Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMPORTANT APOSTILLE INFORMATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McMurphy_RP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the advice. I've ordered replacement diplomas to have apostilled, but I may not receive them until after I've left for Mexico, so I'm having my transcripts (with degree notations) apostilled in the meantime.

One of my universities insists that they are unable to process a request for an official transcript without the name and address of the institution to whom the transcript is being sent. (They will release it to me, but the name and address of the institution will appear on the transcript.)

Since I have no idea to whom I'll need to present the apostilled documents, does anybody have a suggestion about what name and address to give them? I'm thinking maybe something to do with the Mexican government - an embassy or consulate?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMurphy_RP wrote:

One of my universities insists that they are unable to process a request for an official transcript without the name and address of the institution to whom the transcript is being sent. (They will release it to me, but the name and address of the institution will appear on the transcript.)

Since I have no idea to whom I'll need to present the apostilled documents, does anybody have a suggestion about what name and address to give them? I'm thinking maybe something to do with the Mexican government - an embassy or consulate?

Give the university the name and address of the INM office where you'll be looking for work.
Samantha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that INM cares about, or will accept transcripts. They usually want only the diploma or certificate.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
I'm not sure that INM cares about, or will accept transcripts. They usually want only the diploma or certificate.

You're absolutely right, Samantha! Come to think of it, I don't have any transcripts here in Mexico and have never needed them for INM or for any jobs I've applied for.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated from college almost 20 years ago and I have NEVER had anyone ask for a transcript, except when I was applying for certification to teach, and that was only in one of the two states in which I was certified. I wouldn't worry that much about transcripts, bring them along, someone might want to see them, but most likely not. The diploma is what they want to see.
McMurphy_RP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether I'll have the replacement diplomas by the time I leave, so in case I don't, I'm hoping that the transcripts will serve in the meantime. I'll have to pick up the diplomas on my first visit back to NY. (I can't get the original diplomas apostilled because they've all been boarded and laminated - a graduation gift that I didn't care about one way or another at the time.)
kayt3k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neil

I'm from NY as well and trying to figure out what to get apostilled. As far as getting the degree/transcripts apostilled, do you know if I have to go to my actual University to get them stamped first? For some reason this is what my University told me. I'm hoping there's a way around that because it's a 5 hour trip away. I've been reading around and there's so much information out there I feel like I am lost. Since you have done this recently, do you mind providing me a few steps on how to actually go about this? It would be really helpful!
Anyways, where in Mexico are you thinking of going? Are you going there with a fresh start looking for work, or have you made arrangements before hand? I am thinking of just getting my degrees stamped and grabbing a plane to Guadalajara to travel for a bit and look for work. If anyone else has any further tips/advice for me I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Kay
McMurphy_RP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kay,

Thanks for your question! Since I'm just starting with this, I've been asking question after question on the forum, and it's good to be able to finally contribute something.

You do have to start with the school. Here is the information I got from a government website about how to have your documents apostilled:

"Education documents (transcripts, diplomas or certificates) must be
obtained from an official of the school, college or university who
must certify that the document is an official record or a true copy of
the original document. The official's signature must be notarized by a
notary public. The document must then be presented to the County
Clerk's Office in the county where the notary public is qualified to
certify the signature of the notary public. The document can then be
presented to the New York State Department of State for
authentication."

Just based on that, it looks like even if you could get the school to do what they need to do with the diploma and notarize it without your being present (which should be possible), you'd still have to take it to the County Clerk in the county where the school sits, unless you can get somebody there to do that for you.

As for your plans, I don't know whether they're any good, but mine are similar. I'm planning to go to Oaxaca and spend some time in an intensive Spanish-language program during which I'll do a homestay. (Haven't chosen a Spanish-language school yet; I'd prefer to see them before registering.) After that my tentative plan is to look for a job teaching English. My teaching qualifications are strong and I have considerable experience, but I don't have a TEFL background, so I anticipate enrolling in a TEFL certification program before I look for a job.

Where in NY are you, and where is the University?
McMurphy_RP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: What to have apostilled? Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm having my birth certificate and academic transcripts apostilled. (I know the transcripts may be useless, but until my replacement diplomas arrive, they're the best I can do.) What about teaching certifications from New York? Will they carry any weight in Mexico? Anything else I've overlooked?
SaratheSlytherin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for! I knew it was here! Thanks!!
jeffelse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some free apostille information here:

http://apostillecentral.com/mexico.html

SaratheSlytherin wrote:
Just what I was looking for! I knew it was here! Thanks!!
rayzero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in TN here is what you have to do:
According to the Department of State in Nashville- If your degrees are from a TN school, Take all degrees and any honor certificates you may have to a notary in your county and have them notarized, then take certificates w/ notary seal to the notary department at your county clerk's office, ask for a notary verification form for each document you are wanting apostilled, then bring all that down to the Department of State in Nashville and they apostille the notary forms. Charge is $2 per document.
silvery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reports from Australians?

Would we be expected to return to Australia in order to have the "apostillisation" performed ?? Shocked
MarkM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvery wrote:
Any reports from Australians?

Would we be expected to return to Australia in order to have the "apostillisation" performed ?? Shocked

Have a look at this website http://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents.html
chromium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info about the apostille stuff. My question is this:

I have a BA, an MBA, and the DELTA.

Do I need to get all 3 apostillized? I'm from the States, so the uni degrees won't be a problem, but the Delta is obviously from the UK.

Do I need to get that apostillized or will the uni degrees suffice?

Thank you for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: