Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlin - what's the real deal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Berlin - what's the real deal? Reply with quote

Yes I've read all the stories on here and grim they are too. Furthermore my German friends there have told me how bad the economy is and I figured that if it's that bad for natives, a foreigner who doesn't speak German would have it worse. Nonetheless, Berlin remains one of my favourite cities in the world and if I could go there to work I would. So in that spirit, how much could a native speaker with EU passports, 5 years experience and CELTA reasonably expect to earn after taxes and deductions?
Jetset

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing like 1000 euros net..

Berlin is the shit though! i recommend living in Prenzlauerberg mann - es ist wunderschon, und da ist viele nicht teuer wohnungen Wink

you dont move to berlin for the money thats for sure, but wicked city to live in.
japanman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Berlin such a great city to live in? I've never been there so i'd love to know why. Planning a trip there next year you see.
All kinds of horrendous places are great to some people. I lived in Bangkok for a year and heard loads of people go on about how amazing it is, my opinion was a bit different to that. It's superfical hole. Also, lived in Osaka for three years, same old story. Loads of people love it but it's like a mixture between a spolit kid with too much pocket money and an old slag with too much make-up. However, most people say Kyoto isn't a good place to live at all. Been in Kyoto for five years and generaly enjoy it.
Anyway enough of this waffling. What are the plus points?
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 euro?! Jesus. That wouldn't keep a guy in beer. It would also be a near 40% drop on what I get in Riga and I doubt I'd be able to have a nice city centre flat for 180 euro a month either. Definitely agree about the "no better place to be poor" thing but properly enjoying big cities like that needs money.

So many possible great places to teach, too many p*ss poor salaries to be earned in them...
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanman wrote:
Why is Berlin such a great city to live in? I've never been there so i'd love to know why. Planning a trip there next year you see.
All kinds of horrendous places are great to some people. I lived in Bangkok for a year and heard loads of people go on about how amazing it is, my opinion was a bit different to that. It's superfical hole.

Yeah like Benidorm in Spain - working class Brit tourists can't get enough of it and it's full of streets where no one speaks Spanish, kiosks selling only British tabloid newspapers, faux Irish bars advertising 'authentic British menus' and drunk British tourists puking up - just what you'd go for Spain for right?

As for Berlin, I think it has everything that anyone could possibly want. Cheap, great nightlife, numerous museums and a great natural setting with lakes and forests only a metro trip away.
japanman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed true, hell to some people can be heaven to others.

So, what would you say are the negative points about Berlin?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-It is full of foreigners who think this -

"und da ist viele nicht teuer wohnungen"

is German !
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
-It is full of foreigners who think this -

"und da ist viele nicht teuer wohnungen"

is German !

That is German. What's your point?
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
japanman wrote:
All kinds of horrendous places are great to some people. I lived in Bangkok for a year and heard loads of people go on about how amazing it is, my opinion was a bit different to that. It's superfical hole.

Yeah like Benidorm in Spain - working class Brit tourists can't get enough of it and it's full of streets where no one speaks Spanish, kiosks selling only British tabloid newspapers, faux Irish bars advertising 'authentic British menus' and drunk British tourists puking up - just what you'd go for Spain for right?

As for Berlin, I think it has everything that anyone could possibly want. Cheap, great nightlife, numerous museums and a great natural setting with lakes and forests only a metro trip away.

Agreed about Berlin, but working class? So, what are the likes of you and me then? Are you royalty or something or just playing up front for Man Utd? I need a holiday this new year and might end up in Tenerife or wherever to get some half-decent weather. Like you, I speak no Spanish whatsoever so, although I�ll avoid Irish bars or reading Das Bild every morning, I�ll likely end up in some resort where I eat second rate tourist food. That�s life, isn�t it? But then again I like it. Happy christmas.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod

It may be a kind of German but is it is full of the most basic mistakes !
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Agreed about Berlin, but working class? So, what are the likes of you and me then? Are you royalty or something or just playing up front for Man Utd? I need a holiday this new year and might end up in Tenerife or wherever to get some half-decent weather.

I didn't say it was wrong because working class people go there. My close family (w.class like myself) do such trips and I've been there and Salou to meet up with them. I just don't get the point of going abroad purely to do things that you do every day at home.

Hod wrote:
Like you, I speak no Spanish whatsoever

Speak for yourself, I speak Spanish, have taught it and can get by just fine in Catalan so there are numerous decent places on the East Coast to visit and Benidorm sure ain't one of em! Have a great Xmas though be it in "Chavsburg an der Med" or elsewhere. Smile
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
Have a great Xmas though be it in "Chavsburg an der Med" or elsewhere. Smile

I can't wait. Vamos!
japanman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We appear to have gone off-topic a bit here. So what are the negative points of being in Berlin? Apart from the lack of grammatical accuracy of the non-German population. That is pretty universal I think, you should hear some of the shocking stuff people come out with in Japanese.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He started it! Nothing wrong with Chavsberg de la Frontera.

OK, I live in Berlin, but I�m an engineer. I was a teacher before in Frankfurt so can sort of comment.

With all its international bankers and such, Frankfurt has language schools on every corner. Whereas Berlin has very little commerce and industry but what it does have is humungous unemployment. I�ve not actively gone looking for schools here, but there just doesn�t seem to be as many as a place like Frankfurt.

So, you asked for just the negatives, and they have got to be � less work available.
japanman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering similar things over here too. there are just too many English speakers here looking for too few jobs. a big chain school went bankrupt last month, leaving 4000 teachers unemployed. Suddenly it's too easy for companies to find teachers and as a result the salary and conditions decline.
If i move to Europe though, i'd like to do something other than teaching but I don't know what. Came over to Asia ten years ago to have a laugh but now find myseld skilless. Common story though I expect.
What can you do in Germany other than teaching English? I can speak some German but i'm studying every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: