Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay 4 NGO placement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demitrescou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Pay 4 NGO placement? Reply with quote

Dilemma:

Pay 850 pounds (British) for a long term NGO placement in Cambodia, or fly out there and try to get one free of charge.

I know Cambodia is full of NGO's but it's a bit daunting to just go and look for a suitable placement. Also, the placement service will find me a position relevant to what I'm looking for.

Anyone here have experience with this stuff?
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, what's with this "paying an extravagant fee just to be allowed to volunteer" bullcrap? I've probably seen the same site. Seems like a scam to me.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of NGO work are you looking for? I remember visiting Cambodia years ago, and seeing all kinds of NGO work available with job postings in the newspapers.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be ludicrous to pay someone just for the "privilege" to volunteer, unless the volunteering position is something really high and mighty like being an astronaut. You're not supposed to pay money to work. They're supposed to pay you, or if it's a poor country like Cambodia, money isn't supposed to change hands at all. I don't know who these fee-charging volunteer agencies think they are, but they aren't fooling me!
seaoflove

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question. I too think that these volunteer for a fee places are dodgey. it is likely that the fees are the priority and that many make work to collect the fees. But then many NGO's may also be dodgey.

My second hand experience is too just show up where you want to be. They can see you. You can see them. More iof an adventure but at least you are in the driver's seat.

But then some people like being a passenger. So it depends on you.

A passenger can just sit and stare out the window. A passenger doesn't have to talk. A passenger can fall asleep. mmmmmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: