Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Study World Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information about Study World in Indonesia? I was sent an email regarding possible employment for November.

I'm still in the beginning stages of job searching and was also wondering about wages. Is 4 million rupiah a fair income per month in Indonesia for an English teacher?

Thanks for any information! Jen
phis

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Studyworld Reply with quote

My advice to you is don't even consider it! You will find postings on the Job's Information Journal 'Asian forum', about this school, and maybe on other forums as well

I am talking from personal experience. Very few, if any, employees of this school stay the course. The school is onto a good thing, and don't really care, because they end up not paying end of contract bonuses, fiscal fees etc. They will also withhold your final month's salary on some pretext or another.

Also the 4 million is gross (in all senses of the word). Unless they have changed their policy, they will deduct housing costs, facility costs (electricity etc.), maid service etc., and 10% tax which the government never sees! If you are lucky, you will come away with about half your salary each month.

All this means that you will leave the school poorer than when you went in.

Don't be put off coming to Indonesia. It is a great place to live and work and there are many good schools here.

This is not one of them!
Winmar

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound to good! I've never heard of them - where do they operate?
phis

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Studyworld Reply with quote

Semarang, Central Java
Joachim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally with "phis" on this one. I am another Study World survivor, and wouldn't wish that working environment on anybody!!

Everything that phis says is correct, plus they are sneaky, deceptive, fraudulent and dishonest. They are currently advertising for teachers on this site - and half the promises they make WILL NEVER HAPPEN!.

While I was working there, two of the foreign teachers had nervous breakdowns due to the insane amounts of totally unjustifiable stress they were under.

For more info, please read my post "Warning" in the Job Information journal section of this site.
Winestock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennie.......Listen to Joachim.

I am yet another Studyworld (non) survivor.

Everything that has been written is true, although one person in particular who has posted on this page should take a long hard look at themselves before they start blaming others for their failings.

This place stinks to high heaven. The owner operates illegally (she used to own EF Semerang, left, signed a legal contract saying she wouldn't set up a competitor and then opened Studyworld). The mangement team are clueless, manipulative of the native Indonesian staff, dishonest, deceptive and fraudulent. The 'tax' taken from our salary went straight to their coffers. I became part of this 'team' temporarily after the AC left under a cloud. In doing so I let myself, and more importantly the other teachers down by the manner in which I got sucked into doing their bidding. It has left a sour taste in my mouth to this day.

Nobody has survived the contract. Nobody could. Two teachers remained after I had left. The Bali bomb exploded, embassies rang to urge them to leave the country. What does Studyworld do? Forge faxes from those embassies saying that all of a sudden Indonesia is safe and that they should stay otherwise they would be fined heftily. They left.

I spent the majority of the contract with only one teacher, as the others had left. We worked our arses off, tried our hardest and even had to resort to buying our own teaching materials to give decent lessons. The school is all about taking money, but refused to invest in even the most basic necessities.

Semerang is polluted and smelly. The only things to do are go swimming or wander round the malls. It is full of rich 'Indonesians' who send their sad, uninspiring children who list 'sleeping' as their favourite hobby to learn English. We looked forward only to the weekend when an escape could be made to the haven that is Yogyakarta.

Avoid like the plague.
Winmar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: