Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The People! Ulaanbaatar Mongolia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handsome Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: The People! Ulaanbaatar Mongolia. Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm thinking about going to teach in Ulaanbaatar. My question is this, what are the people like? I keep getting conflicting reports, that this city is extremely dangerous at night, but the Mongolians are nice people.

So come on, no BS! tell me how they really are.

I've done 5 years in South Korea, and if you can survive dealing with those people, you can survive anything. Very Happy
william wallace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a B.Ed, otherwise the salary will be 1/2-1/4 without one. The people are mostly nice, and it has a small town feel about it, something unheard of in 99 % of Asia. If you generally compare it to Korea - many times more friendly than Koreans(day/night,actually)
Seibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on UB.....

I've spent some time during the winter there but did not do any teaching.

The winters were obviously VERY cold and the accomodations did not look all that inviting by what I saw. A bit of a tougher gig than Korea.

Alot of the people seemed very unresponsive to the basic 'hello', 'thank you', etc. I wouldn't call them unfriendly, just not the most approachable....as compared to so many others around Asia (Thai, Vietnamese, etc).

I think it would be a wonderful idea to teach there. It's certainly one of the few places remaining in Asia that seems 'untouched' and genuine.

Go for it. The people I'm sure are great once you get to know them.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongolians look so similar to Koreans.

Ethnically the closest looking to Koreans than anywhere else I've seen in Asia by far.
vessel2000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Mongolians look so similar to Koreans.

Ethnically the closest looking to Koreans than anywhere else I've seen in Asia by far.

Thats because Koreans are direct decendants of Mongolians. Every time I mention part of my family comes from Mongolia, they tell me this.(I work in Korea)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: