Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seacanvas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Ministry of Labour - bogus! Reply with quote

Just wanted to follow up here with my story. I wrote them back and told them that I wasn't interested and not going to Dubai.

Then I get this odd email out of nowhere from them. They just ignored my email and said that I needed to send them about $400 for them to process my work visa in the UAE. Evidently they don't even read their incoming emails.

So - it is confirmed - though I was 99% sure they were scamming me before this email - they really had the nerve to ask me for money after me telling them I didn't want "the job" They are using other alternate routes, however, new URLs to keep their scam alive. So beware.
MiBoo

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: uae ministry of labour scam Reply with quote

I've also received these emails, offering a position without interview and using a pretty convincing Ministry of Labour site with a .ae address. (I also did a google search for UAE ministy of labour and this site was the first hit... not sure if that means it's a clone or they are just really good at this scam!) Confused
They have yet to ask for any money (because I have stopped replying to their emails?) but just wanted to warn others. The emails are from Ibrahim Mohammed and Majed Zafar, address is [email protected].
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest version of this common scam:

This is to notify you that your application has been accepted and confirmed okay for a teaching position in Emirates National School Located at Mohamed Bin Zayed City, Abu Dhabi,United Arab Emirates.

However, The United Arab Emirates - Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs human resource team need your work entry permit/labour card document/approval inother to register your employment information online at http://www.mol.gov.ae/ownersservices/employeeCredential.aspx

Unfortunately your work entry permit/labour card number was not found,so you are advise to apply for your new work entry permit/labour card through General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs Email: [email protected]

Please note that ONLY General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners is responsible for final approval and issuance of your work entry permit/labour card in United Arab Emirates.

For your information, The Honorable Minister of Labour (H.E. Dr Ali Abdullah Al Kaabi) will issue your contract agreement which will be sent to you via speed-post along with your 2 way air ticket After registration of your employment..

The contract agreement contain all the terms and conditions of your employment and 1 year contract period[DATE]

TERMS OF SERVICE ARE LISTED AS FOLLOWS :-

Duty: English Conversational Teaching

Working Hours: 6 hours Daily (Monday to Thursday)

Monthly Salary: $3900USD

Severance payment: $5000USD will be paid upon completion of the 1 year contract.

Housing: Employer will provide private free furnished 2 room�s apartment. The basic household necessities include a bed, blanket, pillows, washing machine, air-conditioner, television, internet access, refrigerator, Gas cooker, hot water heater, chairs, table, wardrobe.

Transportation: 2 ways air ticket will be provided for Employee and family including airport pickup, welcome package, teacher handbook, orientation.

Any travel expenses incurred by the Employee will be reimbursed upon arrival in United Arab Emirates

Holiday: Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday including Ramadan and all National Holidays.

Employee will receive 1 month paid vacation on top of the already stipulated holidays (national holidays, Ramadan, Friday, Saturdays and Sundays).

Health Insurance: 100% Hospital bill will be paid by your employer.

UPFRONT PAYMENT OF SALARIES

The first monthly salary shall be paid in advance before employee embark on journey to assume duty.

This is to enable employee settle all domestic needs before travel. As such no excuses will be entertained on assumption of duty relating to default. Employees (Expatriates) are to note that 1MONTH UPFRONT SALARIES are paid as soon as Employees Procure and Process the relevant Work Entry Permit/Labour Card Documents from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs to enable registration of your employment information online at http://www.mol.gov.ae/ownersservices/employeeCredential.aspx by the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs human resource team.

EXPENSES BEFORE TRAVEL BY EMPLOYEES

Expenses made/incurred by the employee related to job before commencement of duties or Expenses made during Travel Plans, Processing of Travel Particulars ETC will be substantiated with receipts and Employer will reimburse the Employee not later than Five (5) working days after submission of Employee's expense Report and Receipts as proofs of such Expenses.

Employer however agrees to reimburse fully all Travel costs and Expenses made by Employee.

The agreement hereby binds Employer and Employee in that re-reimbursement will be made fully to Employees upon presentation of Expense Reports and Receipts of Expenses.

On no account will Employer accept to shoulder costs for Travel Expenses, Processing of Work Entry Permit/Labour Card Papers of Employee before Work sign-on. This is to possibly evade losses that may be accrued to Employer should Employee decide to decline Job Offer after certain Expenses must have been made by Employer. The agreement hereby binds Employer and Employee in that re-reimbursement will be made fully to Employees upon presentation of Expense Reports and Receipts of Expenses.

Hence Any expenses incurred during this process shall be refunded to the candidate after 5 working days of payment.

You are hereby required to endorse your name,signature,address,date as stated below and return the acceptance letter via email for our official records.

Sincerely
Rasheed Khalid
Undersecretary of Labour Sector
Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Al Salam Street, Al Matar
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Tel/Fax:0097126266168
Email: [email protected]
www.mol.gov.ae

Under The Control of UAE Ministry of Labour

ATT: XXXXXXXXX
We receive your message for work entry permit/Labour card application/procurement concerning your employment from United Arab Emirates Ministry of Labour.

This permit is given by Naturalization and Residency department to the foreigner who get approval from the place they are going to work.
The Naturalization and Residency department give the foreigner permission to enter the country for work.
* Work entry permit allows its holder to enter the country and work from date of issuing and stay for 3 years maximum from the date of entry.

To obtain work entry permit person must provide as follows:
Filled Application Form including International Passport Details.
Application Fee: $385USD per person.
Payable to Authorized Registrar/Receiver's Name: Mr. Salim Habib..
Office: Saeed bin Tahnoon St., Abu-Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Please search for your nearest Western Union Money Transfer Agents through
http://www.westernunion.com/info/agentLocator.asp?country=global

There is no other way for foreigners to procure the permit apart from this, if you want it to be done fast and accurate.
After entry permit approval then Work Visa will be stamped on your international passport at United Arab Emirates port of entry which proves the legal residence of an expatriate who have obtained entry permits or for relatives living with them in United Arab Emirates.

Please note that under The United Arab Emirates Employment Laws and Regulations, you are not entitle to engage in anything that can give you monetary reward until your Work entry permit/Labour Card is issued.

For your information, we attach blank application form to this email which should be filled and return to us via email along with your passport photograph attached in the form including your int'l passport copy,application fees payment receipt to enable us proceed for issuance of your Work entry permit/Labour Card which normally take 2-3 working day to be approved after all required documents and payment receipt are submitted and verified.

Furthermore,I hereby attached my Identification Card below for your perusal.
Thanks for your quick response.

Sincerely yours,

H.E. Saif Abdullah Al Shafar
United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Interior
Naturalization & Residency Administration-Dubai.

Dear XXXXXXXX
This is to inform you that your Labour card later came out today and you were given 3yrs permit from the day of your entry into United Arab Emirates.
Please we need International delivery permissions from Dubai Courts for delivery of your documents to abroad,so you are required to pay below Dubai Courts administrative fees through western union direct to Mr. Salim Habib... to enable us settle the designated offices for the delivery of your Labour Card/work permit via DHL tomorrow.
Applicants Affidavit For posting and submission----------$325USD
Applicants Filling fee-----------------------------------$210USD
Applicants Power of Attorney[For Posting]--------------$142USD
Applicants Stamp Duty---------------------------------$350USD
All Documents Legalization Fee-------------------------$110USD
DHL SPEED POST Delivery Charge[Parcels]--------------$150USD
Total: $1287USD
Also,you are required to fill-out all the blank space in the attached DHL FORM and return it back through Email Attachment.

Sincerely yours,

H.E. Saif Abdullah Al Shafar
United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Interior
Naturalization & Residency Administration-Dubai.

Most obvious errors:

Everyone works on Sunday in the Emirates
There is no such thing as "Conversation Classes" in the Gulf
Contracts never talk about "severance pay"
No one without an MA and/or extensive experience will get $3900
Never pay any money upfront to anyone - employers handle visas
No employers will pay salary before you depart
No Ministry would use Western Union - only scammers
All those bizarre fictional email addresses

ahmalone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: RE: ENGLISH TEACHING ACADEMY - in Deira, Dubai with a .tk Reply with quote

I recieved an "employment contract agreement" There is nothing in the contract that does not look legitimate. The only hook is the link to a visa company. I need a job, I have been interviewing and this place pulled my CV/resume off of an ESL site. The .TK is the only thing that worried me.

When you're a newbie (I already lost nearly $2000 interviewing with Teachaway and they are legitimate just unscrupulos) How do you know which groups are really recruiting and which ones are finding a way to cheat you?

http://uaeimmigrationonlineapplication.tk
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ask you to pay for a visa by Western Union, they are a scam... if there is a .tk anywhere, it is a scam. If there is an odd email address... check carefully... may be a scam.

And why did interviewing with Teachaway cost you this amount of money? We have had literally dozens of applicants and you are the first to mention any problems with them. (other than complaints of not being offered jobs)

Was this just travel expenses to the interview? I don't know of many places that do pay for the travel... certainly not at K-12 level. A few universities do and some of the jobs in Saudi... oil or military... but it is normally for only very well credentialed individuals.

VS
(BTW... watch out for that link... it brings an immediate attack with it that adware blocked)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a variant of them?

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=22074

Elementary, Secondary and University Positions throughout Central and South America

Posted By: Global Recruiters <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, 1 October 2010, at 5:31 p.m.

We have various open positions in Costa Rica, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Ecuador for Elementary, Secondary and some University posts for teaching English and other subjects in English. Most begin in February but some have immediate start dates. Teachers from US, Canada, Australia, Britain and New Zealand all welcome to apply.

Please contact me if your resume
[email protected]
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to know naturegirl... there is no information in that ad to tell us. You can't really go by the name of the recruiter (no way to know if it is the same "global" recruiter mentioned way back at the beginning of this thread).

We can only tag the scams by their use of certain details as mentioned above. Salary above norm for comparables... use of .tk in web addresses... requirement for applicant to send money for a visa by Western Union. We would know nothing of the rules for getting work visa in South America.

Just a gmail address and the name global recruiters is too little to go on...

VS
CdnInKorea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that .tk means it's a scam, but what does it mean? Is it a country? Which one?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a small Pacific island off New Zealand called Tokelau which lets anyone buy a domain name cheaply. So, .tk is commonly used by Spammers, Scammers, and Phishers. Certainly not every user of this domain is a crook, but a very high percentage of crooks are using it.

No legitimate school or university or government Ministry in the Middle East would be using such a domain name for anything.

VS
Richard62

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received a job offer from [email protected] after applying for a job in UAE on eslemployment.com. They are asking me to send 3864 AED via Western Union for a refundable e-ticket. They have been doing this since 2007. They must have deceived a lot of people, otherwise they would not continue doing this for years. What a pity. They are making a living out of this.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always plenty of naive people who are likely desperate for a job. It has slowed down as word has gone around.

We've all seen the famous Nigerian prince who needs to transfer his million dollars... and only needs your account numbers. I saw my first version of that in 1971 and it came in the mail to my boss in Maryland - a relatively small suburban real estate developer. It must keep working since versions of it appear regularly in our inboxes. There's a sucker born every minute...

I hope you informed the website carrying the advertisement.

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Salary in $$$? Reply with quote

In the Middle East:

I've never been offered a contract in US dollars.
I've never been heard of a work entry permit. The entry visa is provided by the employer.
In fact, some contracts clearly state that the "Labour Card" (residency visa) is the responsibility of the employer. Most employers will assist with the Identity Card, too.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the latest version added by a new member:

A ficticious company called Education Institute Sharjah is advertising for EFL teachers in the emirate. This is an elaborate scam. Please stay away!

First this 'company' will ask you an interview question which will then automatically result in you passing and being offered an immediate contract promising 4000+ dollars per/month.

It turned out this company, which does not even have an address (though claims PO Box 13801 Sharjah) uses a made-up phone line and features a web link which pertains to the Sharjah Education Zone and has nothing to do with the Institute.

Upon further inspection, a search on Dave's ESL Cafe, it appeared that the exact same words and sentences used in the correspondances from 'Jahfer' - the recruiter for 'Education Institute Sharjah' - were also featured in a scam centred on a private language school in Fujairah..In other words, a diversification of this exposed lie.

Whether these guys want to forge passports (from the required passport page scans) or steal money by asking for bank details, im not sure the precise nature of this scam. However, I can assure you that there is indeed no such place as the one they are claiming and urge you not to waste your time with this 'firm'.

The website featuring the advert for this job has now thankfully removed it from their listings.

This was my first observed TEFL industry scam and it got me good. Thankfully I realised before it was too late. Be careful people!

As for 'Jahfer', well following my assesment of his 'firm' and after writing to him to seek clarity in the major discrepancies, he is no longer in correspondance with me, which is a u-turn change from the 'Jahfer' that was emailing me every 5 minutes asking me for more details so I could proceed to the next stage of the application...!

The scam becomes an elaborate scam with the introduction of a fake website to really lull the scammed into the belief that they are on to the dream job:

http://educationinstitutesharjah.webs.com

I wish I knew who to contact to get this website shut down. I hope, however that anyone who comes across this job also comes across my post to stop them in their tracks before its too late.

For any more info, please contact me. Oh and sorry for the lack of clarity..this is my first post Embarassed

Stania
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest addition to the gang. Neither the school nor the street exists... though the names of both form a bit of a bad sex joke in Arabic. Zina refers to premarital sex in Egyptian Arabic... and "Harima" likely relates to "harem."

VS

ESL/ENGLISH TEACHING POSITIONS IN DUBAI

Jawad Kasan
ZINA LANGUAGE SCHOOL
26 Harima Street Dubai,
United Arab Emirates.
Tel/Fax: +971-4-282....
Email:info@zinalanguageschool.tk

EMPLOYMENT LETTER

Dear

Find as attached your letter of Employment, Contract conditionality and all other rules and regulations as stipulated by the law of the land.
Please,you are advise to review the attached Contract Agreement carefully so that you can confirm If the conditions is acceptable by you then print it out the attached Contract Agreement and endorse your signature with date and return it back to us for record purposes.
For your traveling Labour Card and work visas, you are advised to contact United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Labour/Dubai Naturalization & Residency Administration.

E-Mail: (deleted)

The above office is responsible for final approval and issuance of Labour Card and work visas.

Afterwards,let us know the convenient date of your departure to Dubai Int'l Airport as soon as you acquired your Labour Card and work visas, So that we can book for your 2ways Air ticket and also arrange for our staffs and driver who will pick you to your accommodation upon your arrival at Dubai Int'l Airport.

I look forward working with you soon."

They reel you in with a tempting offer, sending you a �contract agreement� you are asked to sign and return. Then you are required to get an entry visa from a fictitious source purporting to be Ministry of Interior, for which you are charged AED 1,657 or Equivalent $450. Actually if you work in Dubai, a mission visa costs AED 500.00 for 90 days and has to be applied for by your sponsor. So don�t send money for an entry permit. You�ll not get one and the scammers will have your $450.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another one...

Teachers conned by fake job adverts, dated Dec. 25, 2011
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/teachers-conned-by-false-job-adverts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: