Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Privates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nmarie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Privates Reply with quote

Does anyone else loathe doing them??

Perhaps I've just had rotten luck, but they are incredibly inconsistent. I've experienced the following tendencies:

- They book regularly for a few weeks and then completely disappear, or

- They are regular for awhile, disappear, and then come back (with a repeated pattern of this), or

- They are consistently...inconsistent! This week yes, the next two weeks no, back again, etc...

I have one woman who used to be fairly regular, 1.5 hours per week. Lately, she has been attempting to divide this same 1.5 hrs into 2-3 telephone sessions per (inconsistent) week. Nooo!

I am tempted to refrain from giving any further private lessons -- They hardly seem worthwhile. Any feedback on this?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, typical. And not just in France.
mdk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how are you arranging reimbursement? I have heard the best course is to collect a month in advance with 24 hour notice needed for a cancellation if they want credit.

What do you think?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that's a good approach. But few potential students are going to take such a chance on YOU, unless you've been around long enough to build up some serious local reputability.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdk,

You make a valid point. I will do this if I decide to take on new clients (Not sure how to broach this with the ones I've had for awhile now!). I have been reluctant to enforce such an arrangement, fearing it may cause strain and pressure on both sides. I just assumed that if people were serious about learning they would adhere to a regular schedule. I see now that I have to either change my outlook or refrain from privates altogether.

Last edited by Nmarie on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nmarie, I wasn't actually posting that for you. Sorry to hijack your thread!

I believe from your history of posting that you're based relatively long-term and you probably have the local reputability. I agree that Mdk's advice would likely work for you.

I was actually referring to something off-topic, which is that Mdk, if I recall, is a person who plans to bounce around quite a bit, counting on privates all the time. I may be mistaken about this! But in the case that it's true, my message was that, if you're going to be somewhere just a year or less, relying on private students probably won't work in terms of providing a regular income.

I've found over the years that private students tend to work in cycles best, like for three months at a time, then away, and then back. You might try setting up such a schedule, maybe even with something specific in terms of an agreed curriculum, and give a little price break if the student attends all (or some reasonable percentage) of the lessons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: