Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IAT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knoxso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's Jan to mid June? 6 months - non stop without a break?
meteacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incedere

1. Being one of the first teachers at IAT, I am fully aware of the link with HCT. I know for a FACT that 2 principals have resigned, this is not because of the end of their contract. I also know for a FACT that one principal has been asked to leave and given his notice.

2. English teacher turnover - this may be the case at Dubai campus but over the 5 campuses there has been a massive turnover of English teachers in particular.

3. I am not comparing IAT to HCT in terms of salaries. IAT does not pay well when you consider that if you wanted to teach in a comparable government school you could be paid between 12 and 16000 AED per month! Yes, this is due to the 70% increase but still...
You earn your base salary, the rest is a housing allowance. Base salaries in most institutions are far better than IAT with housing allowances also being much better.

4. I don't disagree with supervision during break times, but it does happen. Just stating another fact.

5. Lesson plans....to be expected but more of an overview rather than a detailed plan should be accepted.

6. Nobody said anything about factory workers being "low life plebes" but as professionals in a so called professional institution there should be some trust in teachers and some flexibility...

To be quite honest with you Incedere, I find it quite amusing on forums like this when people who are obviously quite attached to their jobs get so emotional when someone has a differing opinion. I am not diagreeing with your comments, just merely stating points that are true facts about the company. You are the only individual who has given positive comments about this company...what does that tell you? I'm just giving my own opinion and my opinion is that a institution that is unable to treat its staff as professionals, cannot even offer PD and accepts English teachers with no qualifications is not really a desirable place to work. However, if you are happy then carry on.....So far we have only spoken about the main IAT program, why not carry on with regards to the new IELTS initiative, ADEC, VDEC, GHQ......I'm sure you must have some more positive comments to share with us. Unfortunately, being in a management position at IAT...I beg to differ!
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh! I guess I shouldn't have encouraged to get this thread back on topic...the topic sucks!
Incedere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never Ceased To Be Amazed wrote:
Gosh! I guess I shouldn't have encouraged to get this thread back on topic...the topic sucks!

Naw. You did us all a favour, bro. A dumbass with a Yankees cap has just done sat down with a bunch of Southies. All you gots to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.
Incedere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Well then, I guess that settles it! Reply with quote

Meteacher, I beg your forgiveness. I had no idea you were in a management position at IAT. If I had, I would have had to openly wonder why you were wading into a public forum to criticize your employer. Then perhaps I might have posited the ill advisement of biting the hand the feeds...etc, &c.

In any case...

Some words were exchanged, and views were made known,
Now here we stand, on ground neither yet own.

(Have to work on the meter a bit. Any takers? I'm looking for iambic pentameter, trochaic heptameters need not apply)

I shan't take issue with points one to five (been there, done that, refer to the relevant clause...), but the sixth and the unnumbered seventh point do rankle.

Regarding point six, you are absolutely right. Nobody said anything about factory workers being "low life plebes." Indeed nary was that phrase within the text. You see, that's why we refer to it as subtext, old chap. Just PM me and I'll provide the appropriate link to Dictionary.com.

Sorry. Ad hominem. My apologies.

Mea culpa.

Regarding point seven...

I am truly happy to have given you some bit of amusement. Indeed the ability to do so is a rare gift, precious and treasured for that very reason. However I do take exception to the implicit suggestion that I am being emotional.

Why do you think this? Because I use erudition and wit to describe the place that I work? Because I limit my use of exclamation points, all caps phrases, and earnestly numbered points when refusing to conform to the footstomping swarm?

I swear. You start calling me emotional, and I'm going to have to get all emotional your nom de plume.

My dear colleague, please do read back along this thread and tell me again where the emotion lay. If you do so and still say it is I whose humor is a deep choleric tinge, then I shall say "That's wonderful, that's super, you're so totally right" as I back out of the room with my eyes averted just so, so that I don't make any direct or challenging eye contact.

(That reminds me of that old joke. "Grandpa's pretty humorous today. His black bile's off the charts! *Ba-dum-bum!*)

As for being the only one who has anything positive to say, by golly how much positive do you think you're going to find on there boards, on any thread? Seriously. As you had no doubt already noted, there have been around 2000 views of this thread so far, and only around 50 posts. Thats a ratio of about 40 to 1. In broadcast radio, when calculating listenership, a good rule of thumb is that for every person who calls in, there are roughly several thousand who are listening. The vast majority do not like to wade in on debates such as this, but the disgruntled and bone picking masses sure as heck do.

Now this thing you said, what was it again...yes! Now I remember. You said that I am "quite obviously attached to [my job]." Tis' true. I am attached to my job. I tell you, I sure do love that paycheck. Hard to buy food and whatnot without it. But if you are implying that I 'love' my job, as in kick my heels up at my desk in blissful contentment, happy and wishing to be nowhere else but here, then no. Sorry to disappoint, Jefe, but if a better offer comes a' knocking, it ain't like I'm gonna be saying "take off, eh."

Now, about the IELTS initiative, if you want to get into it...(*sound of knuckles cracking*) please. Oh please do say yes. For I will metaphorically swing you around like a teddy bear and put you back in the kid's room. Yes sir, indeed, that sound you heard was my pink velvet gauntlet most definitely being thrown down.

But since I am sleepy now, I'll just head off to dreamland, sharpen my wit-of-the-staircase, and get all the good zingers and "energizers" (Gosh I love that word) ready so I can copy and paste them tomorrow.

Stoically,

Incedere
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: