Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many times...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: How many times... Reply with quote

As it has been clearly pointed out by several posters, getting a job in Romania is a nightmare. It seems some of the smaller schools would be quite happy to have a native speaking teacher in their classes, but generally shy away from taking you on because of the headache of arranging a work permit for you, which is both time consuming and expensive for them. That d*mned red tape...

So, as a Brit, I can stay in Romania for a period of 30 days on a basic tourist visa. I can visit Romania as many times as I like according to the chap at their consulate here is Istanbul. If I found some cash-in-hand work, topped up by a few private lessons, translations and so on, how many times could I get away with slipping over the nearest border, staying a night, and coming in again on a new 30-day stamp?

Really, I'm only looking at staying there for a short while, but certainly longer than a month, probably no more than a year. Even the money wouldn't be so much of a problem as I'll have enough resources to live there quite comfortably for quite a while (although of course I'd prefer to work so as not to deplete my savings too much and just to keep my hand in and pass the time).

Any ideas/comments?

Regards,
Mike
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOrder hop. Get a lot of private lessons. And hope not to be caught by the police. If you are you will be deported, but if you only want to go for a while and not reutrn, I guess yuo've got nothing to lose. Best of luck!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOrder hop. Get a lot of private lessons. And hope not to be caught by the police. If you are you will be deported, but if you only want to go for a while and not reutrn, I guess yuo've got nothing to lose. Best of luck!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: How ? Reply with quote

Marry a Romanian ?
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Why Romania? Reply with quote

Just curious as to what captures your interest about wanting to work in Romania..?

Ok they have some nice towns etc...with interesting history, architecture etc...

But as for the people...it does not seem to be a very friendly welcoming culture. Some British volunteers in Brasov report that they are constantly insulted and harassed by local youths in the neighborhood they live in. One of the Brits. was punched and kicked by a local youth in Brasov because he was not Romanian.

Surely, there are much more pleasant places to work than Romania. For example the Czech Rep. and Slovakia seem to have people who are more welcoming to foreigners.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's kinda hard to explain just in a post. I've lived in the CZ, people are friendly.

Long and short of it is I'm part Romanian. I look like one, and understand a bit of the language. my mother was born there. I've been wanting to go there for 8 years now, so it's not a spur of the moment decision. It's part of my history and my culture.

Also, I want to work with street kids, part-time. I've done it before and really enjoy it. I've been researching teaching organisations for about a year and a half now. I found a good one, and applied.

But you never know what will happen. I've decided that if I don't get accepted, I'm going to South America for a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: