Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving in KSA: business visa: renting and crossing borders

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Driving in KSA: business visa: renting and crossing borders Reply with quote

Just like before, the other day I popped in a few car rental agencies to get a long term rent in Riyadh. I am staying in Saudi on a business visa, so as far as I know getting a Saudi licence and buying a car is out of my reach. Hence the renting. However, I was surprised to hear from a few agents that it is now almost impossible to get the GCC permit for crossing borders if you only have a business visa, as the applications bounce back from the Traffic Police rejected, while people with iqamas and Saudi licences get it no problem.

Any insights on this? I would like to hear from people with business visas who drive in Saudi and have been to other GCC countries with their cars and/or got the permit recently.

Also, I was unable to get an offer below SAR 2000 per month. Is that realistic? Last time I got a good car for 1250 pm, but now I am thinking that was rather the exception than the standard.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DT
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a lot to me. Should get a better deal than that. Have you tried getting a local to do it for you ?
Balzac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Validity of foreign driving licences in KSA Reply with quote

Hi there,

This is slightly off topic but I'm sure others would benefit from knowing the answer to this question also.

Just out of curiosity, I have an English licence and a Thai licence. Are either/both of these valid in KSA and how easy is it to use them to hire a car?

Balzac
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that a closer examination will reveal that your driving licence, like your passport, is not ENGLISH but issued by the UK Government.

If you have an Iqama you can get a Saudi licence on the strength of the British one. You need an eye test. (Sometimes.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there is no such an English or Scottish driving license!
Either a British (or UK) driving license.
And you need a 'mouth' test! Laughing
Balzac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see,

nothing has changed here has it. Still the same people with too much time on their hands with cheap shots. Obviously, I meant I had a UK Driving licence issued in England.

Can we get over all this childish, pedantic scoring of points?! It's inane and seems the people who are the worst at this are the ones who've been treading these boards a while and have developed a smug, self-satisfied air - a know-it-all attitude that is very irritating.

Quit the semantics and just answer the question why don't you!

Balzac
Neil McBeath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, Balzac!

It's about time that someone reacted to the incessant topic-cloggers, who have nothing to say, but say it anyway.

To answer your question, the British Embassy in Riyadh ought to be able to authenticate your driving licence and that would allow you to get a Saudi Licence (or driving permit , or what have you).

The Thai licence could be more troublesome. Saudi-Thai relations aren't always harmonious - I belive that it's still officially forbidden for Saudi nationals to visit Thailand.
Balzac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I suspect that a closer examination will reveal that your driving licence, like your passport, is not ENGLISH but issued by the UK Government.

Scot47, I can be pedantic too. My passport was not issued by the UK Government and my avatar should have given that away. Does this negativity on my part make me look good. Look clever? Make me seem like I'm on top of things? No, and that's the way you look every time you nitpick and post these kinds of semantic non sequiturs.

Enough already. Nobody wants to read your pathetic attempts at trying to look clever or educated. IMHO, the people who do that are usually just compensating for the fact that they aren't clever or educated and need approval or to be seen to be so.

B
Balzac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil McBeath wrote:
Good for you, Balzac!

It's about time that someone reacted to the incessant topic-cloggers, who have nothing to say, but say it anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately, the numbers of these people keeps increasing every time I visit this board. I've been coming here on and off for more years than I care to mention and do it just to share information and hear others' opinions, not to get bogged down in silly little mind games or to listen to prejudice and propaganda. It makes me wonder what these people are like in the classroom and whether they treat their charges with such disdain. I hope this is not indicative of other westerners in KSA. Avoid these other three like the plague - Cleopatra, bje, and 007 - they were made with the same mould.

Quote:
To answer your question, the British Embassy in Riyadh ought to be able to authenticate your driving licence and that would allow you to get a Saudi Licence (or driving permit , or what have you).

Thanks for that. The kind of advice I was looking for.

Quote:
The Thai licence could be more troublesome. Saudi-Thai relations aren't always harmonious - I belive that it's still officially forbidden for Saudi nationals to visit Thailand.

I learnt something new here. I wasn't aware that Saudi nationals are still officially forbidden to visit Thailand. I guess it's the label for excessive alcohol and sex so probably isn't that surprising.

Thanks for a polite, informative post - a rarity these days.

Balzac
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: