Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal Eikaiwa/Language school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Ideal Eikaiwa/Language school Reply with quote

Some here, in desperation, have applied to any school that is currently recruiting. But if you had the qualifications, were sincere and dedicated and could afford to be picky, what sort of language school would you like to work for?
flyingkiwi

Location: In the Golden Gai in Shinjuku, arguing with Mama-san over my tab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking Very Happy

For me, a salary of 300,000 would be nice.
Nice boss who isn't a Fascist or slave-driver.

Good co-workers,

Good students, mostly adults (for me anyway).

National holidays like Golden week off.

-Does such a school exist?
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal Eikaiwa/Language school Reply with quote

rampo wrote:
Some here, in desperation, have applied to any school that is currently recruiting. But if you had the qualifications, were sincere and dedicated and could afford to be picky, what sort of language school would you like to work for?

If qualifications weren't a problem then wouldn't a university or a private high school be the places to aim for?
rampo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal Eikaiwa/Language school Reply with quote

furiousmilksheikali wrote:
rampo wrote:

If qualifications weren't a problem then wouldn't a university or a private high school be the places to aim for?

Doesn't that depend on the individual??

Not everyone wants a Louis Vuitton purse, either.
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal Eikaiwa/Language school Reply with quote

rampo wrote:
furiousmilksheikali wrote:
rampo wrote:

Doesn't that depend on the individual??

Not everyone wants a Louis Vuitton purse, either.

Well, yes. So what are you expecting from this thread?
Yawarakaijin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't work for an Eikaiwa nor a University and I quite like my situation. I work for a small Canadian company that contracts us out to work in a business settting. Actually we are ONLY contracted out for one company and make all our money through them.

I rarely see my "boss." I work at a few different locations of the same company. Small classes of between 2 to 4 students, the curriculum is entirely decided by me and have I no to very little supervision. It's a nice place, for the most part one feels part of the team, with the exception of a few individuals who I just don't get along with but thats to be expected in such a large company. I get all the national holidays off because its a company and well, they don't go to work on holidays so who am I to teach? Wink In addition I get one week off of my choosing. NO kids to teach is also a blessing. With the exception of putting up with office politics and a few prickly personalities I think I am working in my ideal eikaiwa, it's just not an Eikaiwa. Very Happy
gaijin4life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingkiwi wrote:
For me, a salary of 300,000 would be nice.
Nice boss who isn't a Fascist or slave-driver.
Good co-workers,
Good students, mostly adults (for me anyway).
National holidays like Golden week off.
-Does such a school exist?

I have 3 of the above. Some co-workers are a bit questionable - though you get that anywhere and some of my students are rather trying .. I would trade in some of the above for a better working environment and more motivated, less high-maintenance students ... Rolling Eyes - Its a hard-road finding the perfect job ... Confused
flyingkiwi

Location: In the Golden Gai in Shinjuku, arguing with Mama-san over my tab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you working for gaijin4life?
Yawarakaijin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of those except for good students. Why am I sometimes longing to be back in Vancouver? I guess when one spends most of his time teaching, decent students are such a blessing. I long for the days when I didn't have to drag my students to class. If I didn't have those other things I would be outta here so fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: