Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking For Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClarkP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Looking For Advice Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in an unsatisfying office job and looking to try something new. I've been reading this board for a while now and am looking for a little helpful advice.

First off, info about myself:
I'm 24 year old male American.

I have a bachelor's degree from William and Mary in VA.

I have about a year's experience teaching in a private high school, I've tutored people in Latin during college, and I've had a little experience with teaching smaller children.

I don't have any formal TEFL certification but am considering signing up for the CERTA.

From your experiences, what kind of job in what countries could I probably get?

My preferences/questions:
1) I would like to minimize my actual classroom hours. Anything more than 20-24 seems hellish to me. I'd like to avoid the split shifts/weekend work, etc.

2) The more vacation time the better. Obviously! Is two weeks pretty much standard throughought asia?

3) I certainly don't feel the need to save a whole lot, nor do I have any financial burdens except for feeding/clothing myself. I do like to go out and travel but by no means carry on an extravagant lifestyle.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Thailand. I'm a very laid-back individual and from what I've read their outlook on life appeals to me. This said, I'm in no way a lazy person. Anything I do, I do to my utmost ability.

Siiiigh, well assuming any of you has gotten this far, would you agree that Thailand seems my best fit? If not feel free to convince me to go elsewhere!

Thanks in advance for your help!
hagakuri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Sounds Good Reply with quote

I would have to say that Thailand sounds like your cup of tea. The lifestyle there is very easy. It is pretty much a no hassle lifestyle. Especially if you dont have any debt, or have no intention of putting away any savings.

There are holidays, holidays, and more holidays. For example, there is a huge holiday coming in October for a solid 4 weeks (PAID). Then there are others throughout the year. All and all, you work about 8 months of the year if you have a good situation at an International school. If you work for places like ECC, your schedule will look drastically different.

Just make sure you get the holidays that you want, and that they are paid.

Right now is not a bad time to start dropping resumes, because many teachers leave after the October holiday (without warning)... and often schools scramble to find a replacement.

Enjoy the lifestyle there... send a postcard!
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something casual, you're laid back and don't want to work much, AVOID Japan. It is nothing like that here.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like Chang Mai-- cool breezes, lots of hours, nice chi-chi Italian restaurants, bogus spas and health retreats, etc etc.

On the other hand, if you wish to see the real thing, and not a comfy western colony in a rapidly westernizing country, i would recommend Cambodia. If you dont like it you can return to Thailand.

Thailand is a hyper-marketed tourist colony, which is allright if you dont mind that kind of thing. Also, depending where you are, the Thais can give you serious attitude, something that hasnt arrived in Laos or Cambodia-- yet. I cant speak about Nam.

In any case, whereever you go, best of luck to you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice Reply with quote

Hello,
I am living and working at a School in China now but I have just been in Vietnam in July and August and know a bit about the scene there if you would like to email me with any questions. You do not have to sign a contract in Vietnam.
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Have you considered China ? Reply with quote

Hello there,

I believe that in Thailand most ESL teaching jobs don't provide accommodation.So, if you manage to find a reasonably paid job in that country,you may have to fork out a lot for a decent flat.

I'm currently teaching in China.Most of the jobs here usually provide accommodation.My current job is at a tertiary institution,where I work only 15 hours pw and am provided with my own spacious, fully-furnished flat. The holidays at colleges and unis are v.good,eg:4 weeks in winter,about 8 weeks in summer,and a week's break in both May and early October.

There are also plenty of jobs in language schools here;most of which pay considerably higher salaries than colleges/unis.But in language schools, the hours may be longer than in tertiary institutions.Also,I believe that the holidays provided by the language schools are not as generous as those offered by the unis.

So,why not consider a job at a Chinese college or uni ?

Regards,

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: