Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I too late?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
october

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Am I too late? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have been a EFL K12 teacher for 6 years in Israel. I am an American who has been in Israel since the age of 8 (okay.. I'm 36...) lately I have been thinking seriously about moving back to the states with my husband and two children and teaching there. I'm starting my Masters this year.
so... What do guys think? is it possible? I would love the challange!
Do you need more info?
I would really appreciate your advice and thoughts.
thanks
October. [img][/img]
denise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're certainly not too late, but the job situation in the States isn't very promising right now. An MA is expected/required for most jobs, and the salary/conditions generally aren't that great. There are, of course, good jobs out there, but they are very few.

d
denise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum:

What level are you hoping to teach? If you want to stay in K-12, you'll need state certification.

d
lucy k

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't think the ESL job market in the USA is that bleak. Especially in K-12, the field is really growing and alot of schools are in need of ESL teachers. I did my M.A. in Atlanta, GA, and even though I didn't go into the K-12 field, many of my classmates did. In the Atlanta area, public schools will hire ESL teachers without teaching certification, and then allow them a certain amount of time to obtain it. This is because the immigrant population of Atlanta is growing so fast, and they are in need of teachers. I have heard of other areas of the country that are in the same situation, California for example. I think there are plenty of opportunities out there! Good luck!
denise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me after my last couple of posts that maybe I was a bit off base. I am speaking only about the context/target population that I am familiar with: pre-university young adults/adults. I just finished my MA in California (which is actually losing jobs, at least in the contexts in which I want to teach) and packed up and left rather than settling for part-time poorly paid work.

So the adult education/university/private language school situation isn't too great right now, but K-12 is a whole 'nother story.

d
october

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your opinions.
Lucy - it's so funny that you mentioned Atlanta, GA, since that is where i'm thinking of right now, my brother lives there, so for my family it might be easier! Do you know of specific areas, that are also nice to live in?
thanks so much! (look at me - i'm getting excited already!!)
october.
lucy k

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed living in Atlanta, I highly recommend it! You might want to check into the Gwinnett County public school system. I went to the TESOL conference last year in Salt Lake City, UT, and they were there. They interviewed and hired many ESL teachers. Their ESL department is really growing. And their pay was quite reasonable. Gwinnett County is in the suburbs of Atlanta, I've never spent time there, but it's supposed to be nice. Good luck, let us know what happens!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: