Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Income if you learn the language and teach privates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Income if you learn the language and teach privates? Reply with quote

What sort of income could you pull in Bangkok or Phuket if you put serious effort into learning the language and teaching privates?
tedkarma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to give you a guesstimate without generally knowing your skills and qualifications. What you would you teach in private classes, for example? Are you a TOEFL or IELTS teacher? Business English? Kids?

How hard do you want to work? Seven nights a week?

Phuket will offer much less opportunity for private classes and a lower hourly fee than Bangkok - my opinion anyway. In Bangkok it is easy to land evening jobs at schools all over town. But depending on your specific skills and what you can sell the school on having you teach - your hourly rate could vary significantly - even just from school to school. But this is generally more reliable income than teaching private classes.

Sorry for the long non-answer.
chaz47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkarma wrote:
It is hard to give you a guesstimate without generally knowing your skills and qualifications. What you would you teach in private classes, for example? Are you a TOEFL or IELTS teacher? Business English? Kids?

How hard do you want to work? Seven nights a week?

Phuket will offer much less opportunity for private classes and a lower hourly fee than Bangkok - my opinion anyway. In Bangkok it is easy to land evening jobs at schools all over town. But depending on your specific skills and what you can sell the school on having you teach - your hourly rate could vary significantly - even just from school to school. But this is generally more reliable income than teaching private classes.

Sorry for the long non-answer.

Right now I teach reading, writing, speaking, etc. I know it sounds like a schtick. The Korean public school program wants you to teach all these skills in 40 minutes and I think I actually manage to pull it off fairly well.

I use lexical phrases and Dolch's sight words to focus on functional communication as soon as possible. In my first year I worked in a chain school that stressed accurate pronunciation so I've got a bit of bag of tricks for this.

It's my first attempt at curriculum design but it seems to work. I rely on a coteacher for translation of key vocabulary though, I need to learn the student's language so that I could be more effective.

I've thought about getting into TOEIC, TOEFL or IELTS but don't know where to begin. Is this a significant portion of the market or just the most lucrative?

I could work a little bit everyday of the week if necessary, I've learned that I am a creature of inertia... once in motion and all that. I'll have two and half years of experience when I start and could get a CELTA as well if it's worth the time.

Thanks for your input, if you have any more thoughts I would like to hear them. Please throw some guesstimates out there for me.
tedkarma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOEFL and IELTS, GMAT and other standardized tests tend to pay quite a bit better than regular "conversation" or other types of generic English classes. As do Business English classes.

If you want to maximize your income, just like anything else, get into a specialty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: