Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apply in or outside of France?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylarz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Apply in or outside of France? Reply with quote

I'm a non-EU citizen ,but I'm really hoping to work in France at some point.

You can spare me the negative talk of how it's virtually impossible for non-EU's to work legally in France , as I have friends who moved from California to Paris , and who have lived and worked there legally for the past 3 years. So, with that being said, I 'm aware it is possible to find legal work in France.

However, I'm not naive and realize it could take a fair amount of time securing a job in France. I have heard conflicting advice regarding this issue, so I'm wondering, is it better to arrive in France and just go around to every school within the country , dropping off resumes and hoping for the best, or is it better to apply from abroad within my native country?

Thanks Smile
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the country. Far easier. Employers would prefer to see you face to face I guess amongst other things. I have several friends working in France- granted they are British/Irish and have had no problems finding work. Good luck with it all- it's a beautiful country.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do both? University jobs for 2008/09 will start being advertised very soon so if that's the route you want to go down, you'd better start sending dossiers (CV, photocopies of certificates etc) pretty soon. Private sector is more flexible, but you've nothing to lose by sending a few CVs and letters in advance and following up when you arrive.
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skylarz,
Listen to your friend's friend's cousin's brother's advice, because they know everything about how things operate in France.
Qatarchic encourages young Americans to go to France - but then she is in Qatar, so obviously knows all about working in France

You can go to France and work wherever you want to. people will fall over themselves to give you a job, just because you want them to.

Forget all these negative stories about visas, work permits and stuff like that.

5 million Mexicans can work in the US without Green Cards or any other form of legal status so you can do the same in France, because, hey, you're an American and you can do whatever you want.

And if people see you working illegally I'm sure no one will report you to the Inspection du Travail, after all there's only 8.4% unemployment in France and only 25% of French people under the age of 25 can't get a job, whatever their qualifications.

Sarkozy may be cuddling up to Bush, but he does represent the Law and Order party back home and has introduced new anti-illegal immigration laws, but that won't impinge on what you want to do. You won't get put onto a plane and deported.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogan wrote:

Qatarchic encourages young Americans to go to France - but then she is in Qatar, so obviously knows all about working in France

I don't encourge young Americans to work in France. They will go regardless. How many times have we seen non-EU citizens post on the Italy, Spain, etc forums? How many times have people warned them against it? I'm just sick to death of telling people how difficult it will be to get a job- most seem intent on going regardless. Very few people have managed to get jobs there legally. People will go regardless of the situation and the numerous pieces of advice that people have given on the board. It's only when they arrive in the country themselves will they know just how difficult it will be to find work. I have been to France numerous times as I have very close friends who work in the field of EFL. I have also been offered several positions teaching in France (I am British) so I know a bit about the job scene.

At the end of the day citizens/passport holders of non-EU countries will continue to post messages on here and will just ignore the advice that people give them. It's only after landing in the country after a few weeks will they realise what the reality of the situation is. Some people just learn the hard way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: