Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting into TESOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Getting into TESOL Reply with quote

My office mate Scot47 has taken a fit of the vapours after unjust criticicm here so he has asked me to post this on his behalf.

Some advice on getting into TESOL or TEFL or TESL or whatever the latest fashionable acronym is for Teaching English.

Get a university degree. English or Foreign Languages is good but other fields are usually okay. Learn at least one foreign language to some level of competence. Travel outside your native land. Go and see what lies outside your own neck of the woods.

Get some training. Teachers certification is good and so is exposure to the techniques of EFL training.

If you are going to do it long term expect to have a hard path as a permanent exile from your native land. If you are going to do it for a few years and then go back home try to think about the problems of slotting back into life in your native land.

Learn some humility. Arrogance does not go well with this job.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, mate! I couldn't agree with those words more. Good on scot47. I am a fan of his.

Cool
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humility?

Cool
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Humble Pie Reply with quote

Dear leeroy,
OK - you beat me to it. I'm a big fan of scot47's postings, especially the ones dealing with the Middle East. But scot47 and " humility " in the same sentence? Ah, somehow I can;t quite wrap my brain around that concept.
Well, let's put it this way - if scot47 does possess the sterling virtue of humility, I'll wager he's proud of doing so.
Regards,
John
ntropy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff. Should be required reading for everyone getting into the field. Agree with every point. Yes, humility. A hard one for many of us, but absolutely required.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: C&W Reply with quote

"Oh,Lord, it's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way."

As so often there is a line from a C&W song to illustrate what a pompous ass this Scot47 is !

But being a pompous ass does not mean that I lack insight !
Jeff Mohamed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Albulbul post of Oct 21 Reply with quote

I don't know whether Scot47 is a pompous ass or not, because I haven't met him or read enough of his posts. However, I thought that the advice in the Albulbul post was very sensible and would be helpful for people thinking of entering the field of English teaching.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Albulbul Reply with quote

Well I rather like being pompous! So there !

Albulbul was kind enough to post on my behalf when I was having a bout of hysteria induced by unfair criticism from some of those AWFUL people who post here.

Really I sometimes feel that one should have sal volatile in one's hand before reading some of these posts !

Thank God it is Ramadan and our vacation is just a few days away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: