Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Britanico, VivePeru back again?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: UK Britanico, VivePeru back again? Reply with quote

I just got an email asking about VivePeru in Trujillo. The man said he talked to someone on their onsite chat. Those of you in Trujillo, do you know if VivePeru is back in business?
nineisone, keepwalking, or Luna Chica?
Kevin_NY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: vive programmes Reply with quote

I actually stopped by the school when I was in Trujillo in June, because I am looking to move to Trujillo next year and was thinking about doing the TEFL there. No one on duty knew about the program, but they took my name and email address and within 24 hours I received this email.

We offer an innovating service of teaching foreign languages, trying in addition to be an axis that foments tourism and impels the appreciation and enjoying of cultural interchange. We develop professionals with solid values and positive attitude for a globalized world.
I am sending you our information about the TEFL Certification course we offer here in Trujillo. In addition to this, you can visit our website at http://www.viveprogrammes.com. You will find useful information for you

I asked a teacher in Trujillo about the program and she said they do not have a good reputation, so I will pursue my CELTA in NYC before I leave. It is a pity because it would have been one third of the cost n Peru.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny that they don't have any dates listed on the website.

Edit: I just emailed them and the email bounced. Guess they're out of business.
nineisone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the final student of the VivePeru TEFL program. There was an agreement between the facilitators of the program and the school to co-op the program. The primary TEFL instructor also taught at UK Britanico. She moved on to another position outside of Trujillo and the program was unable to find a replacement. Last I knew, there was an attempt to revive the program through another language school, but I guess it has been unsuccessful.

Yes, as Kevin mentions, the TEFL course had a poor reputation. Having taken it (you can read all my old posts for the info), I could vouch that the instruction was actually pretty good. And it is highly difficult to find a 160 hour course with 40 hours of observed teaching for that price with homestay for the month included. Most of the problems stemmed from the poor management of UK Britanico itself. All in All, for the price and for a newbie like myself at the time, it was a good value and worthy alternative to the more expensive TEFL cert programs elsewhere.

Hopefully, a similar program will start up with a different school and offer a good intro to ESL teaching for the many newbies interested in Peru but short on $.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved this email from them

Quote:

Subject: RE: TEFL certification
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for your email and please excuse the delay in my response.
Considering that you are interested in the TEFL Certification Program, I'm sending you the concerning information attached to this email.
Hope the information is useful for you.
concerning to your question I have to say that our next TEFL course begins on the first monday of October, Monday the 1st. We are opening a course every month and it begins the first Monday of it. We would like to know when are you visting Peru.
I look forward to your confirmation, Sharon. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
I will be glad to help. Have a great day!
Sincerely,
Daniela Julca
VIVE Programmes
nineisone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting naturegirl.

This would appear to be a different program than the one I took. Did they offer any other information regarding the costs,locations, and hour length of the program?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
Thanks for posting naturegirl.
This would appear to be a different program than the one I took. Did they offer any other information regarding the costs,locations, and hour length of the program?

I don't know. I think it's the same. It's in Trujillo. 80 hours in class and 80 outside of class. It says 8 hours a day for a month. Complete package which is airport pickup, materials, course, certificate, room and board, but no food on Sunday is 900USD.

If you only want the course and cert, it's 800 USD.

It's at www.viveprogrammes.com

What do you think, is it the same as the one you did?
nineisone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that appears to be the same package for the same price. Maybe it is. I was not immediately familiar with the author of the e-mail sent to you, but I now believe she is an instructor who used to teach at UK Britanico, and then moved on to El Cultural. So if the course is coordinated with that lang. institute, this would be good news as it has a much better reputation and I believe the largest enrollment of ESL learners in Trujillo.

Even though I am uncertain, I would list this program with other cert courses offered in Peru. The low cost alone gives a newbie a chance to experience Peru and get a basic overview of ESL teaching. And the home stay was a good experience as well. It sounds like the same setup. Even though I had teaching experience prior to arrival, all of the in-class practice was really valuable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: