Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for a New(ish) Teacher in Mexico?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuck Gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Advice for a New(ish) Teacher in Mexico? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm a 32 year old Canadian woman looking to relocate to Mexico to teach. I have a BA earned in 2013 (unrelated field - Criminology and Psychology), as well as a TESOL certificate (I got it 10 years ago, however). I spent a year teaching kids, teens, and adults in Indonesia (also 10 years ago). I have a beginner level of Spanish (possibly intermediate if I am being generous with myself). I was hoping to draw upon the experience of this forum to answer a few questions I have:

1) Do my qualifications seem suitable for getting work fairly easily in Mexico? Do you think it will hurt me that my TESOL (and my teaching experience) is 10 years old? Do you think that the fact that my BA is in unrelated field will hurt me?

2) I’m wondering if people could suggest some of the best cities for me to research (in terms of lots of work, reasonable pay, low cost of living, and liveability?). I’m not too crazy about Mexico City.

3) Can anyone inform me about the current Apostille situation in Mexico for Canadians? Is this necessary? Do I need to have this done to my documents before I get there? Is anyone aware of the current process?

4) I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or information on other possible sources of part-time work or income (besides teaching, online teaching, and private lessons)?

5) Any other advice or information that you feel may be useful would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance Smile
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3) Canada isn’t a signatory to the Apostille Convention, so our equivalent is called ‘legalization’. Canadian documents for use abroad must be certified (legalized) twice; first the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and subsequently by the consulate of the receiving state (i.e. the Mexican Consulate). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention#Legalization.
You’d want your birth certificate and your degree certified (yes, even though it’s unrelated to ESL). Also your TESOL certificate – is it from Canada? If not, it should be apostilled in the country where you got it.
When I got my documents certified, it was relatively easy because I was in Ottawa at the time, and I could visit the relevant Foreign Affairs office and the Mexican Consulate in person. I’m afraid I don’t know what people in other parts of Canada do.
Canuck Gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is very helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: