Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criteria for grading
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to have the students work in pairs and tape themselves while you do other activities with the other class members (could be written portion, practice, etc.). Of course later it means you have to listen to all the tapes grading on grammar, structural usage, fluency, etc... and weighting it as you see fit.
Afra

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For speaking, the UCLES model of two students, one interlocutor who gives a global grade and one listener who gives a profile grade works well. The IELTS system of one student, one interviewer and one tape machine is quite intimidating.
How often or how much you should test is culturally based so agreement is hard to come by.
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How often or how much you should test is culturally based so agreement is hard to come by.

Some lecturers I work with state that every class is a test as they constantly evaluate. I sometimes think it's more a test of my sanity with teaching so many low level unmotivated (too many) students Cool . Of course, I can't imagine English would ever be useful in the future, but what do I know?
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading....I am starting my first assesments or exams tomorrow....my school has basically given me a free reign to do as I see fit.

I teach grade one college students and will simply have A, B, C or fail gradings.....accompanied by comments where applicable.

I have been keeping records for several weeks so if a good speaker fails, I may be more generous with them based on past performance, and if a previously bad speaker does well...I will question them, simply as they may have been drilled by a classmate.

im doing nothing fancy in class with them....tomorrow is just a "show and tell" lesson...and next week they will have 5 topics we can have question and answer sessions on....where I will attempt to draw them into a dialogue..

As I say, nothing fancy as their ability isnt great...I shall be expecting to fail about 20% though! The failure will be people who refuse to participate I think....I have a few classes like that. Not sure how the school will view it...
guangho

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very little to guide me so I use the goalposts of the assignment. For example, if it is an argumentative essay, most of the credit goes to making logical arguments, anticipating the other side's points and successfully rebutting them. In oral presentations, being prepared and appearing professional goes a long way- their spoken English does not have to be perfect but they must make an effort and stay within the discussed guidelines. It's really up to your institution's and your priorities- what are you seeking to accomplish with a particular assignment?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: