Site Search:
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: HELPPPPPPPPPP! Reply with quote

I have a friend teaching English in China. He is not having the best of experiences, so I am asking for advice on his behalf. The first school he worked for (who failed to change his tourist visa over to a Z visa, unbeknown to him)didn't pay regularly enough for survival. He started work today at a University but prior to this he was held by the police for overstaying his visa (which he thought had been taken care of...)and the police confiscated his passport. After signing a document saying he would pay a fine (money lent to him in advance from new employer) he was released into care of new employer. How can he get his passport back? How easy will it be to obtain another from the Australian embassy in Beijing and can he be barred from exiting if he obtains another passport and attempts to fly home? Lots of questions I know but I would appreciate feedback from anyone with similar experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 937
Location: fairmont city, illinois, USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it would be good if he paid that fine. with payment of the fine his passport would be returned. would getting a new passport be any use? he still would be short the proper documentation (visa) when he tries to pass through immigration. i haven't worked in the mainland in three years, so i hope someone with more up-to-date info can contribute.

best wishes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Posts: 167
Location: China & Montana, USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first things first... he should definately contact his consulate/embassy.... immediately.... and should make sure that his current contract isn't too binding because of the favor the university did for him..... the consulate/embassy should be able to help him get a new passport, and he shouldn't have been able to get a new visa without a passport... so need to figure out how that happened and if it is entirely legal.... he should also talk to the chinese embassy in his country and in china.... if possible he should forewarn other teachers who might be recruited by the school that he had the problem with.... during the entire thing he might want to recruit the services of an international legal consultant.... just to be on the safe side... best of luck to him....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 9138

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice given so far is right on spot!
First: Pay the fine (it is 500 RMB per day, and, if I am well-informed, the maximum fine is 2500 RMB.
Second: Make sure that the police give him a new tourist visa or an extension to the expired visa. That will cost extra, I suppose, but it is cheap. With that new tourist visa, he can stay legally until the relevant procedures have been completed - medical exam followed by an application by his employer to the PSB for a work visa.
The PSB, unfortunately, will have to approve this. So it is in everybody's interest to "be friends". That means, your friend needs to be seen as being "friends" with the authorities!

You may contact the consulate, but they could only interfere if the PSB fail to return your passport, and then it is going to escalate into a minor diplomatic spat!

I wonder, how did your friend fail to check on his status as employee of that other school? Surely he held his passport throughout the whole time? If not: NEVER SURRENDER YOUR PASSPORT - except when the application is going through to the PSB!

GOod luck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China