MA TESOL that has additional training in ESP (English for Specific/Special Purposes). Some of the corporate training companies I know of look for people with specific backgrounds in a BA (business, engineering) etc and/or a simple MA.
seanmcginty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing a Masters in Law (LLM) at the University of Kyushu sometime in the near future, which should be pretty useful.

Probably the MA in the fields Bearcat mention would be most useful for someone interested in teaching though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: