Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Degree requirement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djk1000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Question about Degree requirement Reply with quote

Hi,

Apologies for the long post!

I know that the degree requirement for most jobs has been discussed to death, but I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me and if so, how did it go?

I have two "degree equivalent" qualifications. One is an Irish Higher Diploma, which is recognised in Ireland as being at the level of honours bachelors degree. The other is an advanced professional diploma from a chartered institute in the UK, which they say is the equivalent of a bachelors degree.

The awarding bodies of both qualifications are official, above board and internationally recognised and both have issued me with letters of equivalence stating that they are at the level of a bachelors degree.

What I'm really wondering is, in countries where I would need a work visa, would my application be thrown out, or does the concept of "degree equivalence" hold water? South korea for instance states BA for Epik and there is no mention of any other qualification being acceptable.

The reason I ask is that I'm about to take a couple of years off and teaching English is something I'd like to do while I travel. I don't want to find half way through that I can't get a visa because my certs don't say "Bachelor".

I have the option of transferring credit for these qualifications to a university, taking a couple of classes over the next year and getting a degree that way, but it's a lot of effort for a piece of paper that adds no value to my CV at home.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Degree requirement Reply with quote

djk1000 wrote:
I have the option of transferring credit for these qualifications to a university, taking a couple of classes over the next year and getting a degree that way, but it's a lot of effort for a piece of paper that adds no value to my CV at home.

Other than SK, you didn't state any additional countries you're interested in. But if all it takes is a couple of university classes to clear up any potential confusion about your academic credentials, then do it. Otherwise, simply focus on those countries where one can still work without a BA, or you can contact the embassies of your target locations to confirm if your diplomas would qualify you for a work visa/permit.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Degree requirement Reply with quote

djk1000 wrote:
Hi,

Apologies for the long post!

I know that the degree requirement for most jobs has been discussed to death, but I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me and if so, how did it go?

I have two "degree equivalent" qualifications. One is an Irish Higher Diploma, which is recognised in Ireland as being at the level of honours bachelors degree. The other is an advanced professional diploma from a chartered institute in the UK, which they say is the equivalent of a bachelors degree.

The awarding bodies of both qualifications are official, above board and internationally recognised and both have issued me with letters of equivalence stating that they are at the level of a bachelors degree.

What I'm really wondering is, in countries where I would need a work visa, would my application be thrown out, or does the concept of "degree equivalence" hold water? South korea for instance states BA for Epik and there is no mention of any other qualification being acceptable.

The reason I ask is that I'm about to take a couple of years off and teaching English is something I'd like to do while I travel. I don't want to find half way through that I can't get a visa because my certs don't say "Bachelor".

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Let us be absolutely clear here. The requirement for a degree is usually a visa requirement and not an employer issue.

Immigration departments globally are no different than the UK. They don't bend rules to suit you. Either you meet the requirements as listed or you do not get a visa.

Employers on the other hand often don't care beyond what it takes to make you legal.

If you are from the UK then try western Europe. At leave you will have fewer visa issues.

As of 2015 (AEC integration) there will be NO LEGAL OPTION (other than the TaLK program - https://www.talk.go.kr/talk/talk_new/main/main_eng.jsp )) for you to work as an English teacher in East or S.East Asia without a degree.

MOD EDIT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: