Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your gracious advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaudeRains

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Your gracious advice Reply with quote

Hello All!

I need the advice of those of you who have been living and teaching in Vietnam. I would appreciate your frankness, as well as all depth of detail you have the patience to provide.

I have been a journalist and a novelist for the last 20 years, a college English instructor for the last five. I have a BA/MA in English, plus another 27 in Rhetoric and Writing Instruction(yes, lots of grammar). I also have the coursework for a Secondary Teaching Certificate, but I never had the time to quit my job at the college to practice-teach in a high school. I have had many foreign students in my writing classes and found their work exemplary. To better serve them over the years, I have reviewed numerous texts on ESL grammar issues. In the process, I have developed an interest in applied linguistics and ELT.

My wife is a dance teacher with a BA/MA in dance/theater. She has a current Arizona Teaching Certificate. We both have lived and travelled abroad before--in Europe as well as Central and South America.

However, there could be some obstacles. After rather lengthy and painful perusals of Dave's, I've nearly despaired of finding the true skinny on teaching ANYWHERE in Asia. There is a cacophany of angry, calm, sour, serene, apparently wise and seemingly wacko voices all competing to mislead me inadvertently to the truth. The glass is especially smokey for Vietnam.

So... Are there jobs? Do they pay roughly 1000-1500 US dollars a month? Is the cost of a frugal life in Hanoi or HCM about 500 dollars a month, per person? When is the best time to come? We both want to pick up a Tefl or a Celta on arrival in SE Asia. Is the RMIT program in HCM the way to go? Or is Tefl International in Thailand better? Does it matter which one we do?

And the 60,000 dollar question: I am 52, she is 48. We're both athletic and in excellent health, and we each look ten years younger than our age. But that ain't 28. I believe we both have a lot to offer the ELT effort in Vietnam. Are they hooked on young teachers only? And have they forgiven us yet?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks for your time in assisting us.

Victor Lazlo

LIFE IS A TRAGEDY TO THOSE WHO FEEL; A COMEDY TO THOSE WHO THINK.
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Victor Lazlo!? Reply with quote

If you're Victor Lazlo, then I'm Rick Blaine! Trying to find information about teaching in Vietnam is kind of like trying to find the missing letters of transit in Casablanca...they are both almost impossible tasks. I too would like the current skinny on teaching English in Vietnam. There used to be a website devoted to this topic, but it appears it has been dead for at least a year (www.vietnam-notes.com). Maybe no one is talking about Vietnam because it is the best kept secret in the TEFL world?

I am beginning to believe that if one desires to teach in Vietnam, the best way to find out about it is to fly there and check it out on their own. That being said, can anyone provide the 411 as to what the situation is like in Vietnam today? Salary? Necessary qualifications? Number of openings? Best time to come? Does age matter?

Sorry to follow up you OP with more questions Victor, but I too am searching for the missing letters of transit!

Cheers,
Kirk
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Your gracious advice Reply with quote

ClaudeRains wrote:

I need the advice of those of you who have been living and teaching in Vietnam. I would appreciate your frankness, as well as all depth of detail you have the patience to provide.

I have been a journalist and a novelist for the last 20 years, a college English instructor for the last five. I have a BA/MA in English, plus another 27 in Rhetoric and Writing Instruction(yes, lots of grammar). I also have the coursework for a Secondary Teaching Certificate, but I never had the time to quit my job at the college to practice-teach in a high school. I have had many foreign students in my writing classes and found their work exemplary. What you encounter overseas teaching ESL will often be different. You will adjust your teaching style. To better serve them over the years, I have reviewed numerous texts on ESL grammar issues. In the process, I have developed an interest in applied linguistics and ELT.

My wife is a dance teacher with a BA/MA in dance/theater. She has a current Arizona Teaching Certificate. We both have lived and travelled abroad before--in Europe as well as Central and South America.

However, there could be some obstacles. After rather lengthy and painful perusals of Dave's, I've nearly despaired of finding the true skinny on teaching ANYWHERE in Asia. There is a cacophany of angry, calm, sour, serene, apparently wise and seemingly wacko voices all competing to mislead me inadvertently to the truth. The glass is especially smokey for Vietnam. Vietnam is far less smokey than some other places.
So... Are there jobs? Yes, the jobs are there---at the present, more than enough to go around Do they pay roughly 1000-1500 US dollars a month? You can easily make $1000 or more a month Is the cost of a frugal life in Hanoi or HCM about 500 dollars a month, per person? If you live very frugally, yes When is the best time to come? Not aware of any best time---hiring and teaching go on all the time We both want to pick up a Tefl or a Celta on arrival in SE Asia. Is the RMIT program in HCM the way to go? Or is Tefl International in Thailand better? Does it matter which one we do?Probably only to you and a particular employer or two. Some sort of TEFL certification will help and may result in higher salaries.

And the 60,000 dollar question: I am 52, she is 48. We're both athletic and in excellent health, and we each look ten years younger than our age. But that ain't 28. I believe we both have a lot to offer the ELT effort in Vietnam. Are they hooked on young teachers only? And have they forgiven us yet? Age does not seem to be a factor here. If anything, it can work in your favor. They want competence, experience and reliability. ESL experience is a major consideration for some employers.Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks for your time in assisting us.

Mo Pen Yang----Isaan (NE Thailand) dialect for, "No problem."

Victor Lazlo

LIFE IS A TRAGEDY TO THOSE WHO FEEL; A COMEDY TO THOSE WHO THINK.[/quote]
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Victor Lazlo!? Reply with quote

James_T_Kirk wrote:

"I am beginning to believe that if one desires to teach in Vietnam, the best way to find out about it is to fly there and check it out on their own."
--------------------------------------------------------

"Spot on," as my British friends would say.
ClaudeRains

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Thanks, Ajarn! Say...is "Ajarn Miguk" an anagram? Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I was in Ho Chi Minh City for July and August this year and I was offered several teaching positions - non of which I took.

I am now living and teaching at a School in China 3 hours northwest of Shanghai.

I have contacts for 3 Schools in Saigon and I can answer some of your questions if you would like to email me.

I am 56 - and have never taught before.

[email protected]

Marlene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: