Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kiev/Odessa city impressions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Kiev/Odessa city impressions? Reply with quote

Can anyone describe their impressions of Kiev/Odessa?

I've become quite interested in the country, and curious what impressions are of the cities for those who've lived there or worked there.

Kiev looks pretty interesting on youtube. Some cool, what are they, St.Michael statues I think, and just interesting gold dome architecture. I also read they have a really modern and extensive subway system as well?

How about Odessa and it's beaches? I heard the beaches are fairly mediocre, but it's a very popular beach scene nontheless because of it's location, etc.

What's the impressions of these two cities? People as well, etc.?
Larry Paradine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been to Kiev once, ten years ago. Then it was a run-down, dusty, third world type city, and I was charmed by it. I've heard that it's since become more like Moscow, in the sense that hordes of tourists have driven up prices, increased pollution and alienated many citizens who were warm and welcoming to foreigners in the immediate post-Soviet years. I too would be interested in reading more recent experiences.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: See Reply with quote

the discussion on the American English thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great thread on KIEV - probably the best anywhere in all of the forums.

I'll paste the link here in case anyone is reading thread titles and can't quickly find the other (as this forum will grow).

Great KIEV info:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=59400&start=15
canucktechie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Paradine wrote:
I've heard that it's since become more like Moscow, in the sense that hordes of tourists have driven up prices, increased pollution and alienated many citizens who were warm and welcoming to foreigners in the immediate post-Soviet years.

Kiev certainly gets a lot more Western tourists now than before they dropped the visa requirement in 2005, but I certainly wouldn't describe them as "hordes" like in Prague or Krakow, nor do I think there are anywhere near enough of them to have driven up prices in general or increased traffic any more than in, say, Warsaw, which is of comparable size. Kiev still gets more Russian visitors than from Western countries.

It's certainly more like Moscow now in that some people have more money to spend than they used to, but I think that's much more due to non-tourist factors, notably foreign investment such as real estate speculation, which has reached insane levels, and some trickle-down of Russian oil money.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: I have my doubts Reply with quote

that you can blame the tourists for the pollution as well. Maybe there is a little blowback regarding the ugly tourists who have scammed the women in reverse as well. By and large though, the only negatives I run into outside of the center of the city are irritation during communication. I have had wonderful experiences with young people who strike up conversations in coffeehouses, restaurants and McDonalds. I used to give away the little level one Penguin readers to young children who were trying to practice their English with me but my supplier couldn't keep enough stock (and it was getting expensive!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center of Kyiv is quite nice (that being the Khryshatuk area--hate spelling that name). Outside of the center the city is very much like most former Soviet cities. Righteous metro.
Odessa is a fun little city with above-average nightlife and a more cosmopolitan feel. The beaches are loads of fun (and have great scenery) in the summertime.
If I had to choose from those two cities to spend, say, a year (salaries being relatively equal), I'd definitely go with Odessa.
In the entire country, however, I'd go with L'viv (with the caveat that I'm a bit biased having spent two years there).
abauer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal take: Stunning architecture (Gov't buildings, Religious sites, etc). Most other places (i.e. residences, some local streets) are a bit dirty and looks a bit like the ghetto, but safe nonetheless. Overall, Kiev possesses a unique and charming atmosphere (as well as some women who are proper fit and bloody good food).
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Kiev/Odessa city impressions? Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Can anyone describe their impressions of Kiev/Odessa?

...I also read they have a really modern and extensive subway system as well?...

What's the impressions of these two cities? People as well, etc.?

Well, really modern if you wrote this a couple of decades ago. It is efficient, though. Not massively extensive but cheap and very useful.

I like living here. I live in Podol, just north of the centre and near the river. It's my favourite part of the city. Some quite old buildings and just a nice part of Kiev to live in. Not so cheap on the rent front.

What does get on my proverbials is the standard of driving and general thoughtlessness of drivers. Service in shops is general not very good, but it's possible to shrug this stuff off.

All in all, a good place to live as long as you have a reasonable salary.
EMH1969

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiev/Odessa city impressions? Reply with quote

Cardinal Synn wrote:

Well, really modern if you wrote this a couple of decades ago. It is efficient, though. Not massively extensive but cheap and very useful.

I like living here. I live in Podol, just north of the centre and near the river. It's my favourite part of the city. Some quite old buildings and just a nice part of Kiev to live in. Not so cheap on the rent front.

What does get on my proverbials is the standard of driving and general thoughtlessness of drivers. Service in shops is general not very good, but it's possible to shrug this stuff off.

And how would one go about getting a reasonable salary????
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kiev/Odessa city impressions? Reply with quote

EMH1969 wrote:
Cardinal Synn wrote:

Do I sense something in this question, or is it just me?
Find a school that pays a reasonable salary. Not rocket science. Get some privates too.
EMH1969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiev/Odessa city impressions? Reply with quote

Cardinal Synn wrote:
EMH1969 wrote:
Cardinal Synn wrote:

Find a school that pays a reasonable salary. Not rocket science. Get some privates too.

Not sure what you were sensing. I was asking a serious question. I've been interested in Ukraine for a while but from what I've read, teaching salaries are fairly low relative to cost of living and it can be hard to make ends meet. I was just looking for any pointers on how to get a decent salary.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: ESL in Ukraine Reply with quote

Do the basics. Are you trained? Do you have experience?

Get your resume/CV out and in circulation among the schools.

Do your research and get prepared.

PM me if you want more resources.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiev/Odessa city impressions? Reply with quote

EMH1969 wrote:
Cardinal Synn wrote:
EMH1969 wrote:
Cardinal Synn wrote:

Not sure what you were sensing. I was asking a serious question. I've been interested in Ukraine for a while but from what I've read, teaching salaries are fairly low relative to cost of living and it can be hard to make ends meet. I was just looking for any pointers on how to get a decent salary.

I think it was the "And" & multi ????? that did it.

I have to say it is quite hard to get a decent salary here as a teacher, but a reasonable one is attainable. Experience will get you far. If you haven't got much experience, the likes of London School of English is a good bet, but don't expect a great salary. You will be well looked after, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: