Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

does this still exist?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
denise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: does this still exist? Reply with quote

I left Japan a couple of years ago, but I still lurk on the forum sometimes to see what's going on over there. The thread about MAs and whether or not they are really helpful got me thinking... People say that experience in Japan is really useful for getting good jobs (e.g., university jobs)--so a few years of experience in other countries might not matter. As mentioned on that other thread, eikaiwas only pay a tiny bit more for MA holders.

I went to Japan straight out of grad school. I did have a couple of years of teaching experience, but not in Japan, so no good Japanese contacts. I did, however, get what I thought was a good job.

I taught in the Intensive English Program of an American university that had a satellite campus in Japan. Professors who taught the actual university courses should have had PhDs, but since the IEP program did not give university credit, only MAs were required.

I've heard that in the "Golden Days" of Japan there were many such programs, but all through the '90s they were closed, for various reasons. Mine was closed, too, which was why I left. Do such programs still exist anywhere? If so, they would be good options for MA holders who don't quite qualify for full-fledged university positions.

d
Miyazaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you want to come back to live and teach in Japan.

A B.A., with contacts, and an M.A. can land you position in a "senmon gakko", college or even university.

One doesn't need to have a Ph.D to get a university job in Japan.

There are plenty of B.A. holders earining Y400,000 per month with a 4 day, 20 hour work-week.

They don't advertise here.
denise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wasn't planning on returning! I was just thinking that it would be a good option for people with MAs. I've heard that some unis ask for PhDs, publications, etc. MA holders who don't get university jobs really don't get much of a reward for having their MAs, I think.

d
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universities are merging and/or closing due to falling enrollment because of the declining birthrate. It is predicted that by around 2050 anyone who applies for admission will get in. So much for college entrance exams.

Where does that put teachers? Fewer jobs. Some predict that tenure will not just be rare, it will be nonexistent. Some predict that university jobs will only be held by part-timers, whether through direct hire or dispatch agencies (the latter is a growing concern).
Betty Lou Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree! You sure do sound like you want to come back! Nothing wrong with wanting to come back! I myself, love it here! Just avoid the trains during rush hour!
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Universities are merging and/or closing due to falling enrollment because of the declining birthrate. It is predicted that by around 2050 anyone who applies for admission will get in. So much for college entrance exams.

Where does that put teachers? Fewer jobs. Some predict that tenure will not just be rare, it will be nonexistent. Some predict that university jobs will only be held by part-timers, whether through direct hire or dispatch agencies (the latter is a growing concern).

So does that mean English will be cut altogether (because it is largely just being used as an academic subject with a very low success rate)? Or by that time will Japan have figured out that communicative teaching does not mean rote drills done through speaking instead of writing (my guess is that they will 'figure this out' the instant they realize that to not figure it out' means that the JTEs will be out of jobs too).
nomadder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to get those contacts?
wabisabi365

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Contacts Reply with quote

Conferences are one place to make contacts - JALT and ETJ are a couple that come to mind. Go on-line and you'll see when the get-togethers in your region are taking place. The biggie is JALT in November (this year in Tokyo).

ws365
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: