Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how does one register for this website?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swerlynstars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: how does one register for this website? Reply with quote

hello,

this may seem like a funny request since i am registered already. i had to write to dave to ask him where he hid the registration form.
now, my friend wants to register, but he doesn't know where to go...how does one register???

Question Shocked Question

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
shmooj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Not a funny request Reply with quote

Personally, having run one forum of my own, your request is not at all funny but perfectly normal.

I had to go the long way round to get registered as the email Dave gives for his contact on this website is no longer valid.

What I did was register on another forum and then copy the URL of that register page into my browser's address bar before finally changing one part of the address to "job" to enable me to register for the Job Discussion forum. Here's the URL for that

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/profile.php?mode=register

I got an auto generated reply that said I had to send Dave a bit about myself and a reason why I wanted to join the forum. This surprised me somewhat as I've joined many forums and never received this. So, I complied and the next day had a reply (perhaps electronically generated) saying I was allowed to post.

THough obviously Dave has the total right to run his forums how he wants to, it might be good (if you're reading this Dave!) to give us an explanation about this somewhere - perhaps in this topic would be good. I'm not saying he HAS to but I think newcomers would appreciate it.

For the record, I tried searching the web for other decent forums and found that there simply weren't that many so I'm very glad I'm now part of this one.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I had the EXACT same situation come up a few weeks ago. I had been registered, but for the life of me, couldn't recall how I hit the "magic button". So, I emailed the Grand Poopah (just kiddin' ya, Dave) for some assistance. He suggested my friend contact him directly. Which, I suppose is a good way to maintain it, but I was just trying to help out a friend who isn't entirely computer literate. I don't know if he ever did or not, as we don't see each other often and he doesn't check email frequently, either.
anto_funnfunn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Gee...i'm not the only one? Reply with quote

yup me too...thought i must be blind...i was thinking there'd be a link on the forums page with the word "Register" but for the life of me could not find it... i also emailed dave, and did a google search for the terms "dave's esl cafe register forums", and was led to the page (whew!) all the while i noticed new members listed a lot, so i kept thinking how do they do it Question

Cheers.
Q

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too spent a little time looking for that little "register" link. Glad I found this thread.

Q
MLE80

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Common Problem Reply with quote

Sounds like a very common problem. I too had to email Dave to figure it out. I vote for making it a little easier. I really thought I must be a card short of a full deck for not figuring it out myself. Good to know I'm not the only one!

emily
darkpoet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: How do I register? button member post reply login new user Reply with quote

First post!!!

Not that I haven't wanted to post here for a while but I was sure I would find that "Register" button around somewhere. And the only reason I'm adding to this thread is in the hope that when someone does a search for an answer they will come up with this thread. Thank you, Shmooj for that link, which I am gratuitiously adding here:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/profile.php?mode=register

Can someone please make this link part of a sticky in the newbies forum? Please?
Capergirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Bluenoser! Welcome Darkpoet. Smile We Nova Scotia folks are going to take over Dave's pretty soon. Wink
Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capergirl wrote:
Another Bluenoser! Welcome Darkpoet. Smile We Nova Scotia folks are going to take over Dave's pretty soon. Wink

Yes, that we are. Well, it's only a small step in our plans for world domination, but we all start somewhere.
oldfort

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: thanks, shmooj! Reply with quote

It would have taken me a lot longer to figure that out on my own.

and Bluenosers (lovely schooner, btw) best of luck with your plots Smile

Cheers~
Bendrix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm registered, but I can't get into the Korean Discussion Forum.
Any suggestions? Thanks. Question
darkpoet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay trying not to drag this too off-topic... but I can't help it. Bluenoser?
I'll also accept Haligonian, Maritimer, Nova Scotian, Atlantican, Honourary Newfie...

But the word I prefer is God's Chosen People From the Most Beautiful Corner of the Earth. And you're damn right we're taking over the world... When God said 'go forth' - well the Irish did a good job for awhile but we'll handle it from here...

Maybe if we ask nicely Dave will even give us our own forum... what should we call it? New Scot Nonsense?

As for the Korean forum... look at the top of the page. http://www.eslcafe.com/korea
Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Nova Scotia forum? We'd have about 4 000 posts in the "The Weather is Changable but Crappy" thread. Per day.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkpoet wrote:
Okay trying not to drag this too off-topic... but I can't help it. Bluenoser?
I'll also accept Haligonian, Maritimer, Nova Scotian, Atlantican, Honourary Newfie...

But the word I prefer is God's Chosen People From the Most Beautiful Corner of the Earth. And you're damn right we're taking over the world... When God said 'go forth' - well the Irish did a good job for awhile but we'll handle it from here...

Maybe if we ask nicely Dave will even give us our own forum... what should we call it? New Scot Nonsense?

Laughing

So how did you brave Hurricane Juan? I was in Halifax this weekend, and it looks like they did a great job cleaning it up. I wouldn't have even known there had been any damage at all. Smile

Gotta love Halifax. So are you a Trailer Park Boys fan also? Very Happy

Wolf wrote:
A Nova Scotia forum? We'd have about 4 000 posts in the "The Weather is Changable but Crappy" thread. Per day.

It was 22 degrees in Halifax this past weekend. It will probably snow tomorrow. Laughing Wink
darkpoet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurricane Juan was probably a joke compared to hurricanes and tropical storms in the Pacific but for an Atlantic storm it weighed in at 140km/hr (an offical measurement on McNabb's Island in the harbour reportedly was over 180!) - it was enough to rip shingles, bend metal... I don't think there's a car in the city now that doesn't have at least one dent from a branch or tree or worse...

Cleanup continues. Mind you 30 000 trees (never mind the branches) is a lot to pick up, especially when there's still other forms of damage (a few hundred people are still without power and I believe an elementary school is still closed due to a missing roof. I am crazy so I have to admit I liked the havoc. But I will miss the giant trees in the Public Gardens (sigh) and every park in the city...

And the weather's been even more moody than usual. It dropped down to 2 celsius last week for a day and it's around 25 now... Typical, in a way...

As for the Trail Park Boys... well, if I had cable I would be a real fan but sadly I don't. I like what I've seen of them (a dozen episodes)... Corey (yes, it's his real name) is my favorite because he taught my roomies how to swing dance a few years back before he finished at Dal. He's a character... who still owes me a Pearl Jam video I lent him...

I'm a newbie so maybe these side-tracks will be excused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: