Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Requirements to work in Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marg252

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Requirements to work in Peru Reply with quote

At the time at which I plan on going there, I'll have 1 year of teaching in a private primary school in China under my belt along with an in class TESOL/TEFL. I will also be about 15 credits away from finishing my english degree, which I will finish while I'm there.

So, is that enough?

Thanks!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To teach at a language school, you usually just need to speak English.
DO you have a teaching license? BA or MA degree? You could teach at a school or an international school. See the LA job list and PM me if you want me info.
keepwalking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As naturegirl says, speaking English is enough for most language institutes. You'd find work on that alone but would probably have to do the dreaded split shifts, juggling work at several places to earn a decent-ish wage.

The bi-lingual schools are an option for you with your primary experience. The British Schools Peru website (google it) has all the details on all the schools, 6 of which are Lima-based and one of which is in Trujillo. There are also bi-lingual schools in Arequipa, Huaraz and Cajamarca.

What time of year are you planning to arrive? The school year here goes from February/March to December, as do universities. The language institutes hire people all year. If you were to be in situ around October/November time, you could get work in an institute and then apply to the bi-lingual schools for the following school year. You'd be considered because of your experience and also because you'd be in country and so easier to interview etc.

If you need any more advice, shout out on this board or pm me.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepwalking wrote:
As naturegirl says, speaking English is enough for most language institutes. You'd find work on that alone but would probably have to do the dreaded split shifts, juggling work at several places to earn a decent-ish wage.

The bi-lingual schools are an option for you with your primary experience. The British Schools Peru website (google it) has all the details on all the schools, 6 of which are Lima-based and one of which is in Trujillo. There are also bi-lingual schools in Arequipa, Huaraz and Cajamarca.

If you need any more advice, shout out on this board or pm me.

ON the LA job list, there-s lots of Peruvian school websites. If you-re interested in Trujillo, PM keepwalking, she could help you out. She-s at the top English school there. Institutes don-t pay well at all. I recommend staying away from Lima. It-s smoggy, stressful, longer commutes and the salary doesn-t compensate for all that. I made about 300 more USD, but worked a lot more and my commute went from 10 mintues to 1 and a half hours.

Schools pays from 500 to 700, better ones pay 25 or 30 K USD a year. INstitues pay 5 an hour.
marg252

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great advice everyone, thank you! I finish up my year in Shanghai over the summer, and I really want to do a year in SA next. I plan on backpacking for a few months, visiting my family and then heading down to SA next december. I want to pick a place, then find work when I get there. I posted on a few forums, but I think Peru and Chile are at the top of the list.

Thank you again! Smile
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points all around. I have noticed a lot of ESL instructors considering various Latin American nations, posting on the boards. Many are coming from Asian or European markets where documentation and credentials are of great importance. I can't stress enough that outside of Mexico, Argentina, and the more advanced ESL markets in LA, the need for various degrees and advanced credentials is secondary.

I agree 100% with naturegirl that pay at lang. institutes is generally very poor and likely unfulfilling work for someone with considerable ESL experience but it nonetheless does offer a foot in the door for a newbie. The key is to get enough hours, persist despite the long days and split shifts, and adjust to the various expectations that multiple employers may have of you. Also, recall the challenges of working under the table.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: