Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Been in Saigon 2 months, Please read

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Been in Saigon 2 months, Please read Reply with quote

Ok folks please appreciate me sitting in this hot internet cafe and providing some info.

Also if I mispell some words bear with me the letters are illegible on the keybpoard.

I landed in Saigon on a Tuesday and found a job on fridaym at the firsr school I visited. I make 15 USD per hour, i work at this school 25 hours per week. I recently took a second job at a public secondary school for an additional 6 hours per week. my apt rent is 1,000,000 Viet dong per moenth, I make between 18-22,000,000 dong per moenth so I save about USD 1,000 per month. My apt is 20 mimutes from the school. I bought a chinese motorbike for 500USD and it is indispensible as the lack od public transport is apalling. Everything is extreneley cheap,I mean like a dream or something

Visa Upon arrival if you want to stay change our visa to a 6 month multiple entry visa costs 160 USD, your school will ask for this. Also have copies of your degree or transcripts copies are fine . I am paid every friday night (unusual in asia).

Fake stuff
Everything in Vn is fake
Fake pepsi- tastes like shit and everywhere
fake honda motorbikes. it said Honda everywhere but is actually a chinese replica and runs like chinese product.
fake polo, tommy, versace etc. everyhting is fake
Fake gasoline- they sell if everywhere be careful

Anyway I will try to write more soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wildbillLee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: YES Reply with quote

It's good to hear a voice reporting from Vietnam. I'll be in-contry one day myself, and I'm curious as to how events are unfolding for TEFL-people in Saigon. Very little is reported. Perhaps that's good. Keeps the ex-pat population down.
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the information...I do appreciate it! You are my new hero Very Happy . I'm happy to hear that things are going well for you. If you get a chance to report more, I'm sure everyone that reads this board will appreciate it.

Cheers,
Kirk
dez

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that visa upon arrival only for Americans? I'm Canadian.

Are there any other teacher forums for Vietnam that are more active than this one?

Kirk: Are you the Captain Kirk from the Korean board?
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dez,

I am afraid I am not "Captain Kirk" from the Korean board, but I have posted a few times over there as "James_T_Kirk", same as my alias here. I considered going to Korea for awhile, but recently I decided that I am much more intrigued by Southeast Asia. I liked the idea of making a lot of money in Korea, but that was about my only interest in the country, and money isn't everything!

Cheers,
Kirk
Cali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian will have an easier time than Americans getting a visa on arrival, but it can be a bit cheaper to buy in advance, so check it out. And with the visa on arrival you will be stuck in the unairconditioned airport for several hours at least that was the way it worked in Siagon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I spent two months in Ho Chi Minh City - July and August this year and was offered several teaching positions. I have contacts for three schools there if anyone wants them.

I am now living and working at a School in China.

Marlene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: