Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall Street

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRCash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Wall Street Reply with quote

Are they as bad as I've read on here to work for?
quoi_de_neuf?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's mainly the pay that's not so hot with them - in France it's about 11� an hour BEFORE tax... So after tax, you're left with very little... In French terms, you'd probably earn more if you were on the dole. A friend of mine went for interview with Wall St and was surprised that the salary quoted was 9� an hour. Presumably it varies from city to city?

I know someone who works for Wall St - she has virtually no teaching experience and no TEFL / CELTA. She's viewing her job as a means to funding her travels!
JetSetJake

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Wall Street Reply with quote

Hi,

I have never worked for Wall Street, and nor would I ever. This is based on my dealings with them whilst trying to actually find a job.

Firstly, over the course of maybe a year or so I applied to them every time they advertised vacancies on a well-known job site. A few times I was contacted saying they had no vacancies. Once, I was called at 8pm in the evening and missed the call because I was on my way home from teaching. So I called back the next day and only got answering machines, so I left a message twice. Nobody called me back. I emailed the recruitment person, no reply. This is despite the fact they called me and obviously wanted to talk to me. My most recent experience with them, however, is what has made me determined to avoid them at all costs - their schools in France and everywhere else (given that I have experienced the same ignoring tactics from their operation in China also). My last experience was speaking to somebody from a WSI school in France who was interested in discussing my application further - however, when I told her it would take me a little time to organise time off to come for an interview (even though I was willing to do it - bearing in mind I am not currently in France), she kept interrupting me trying to end the conversation and then put the phone down on me mid-sentence.

So are they as bad as people say - I would say so, yes Sad
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Set, the woman may have realised that you haven't yet got working permission for France when you told her you were not currently in the country. If this was the problem, of course she should have addressed the matter directly, but she likely was searching for someone whom she could hire with few legal hassles.
JetSetJake

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am an EU citizen and have previously worked in France (all of which she knew from my CV and application - which incidentally also included my current address...), I have no problems with the right to work in France.

Yes, maybe she was looking for someone to start immediately, but that was not clear in the advert, nor is it an excuse to be so rude to somebody.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you entirely. It was just rudeness.
Nashledanou

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I just wanted to open a thread myself but this one will do nicely. I am in touch with the WSI and an interview is scheduled. I guess I will know more as I get there; nevertheless, I asked about the terms of the agreement and this is the answer I got.

Quote:
We are offering a CDI contract which means that you are guaranteed your hours every week and you have job security. In France the CDI contract is the best contract because the contract does not have a fixed date so that means you can work for us for 1 year or as long as you decide to stay. We are however looking for someone to stay a minimum of a year. The contracts we have are for 31 hours a week (23 classes and 8 hours of paid prep). All the classes are taught in the center. We do have some outdoor activities like the Pub Night or Cinema trips, but you never travel to companies.

We are open from Monday to Saturday. So teachers work on Saturdays too, but you will work 4 or 5 days a week max, unless you are interested in overtime. If your students don't show up for a class one day, you are still paid.

The salary is 1372� per month plus two 38.50� bonuses based on being on time, entering your results into our computer system at the end of the day and your basic teacher tasks. We offer paid training, usually one week of training is required.

We offer:
Health coverage
50% of your Carte Orange paid for (monthly transportation fees in Paris)
Restaurante vouchers after your trial period
5 weeks paid holidays + 5 extra fixed days for teachers
Profit sharing
Free French classes
Re-training, regular teachers' meetings and support

My questions are these:

- I think they mean 1372 gross, so do you happen to know what that would be after tax?

- can one survive in Paris with such a salary? According to a friend of mine who lives there, yes, and there is still enough to put aside if one is thrifty enough

- is there the possibility of getting more in Paris, and if so, would you be so kind as to put me towards some good schools?

I am a EU citizen, and as a teacher I have a 1-year experience (in the Czech Republic, fantastic place to start)

Thanks a lot for your replies.
running dog

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked for the WSI, but I started my career in dumps like this and, for what it's worth, here's my take on the typical profile of what they expect and get in terms of employees.
(a) You're either gap year (although that might be a bit too young) or looking to have a year off after you've completed your B.A. The net salary you'll receive will be around the 1,000 euro mark which might - and this is open to debate - allow you to live in Paris if you're prepared to slum it ( a lot of 23 year olds still have romantic notions about the place), living in an HLM in the banlieues, eating in the cheapest immigrant quarters and drinking rotgut vin ordinaire.
(B) You'll have to smarten up, appearence wise, at least during work hours. Your employers know you're young and that, in the circles you usually frequent, dreadlocks done up in a scarf and go-to-hell dungarees are de-rigeuer but, for their clients, they expect a presentation that gives the impression you've just come from working as an intern in the Clinton era White House.
(C) On the plus side, if you want to concentrate most of your time on completing an M.A on Victor Hugo or Georges Bataille and want to improve your spoken French before taking up a "proper" teaching post back in the UK or U.S it's probably not that bad a gig.
Good luck.
Meowwow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for them in paris and they are actually ok. the pay is bad 1100 euros after tax. but u only work 4 days a week and the work is really easy. The people i work with are actually nice - the teachers are nice , centre manager is nice, receptionists are friendly. Sales consultants are very false though.. only thing is as a big corporation they aren't 100% truthful - u won't get luncheon vouchers for Two months and the french lessons are 1 hr a week very far away. and the training basically consists of observing lessons and watching a dvd.. but u get paid for it.. and that's more training than i got in my previous tefl job in asia..
u will have to look smart (ish) for three days a week ( fri is casual day...) and u wont have a lot of money but i take privates (sssh) on the side and do fine. advertise on kijiji or other french websites for students..
Nmarie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they pay a salary, it is worth considering -- At least until you find something better. Many schools pay hourly with no minimum guarantee of hours, which is disastrous due to cancellations, holidays, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: