Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching from September to May possible in Asia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Teaching from September to May possible in Asia? Reply with quote

I am currently teaching grades 4 and 5 English in a Private College in Turkey but am already thinking about my next job.

Are there any jobs out there that one could do from September to the end of April only? The reason for this is that I work in the food retailing business in Montreal (Canada) from May till September. This means I cannot work from May 1 to September 1.

Are there any Universities out there that go from September to May?
I am thinking about Japan or Taiwan or anywhere else with reasonable remuneration.

Previous experience includes one year in Guatemala and teaching E.S.L. in Montreal and regular F.S.L. in Whitby, Ontario (Durham Catholic Board).

My qualifications include a B.A., B.Ed., M.A., and full one year Certificate in T.E.S.L. I am a trained teacher from Canada, and certified to teach in Canada (Primary and Intermediate grades and French).

Fluent French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. Elementary level Turkish and Tagalog.

Thanks for any input.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: "FOOD RETAIL" Reply with quote

Food retail from May to September ?
What do you do ? Sell ice cream ?

These days that is probably more lucrative and intellectualy rewarding than teaching.

On reflection you could be a troll. Come on................................

Out with it THE TRUTH !
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For jobs in Japan:

High school (and similar) jobs start in April, so you will miss the hiring period. Besides, they don't hire for such temporary work.

Conversation schools sometimes, but rarely, do. (You may even be considered over-qualified by some conversation schools, but at least their hiring periods are throughout the year.) I know of only one place that hires on a temp basis (and they sponsor work visas). Westgate Corporation hires for 3-4 month periods.
http://www.westgate.co.jp

If your M.A. doesn't include some serious publications, I'd say you are out of luck getting hired by a university. (Besides, they hire for start dates in April like high schools, and contracts are for a year.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: