Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on ESL Teaching In Japan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Questions on ESL Teaching In Japan Reply with quote

I am thinking of the possibility of going to Japan to teach ESL. What kind of experience are they looking for? Is it like China and Korea where the demand is huge and they are hiring people even with no experience? Also I have looked into the salary of ESL teachers and they make a little over 2K a month. I know the standard of living in Japan is high but will you be able to live off that amount as well as have extra money for entertainment expenses like video games and such. If you work outside of Tokyo in the other cities and towns will the standard of living be lower and will one's salary go a longer way? Let me know what your opinions are.
Shimmeringstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the search tool you'll find quite a bit of information about these topics. Smile

For experience, Japan is looking for the same as many other countries: experience teaching! It's sometimes not a requirement, but of course teaching experience increases your chances of getting a teaching job!

Yes, cost of living in Tokyo is high, and yes, cost of living is lower in some other parts of Japan. Depending on how much someone makes, they can live quite well in some areas. This depends widely on lifestyle, traveling, etc.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutshell reply:

Entry level jobs accept mostly inexperienced applicants, as long as they meet requirements for a work visa (bachelor's degree in any subject is the norm).

You get paid enough to live on. You won't get rich, and if you are a newly graduated worker, you will likely have debts to pay off, which means saving less than others. That's life. If you are industrious, you could supplement your income with private lessons, but you may have to deal with employers that try to prohibit that. Spend money like there's no tomorrow, here or back home, and you will go broke fast. Some people are frugal and make a tidy sum, while others may go home without saving a penny. It's your lifestyle choice. Obviously, living in rural areas will be cheaper on the whole, compared to the bigger cities, but you may feel isolated there and want to make trips to the city. That will cost money.

Entry level work is still work, something that many newbies tend to neglect. Your students are either clients for an eikaiwa, or kids that are forced to attend classes because they are in public schools. You may see the latter infrequently, and you are likely not going to be the boss in the classroom. Eikaiwas put you in charge, but the size of the classes are small, and you might even feel pressures of sales in order to keep your job.

Show up on time, sober without hangover, do your work without complaints (unless needed, of course), know what you are getting into, try not to impose western morals of society or business on where you are, and realize that this is still a job. Your off hours are your own, but you are a foreigner in a foreign land. Do your best to act responsibly, but you can still have a good time and see a lot. That means seeing the sights as well as learning the culture.
Quibby84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont spend your money on unnecessary things (such as parties every weekend) then there is no reason why you wont be able to live comfortably. I have my husband's salary and mine (but living expenses is for two people) and we do really well. We used to go on AT LEAST one vacation a month but lately we have been so busy that just staying home is a vacation on the weekends (we are also going home soon for a month). But we still save alot of money and my husband still buys video games, and we buy cable, and a new computer... People complain about the money, and maybe it is because we are from Louisiana and you cant make much there, but I feel like we have a lot of money. We save a bunch but still spend a bunch.... So dont worry about the money...you will be fine.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quibby,
Your point about not spending money needlessly is sound, however everyone has their own idea of living "comfortably". A guy I know of says an average life for him is having cases of imported wine. Not your regular sort.

As for your comparing of your two incomes to live on comfortably and having a vacation per month, don't you think it's a bit unfair to compare with magicmajenta, who is probably coming as an individual to live on just one salary?
Wasabi Bomb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for an eikaiwa company, earning about 270,000 per month before taxes. I have an apartment very close to the city center in Osaka, I have a gym membership, I have cable and internet, I eat out at a modest restaurant or go out for drinks around twice a week, and go to nightclubs once a week (without drinking a lot). I save about 60,000 a month. I wouldn`t say it`s a luxurious lifestyle or that I`m really saving a lot, but obviously it pays the bills and allows me to have some fun in the city. I used to save around 80,000 a month but I was eating crappy food like instant spaghetti all the time.

If you live in a small town you will save more because rent is cheaper and there are fewer entertainment options. My rent in Osaka is 70,000 plus utilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: