Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job in the Czech Rep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lion72

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Finding a job in the Czech Rep. Reply with quote

Hey can anyone out there give me some advice of when and where I can find a job in the Czech Rep.?
I have solid credentials: TEFL Certficate, 4 yr.degree, and I have been in the field for a few years.

Thanks!!!

Lion72
denise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to generalize across the whole country, but the school that I worked for (a private language school) ran from September to June. Most of the hiring for the September starting date was in the late spring/summer, I believe. There was also a small flurry of hiring around December, for classes starting after the winter break in January. And of course, given the high turn-over rate in the field, we had people starting at all times in between.

OK, I've changed my mind--I am going to generalize, and if I am wrong, somebody can correct me... Private language schools will generally hire shortly in advance of their terms (Sept. and Jan.), but you can always give 'em your CV in the hopes that one of their teachers suddenly fled, leaving them with an immediate opening. I believe high schools and unis run on the same schedule. I was in Prague, but the schedules should be the same throughout the country.

As to where... Prague has the most jobs. There are opportunities everywhere, however (except, apparently, Cesky Krumlov--see the CK thread). It's really a matter of where you want to go: big city, small town, etc.

d
denise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum:

Language schools that do a lot of company teaching (and there are many of them...) may be more likely to hire throughout the year. If they get a new company contract, they need new teachers. I was hired in October & started almost immediately.

d
Andare

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Working in the Czech Republic Reply with quote

I think Denise's second post is pretty much spot on. I'm up in Liberec and there's plenty of work here, especially as it's so close to the German border with all the foreign investment that brings. Perhaps the Private schools have already done all their hiring but there are always 'situations' and there are plenty of agencies out there as well. I've been offered more work in the last week than I know what to do with. I noticed a couple of postings on tefl.com and expats.cz is also worth a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: