Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cesky Krumlov

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler Davis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Cesky Krumlov Reply with quote

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I will be taking a CELTA class in Cambridge, England in a few days and am looking into teaching in Eastern Europe in 2004.

For reasons obvious to some, I want to avoid the tourist hoardes of Prague and from my online research have become enamored with the South Bohemian hamlet of Cesky Krumlov. The town is beautiful, cultured and gets enough backpacker traffic to not be too sleepy or stodgy. Unfortunately, according to the resources I have seen there are no language schools in town with the closest one being in Cesky Budejovice.

Does anyone have any information or experience about teaching or simply living in this area? Perhaps advice on time spent in places like Brno, Plzen or elsewhere a bit more off the beaten track?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks again!

Tyler
New York, New York
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesky Krumlov is indeed a beautiful town, one of my all time favourites. I doubt there is a language school because it is so small. Cesky Budejovice is a decent sized city and has non of Krumlov's charm.

You could probably work in one of the many hostels in Krumlov, but it's not teaching.
denise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesky Krumlov is absolutely gorgeous. It does get a bit overrun with tourists in the summer months, though--just so you know. Not the same types of tourists as in Prague, of course--Cesky Krumlov, as you mentioned in your post, has more of the backpacker-types. Still, it can get claustrophobic.

I actually heard the Ceske Budejovice was a nice place to teach--but that info came from a friend; I never taught there.

d
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Budweis Reply with quote

Cesky Budejovice is of course the Czech name for the town known in German as "Budweis". That is where "Budweiser" was first made. A beer-drinker's Mecca !

Sometimes I regret that I signed the pledge !
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pledge?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: The Pledge Reply with quote

"To sign the pledge" was to sign the undertaking that one would not use or deal in beer, wine or spirituous liquor.

Not so common now, but in the days when there was a strong temperance movement it was common - throughout the English-speaking world. "Signing the pledge" was what you did in order to become a member of the Temperance Movement. Today people are more likely to go to AA.

I do not drink so I talk about "signing the pledge" in an attempt to be humorous. Obviously this does not work with some people, who have never come across this expression. I assumed that everyone who speaks English as a native language would understand. Clearly not.
Tyler Davis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help and expertise...its often difficult to truly get a feel for a destination when all you have at your disposal are propagandistic tourism websites and the oftentimes overwhelmingly negative posts at Dave's Cafe.

At this point I'm really having a difficult time trying to narrow down the area of Eastern Europe that I would like to focus on. As usual, every area has its advantages and disadvantages and I suppose the only way to find out where I need to be is to go explore on my own.

I spent a year living in Galway, Ireland and in many ways I'd like a similiar experience. I want to avoid big cities because I'm trying to get *out* of Manhattan not replace it with another bustling metropolis...the sort of place where one can walk or ride a bike wherever you need to go. A place that can balance an authentic overseas experience with enough of an ex-pat scene so that I'm not the only native English speaker in town. Perhaps a college town to ensure that there's a thriving and youth-oriented nightlife even in the off-season? Finally, it would be nice to be close to a transportation hub that will allow me to explore the rest of the country and region without too much hassle. (I like off-the-beaten-path but out in the boondocks is too much.)

According to my guidebook and the various websites I've visited, I'm thinking about Cesky Krumlov (obviously). Other places that seem to have the sort of vibe I'm seeking are Dubrovnik, Croatia; Klaipeda, Lithuania; Parnu, Estonia; the Lake Balaton Region in Hungary...the list gets longer with the more research I do. Is there any place that's not to be missed?

Lastly, to clarify where I'm coming from, I think that I fall rather in between the two poles of ESL posters on this board. Some are career minded and have been in the game for decades whereas others are simply looking for the cheapest and easiest way to fart around overseas. Hmm. I plan on subletting my apartment and making my time in Europe a working holiday for about a year. But I'm not a fly-by-night type guy! If I'm going to teach I am going to get the best certification possible and give it my all.

Thanks again to all who have responded!

Tyler
New York, New York
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Croatia, Lithuania, Hungary, Bohemia Reply with quote

Well I think I would approach it differently. I would decide what country I wantred to go to and THEN zero in on place. I can appreciate that from the viewpoint of Manhattan, Europe may look like one place. I think the reality is a bit more complex.

What about Slovenia ? Slovakia is pretty good too. Avoid Slavonia. But in none of these places will you make a lot of money as an EFL teacher.
crispintp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: East Bohemia Reply with quote

Hi Tyler,

Exactly how "rustic" do you like your towns?

I spent 6 months at a friendly family-run school in a town called Nove Mesto nad Metuji, 150 km east of prague and next to the Polish border. Nove Mesto has a population of 10,000, and the area is littered with lots of small villages approximately 5km apart.

I eventually left because I prefer the amenities that big cities have to offer. It could be quite isolating and boring at times, but if it's long cycle rides, mountains (including winter skiing), and authenticity you want, then this is your place.

Here is the address of the school :

Vladimir Sanovec, Sun School of English, Nachodska 440, Nove Mesto Nad Metuji Tel +420 491 470 073 email : [email protected]

I know for a fact that there are plenty of schools on either side of the Polish - Czech border which are all pretty desperate to hire native speakers.

I hope this helps.

Crispin
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: lingo Reply with quote

Once you have zeroed in on where you want to go then you should have a crack at the language, even before you go. In my observations those who make an attempt with the language have much more positive experiences than those who sigh and say:"Czech is the most difficult language." (Or Polish or Magyar or whatever)

Start off in a small way and use it in your everyday dealings. The effect is cumulative.
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Places to teach in Czech Republic Reply with quote

I spent one week on a fact finding whistle stop tour of the Czech Republic this past summer and visited all the towns/cities you mention and others. The objective was to look at language schools.

1. Brno. A good place to live and work. The second largest city in Czech. Republic, with most of the amenities that Prague offers at much cheaper prices and without the hordes of tourists. Saw several language schools, but would avoid Berlitz Brno, as they do not have good rep.

2. Plzen. Another large town, about 2 hours by bus from Prague. Attractive architecture. There are language schools here also. If you like soccer you are in luck because they are one of the top clubs in the Czech. Republic.

3. Liberec. This city is about 3 hours from Prague, close to both the former East German and Polish borders. Some very good skiing (alpine and cross country) in the area. A funky kind of town with one of the best public libraries in the Czech. Republic and also an 'avant garde' swimming pool (indoor) in which you can eat in the Restaurant above and watch the swimmers and divers below. Several language schools in this town and also the neighboring town - Jablonec. Liberec has one of the highest rainfall stats. (and snow in winter!) of the Republic, so bring appropriate gear.

I would definetely stay away from Prague, which is overrated downtown, and rather depressing in the suburbs. There is work in Prague but a lot of competition from other ex-pats. Rents are much higher also.

Czechs. often appear rather cool (the opposite of Turks for example), but once they know you they can be friendly in a quiet sort of way. Many people speak absolutely no English...rather surprising for a country set to become part of the European Union.
parrothead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tyler,

In my opinion there is no finer city in the Czech Republic than Olomouc. Cesky Krumlov is definitely a beauty, and I understand your desire perhaps to get away from Prague, but if you want to teach highly interested students who want to learn English go to Olomouc. The main university there, Palacky University, has 10,000+ potential clients. Rent is fairly affordable, and travel is too. You can likely live comfortably if you don't have any outstanding debts back home. You can check upol.cz for university work postings I believe.

Good luck in your search!
Andare

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Liberec Reply with quote

Liberec might be three hours from Prague by train but it's only seventy minutes and seventy five crowns away by coach. You're right about the library and the skiing though, and there is lots of work around at the minute. I agree about Prague as well - lovely place to visit but horrible to live or work in. Unless you have a thing for small flats forty minutes away from your workplace and hordes of tourists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: